IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

No Nav destination override on '07 IS

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-06 | 07:55 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, Magellan. Let's just agree we're at different poles of the magnet when it comes to cars and driving and leave it at that. I think you're being overly-critical and you think I'm being irresponsible. Maybe we're just misunderstanding each other's points. In any case, we've pretty well made our respective points.

And congratulations on the pilot ratings - I know that takes a lot of skill and dedication, since I've logged a few cockpit hours myself.
Old 09-10-06 | 03:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Magellan - I spent 20 years in the Air Force doing aircraft maintenance and ground electronics maintenance (and maintaining things for which there was no documentation), and yes, on aircraft, absolutely it gets done by the book every single time. I never signed off a job as complete unless it met all the requirements set in the T.O.

I've built and prepared racing machines of various types and sizes over the years from 1/4 mile dirt track and 1/2 mile asphalt to roadracing motorcycles from 125cc to 1200cc. Same thing - by the book, because the driver expects the vehicle to work without fail. Failing to follow established standards and procedures results in an unreliable vehicle, and to finish first, one must first finish.

There is no T.O. for driving. We don't have FAA rules to guide us in operating our cars. In fact, the automobile driving world isn't even in the same league as aircraft operations despite the potential hazards being quite similar in their results. It's no mystery you are far safer above 10,000 feet than you are on any surface roadway. Certainly if we applied the same rules and requirements to driving that we have for flying, the roads would be far safer (and more like Germany). But we don't.

So, it is entirely up to the individual to assess the situation, and (hopefully) make wise decisions about attention management. With zero threat of a no-notice ride along by a competent authority, what could possibly place concern or fear about competency in the hearts of the motoring public?

We have similar backgrounds, but clearly we see this particular issue differently. Let's agree to disagree.
Old 09-10-06 | 04:47 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Certainly if we applied the same rules and requirements to driving that we have for flying, the roads would be far safer (and more like Germany). But we don't.
I'm sure you understand that my analogy regarding flying/driving was an attempt to explain as a pilot my bias on this issue. Certainly I agree with your post, including that the requirements are different. It’s not practical of course, nor even warranted, but if the requirements were the same, I bet this nav-hack business would be first to go!
Old 09-10-06 | 06:28 PM
doesun
Driver School Candidate

So all this talk, is there a hack (without cutting wires) for the nav for the 2007 yet?
Old 09-18-06 | 08:17 PM
genyosai
Driver

Originally Posted by Technique
Anyone else with an 07 and NAV tried the destination override sequence? I would be surprised if it's "gone" completely... More likely it's simply changed to something else...
Hey.

I'm glad to find this post! I thought I was crazy. I have an '06 IS350 where the override works. I had an '06 GS300 that worked, too. 3 weeks ago, I traded my GS300 for the '07 GS450h and the override sequence doesn't work!

I think Goober here screwed it up for us:
http://hybridcars.about.com/od/owner...vigation_8.htm

Told the world (Toyota included) that customers are using this feature.

Hey... could it be the version 6 DVD software disc blocking this feature at boot? I think I'll try taking the version 5 DVD from my IS350 and put it in the GS450h to see what happens. I'm sure the ML units in each car is the same.

--nick
Old 09-18-06 | 08:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

If you do this, I think you'll need to remove the power fuses to get the full boot sequence. It may take the previously loaded information and just complain about your DVD version unless you power it all the way down. But you're in uncharted waters with this for sure, and I know I'm keen on knowing what happens here.

This is actually one of the tests that will help determine if there is an operating system flashed into the nav or if it loads with the CD
Old 09-18-06 | 11:25 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Hello. Yes please find out if the 2006 software disc swap into a 2007 would feature the software override. Please find out and let us know.

Thank you
Old 09-19-06 | 05:20 AM
genyosai
Driver

You could be right in that the system may just complain. There are a few with 450h's that the override works. If I'm not mistaken, their systems are pre-v6 dvd. I'm assuming that the hardware is the same since I've received an email from my dealer asking me to upgrade my '06 IS350 navi to dvd v6. Hopefully Toyota didn't go so far as to make the '07 hardware compatible with only v6 dvd and up... wouldn't make much sense, feasably. But then again... they definitely have the money to blow on something as insignificant as this.

I'll try the swap, but probably not before this weekend.

I'll be sure to post my findings (if someone doesn't beat me to it).

--nick
Old 09-20-06 | 09:00 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Talking

Originally Posted by hotdawg
I picked up my '07 IS350 on Saturday

One thing I've not seen posted here yet... I can't override the Nav destination restriction using the menu, volume, etc. trick. Pressing on the upper left corner of the display does nothing. I've read the posts and followed the directions, but no luck. Looks like this method is gone.
I must confess it’s my doing here. I called Toyota headquarters awhile back and turned you hack-crazed, MIT dropouts in. That’s why it doesn’t work on the 07’s. They also promised me for 2008 they plan to install chemical explosive bolts behind the nav panel which will turn the person who attempts a nav hack impotent and partially blind for one year. Now that’s what I call customer service!
Old 09-20-06 | 01:36 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

WOW!! I'm all for a "good kicking" of a dead horse, but this thread takes it to a new level
Old 09-20-06 | 04:26 PM
Mr. Pagz
Driver School Candidate

Default No Override Found Yet!

Well I didnt read the entire chain so I am going to be Captain Obvious here.....

I just got my 07 IS 350 last night and love it but can't help but be super annoyed by the fact I can't access the Nav functions while driving!

I read the posts expalining how the override was supposed to work but it for sure does not work the same way in my car either.

I'm sure there is a way. Hopefully we can all put our heads together and find somone that's figured it out or can definitely say that it's no longer possible.

Last edited by Mr. Pagz; 09-20-06 at 05:15 PM. Reason: being stupid
Old 10-14-06 | 05:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I've asked this once, but didn't get a reply, so I'll bring it up again:

Does anyone REALLY know for sure that the Nav's operating system is on the same DVD as the map data?

I know for a fact the two other systems I've dealt with (Acura's and Infiniti's) have their OS built into the Nav's head unit. In fact, to update even the map data, you have to have 2 discs - one to "prep" the system for the upgrade and the other to install the new map data.

Now, the "prep" disc also contains any updates to the OS, so it kills two birds with the same rock, but the fact remains that the OS isn't on the map disc.

I've hacked both the Infiniti system (to enable programming while moving) and the Acura system (to add features), and different map DVD's make no difference. In fact, both systems can be returned to the OEM OS by simply rebooting them, so it's definitely built-in.

So I'm wondering if the earlier posts about the OS being on the DVD are correct?

Reviving an ancient thread. I came across something interesting today.

Does this map from the Eclipse look familiar to anyone else?

So now I wonder if it might be possible to get an Eclipse map DVD and patch together with the Lexus DVD to arrive at a fully functional device without cutting any wires. Anyone working on this?
Old 10-14-06 | 08:53 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

I don't want to get into an argument either way on whether it is good idea to hack or not. But to add another perspective I work for one of the largest companies in the USA and it has been company policy for the last four years or so to PROHIBIT any employee, or contractor, worldwide from using a cell phone while driving while on company time. This includes 'hands free' units. The ban is based on research that shows the distraction from using a cell phone is real. Whether or not one agrees with this situation is immaterial. It's the policy, and essentially a condition of employment. Would anyone know if you are using cell phone while driving? No, but I've never seen anyone use one while driving while on company business. Like seatbelts, sometimes you just have to do what the 'powers that be' say to do.

Obviously the Lexus restriction is based on a perceived liability from folks trying to enter data while driving at 70mph. All it takes is one yokel to rear end somebody and then sue for 'not being told' that it was dangerous to use the NAV system while driving.
Old 10-14-06 | 09:25 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Obviously the Lexus restriction is based on a perceived liability from folks trying to enter data while driving at 70mph. All it takes is one yokel to rear end somebody and then sue for 'not being told' that it was dangerous to use the NAV system while driving.
What you say is true, but it is not obvious to many here. Be prepared to be hammered over the head for your comments from those who either think the practice is perfectly safe, or from those hackers who will be damned before they’ll let any bureaucratic manufacturer restrict their right to do something they could do anyway through voice commands.
Old 10-14-06 | 09:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I think we're quite beyond discussing that, and all the opinions have been clearly stated.

How about we move on to genuinely altering the software to provide the thing that some of us would prefer to have since it was not provided by Lexus?

Quick Reply: No Nav destination override on '07 IS