IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

No Nav destination override on '07 IS

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-06 | 08:45 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kensteele
what if it is safer if he toys with the computer screen at 60mph because it would be less safe for everyone if he pulls over and even more unsafe it he [wrongly] exits the freeway althogether because his company is not as smart [safe] as him?
Never can understand why people think it is somehow safer to goof around with an electronic object at 60mph than to find a shoulder and pull off and do your inputting. That's just another excuse. If your vehicle breaks down or has a flat you HAVE to pull onto the shoulder. I drive in Houston and they have some of the wickedest freeways around (try driving the Katy freeway now as they reconstruct it), and yes there are some parts of the freeway (under construction or heavy traffic) where it wouldn't be smart to immediately pull over, but you can usually find a clean area within a mile or so. So why does everyone think it is so dangerous and difficult? And I don't understand your last statement....why is it more unsafe if he exits the freeway? He can always get back on.

These threads always degenerate into an "I want to do it whether it is unsafe, illegal, or against company policy because a) I'm smarter and a better driver than everyone else, b) this is American and we can do what we want, or c) the law is stupid and I'm just not going to obey it". Take your pick.
Old 11-25-06 | 09:03 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

evitzee, i was just kidding. obviously.

sorry, it's late. where's the community spirit?
Old 11-25-06 | 09:18 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

The instructions works perfectly the first time on my '06
Old 11-25-06 | 09:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Evitzee
...If your vehicle breaks down or has a flat you HAVE to pull onto the shoulder...
Apparently you haven't seen all the videos of police officers getting hit by other motorists on traffic stops. It's far more common than you think.

Do you realize is it illegal in most states to stop on a limited access road unless your car is broken down? What then? Can't stop without a problem, but reprogramming your nav system isn't a mechanical problem, so now you're breaking the law. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Sorry for the off topic again, but I'd really rather discuss how to get the features I want from the device I paid a lot of money to have in my car.
Old 11-25-06 | 09:55 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

I’m sorry. This business of pulling over to input destinations being more dangerous than doing it while moving at 60mph is, IMHO, a line of crap. It’s just another rationalization made up by the nav-hack contingent to justify what common sense tells us is inherently dangerous.
Old 11-25-06 | 10:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

It's not a rationalization, it's ILLEGAL TO STOP. You get a ticket in California for running out of gas on the freeway. NEXT....
Old 11-25-06 | 10:59 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 500000

Personally, I will always be operating my nav and inputing destinations while driving... And will help anyone else who wishes to do the same... And to all of you soccer moms that like to whine and nag on the forums here: There are tens of thousands of people each night doing more dangerous things while driving than inputting a dest on a nav, such as driving while blackout drunk or on drugs or any other number of things... So, sleep with one eye open and stay off our threads... We don't need your opinions about how "dangerous" we are...

And finally, remember, no matter how much arguing or thread hiijacking you do, there is NOTHING you can ever do to stop us from hacking our navs... No matter how much you complain and whine and moan, we are out there... You have to live with it, you have no choice...

Last edited by Technique; 11-26-06 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-26-06 | 08:58 AM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

can we stop arguing and thread crapping? This thread is about how to enable this feature. if you don't like it please just don't post.
Old 11-26-06 | 10:29 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It's not a rationalization, it's ILLEGAL TO STOP. You get a ticket in California for running out of gas on the freeway. NEXT....
See, this is what I’m saying. You guys are just making it up as you go along. I’ve been driving in California for 40 years and I’ve never heard of it being illegal to stop off to the right on a freeway, especially if there’s a CHP behind you shining that big red light.

Maybe that’s why there’s so many of those TV car chases; the driver wants to stop but he goes on for fear of breaking the law.
Old 11-26-06 | 07:36 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 500000

Let's ignore the soccer moms (i.e. - Don't feed the safety trolls) and get back on topic!

UPDATE: Myself and a few others have been working diligently on a fix for the V6.1 DVD (2007) lack of override. We are testing several methods and will report back soon with our results. We will have a fix hopefully by the end of the week. I'll keep everyone updated... Stay tuned...
Old 11-27-06 | 07:39 AM
totalstu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Technique
UPDATE: Myself and a few others have been working diligently on a fix for the V6.1 DVD (2007) lack of override. We are testing several methods and will report back soon with our results. We will have a fix hopefully by the end of the week. I'll keep everyone updated... Stay tuned...
Well, this is intriguing and welcome news. Looking forward to updates. Thanks for trying to make it work.
Old 11-27-06 | 10:00 AM
sickntired
Intermediate

Technique: yeah, thanks for trying. Keep us posted.
Old 11-27-06 | 04:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Magellan
...I’ve been driving in California for 40 years and I’ve never heard of it being illegal to stop off to the right on a freeway, especially if there’s a CHP behind you shining that big red light.
Tasty crow today Magellan? 40 years does not mean you know the law, and yes, the law clearly states unless at the direction of a peace officer.

From here.

22504. (a) Upon any highway in unincorporated areas no person shall stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, upon the roadway when it is practicable to stop, park, or leave the vehicle off such portion of the highway, but in every event an unobstructed width of the highway opposite a standing vehicle shall be left for the free passage of other vehicles and a clear view of the stopped vehicle shall be available from a distance of 200 feet in each direction upon the highway. This section shall not apply upon a highway where the roadway is bounded by adjacent curbs.
(b) This section shall not apply to the driver of any vehicle which is disabled in such a manner and to such extent that it is impossible to avoid stopping and temporarily leaving the disabled vehicle on the roadway.
Done feeding the safetycrats. Back to solving the problem at hand.
Old 11-27-06 | 04:47 PM
07Txlex
Pole Position

This is why I like LOBUX.. He talks crap but has PROOF to back it up 99.99% of the time.. lmao
Old 11-27-06 | 05:04 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Tasty crow today Magellan? 40 years does not mean you know the law, and yes, the law clearly states unless at the direction of a peace officer.

From here.

Done feeding the safetycrats. Back to solving the problem at hand.
that's your law for getting ticketed for running out of gasoline on the freeway? I think you might need to read that over again.

i know this is a nav override thread but until that topic comes to some sort of resolution (i hope it does soon because i would like to upgrade maps), i imagine we MIGHT have some further discussion.....

btw, not taking sides.

Quick Reply: No Nav destination override on '07 IS