IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

No Nav destination override on '07 IS

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-06 | 05:07 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Tasty crow today Magellan? 40 years does not mean you know the law, and yes, the law clearly states unless at the direction of a peace officer.

Done feeding the safetycrats. Back to solving the problem at hand.
22504. (a) Upon any highway in unincorporated areas no person shall stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle, whether attended or unattended, upon the roadway when it is practicable to stop, park, or leave the vehicle off such portion of the highway, but in every event an unobstructed width of the highway opposite a standing vehicle shall be left for the free passage of other vehicles and a clear view of the stopped vehicle shall be available from a distance of 200 feet in each direction upon the highway. This section shall not apply upon a highway where the roadway is bounded by adjacent curbs.
(b) This section shall not apply to the driver of any vehicle which is disabled in such a manner and to such extent that it is impossible to avoid stopping and temporarily leaving the disabled vehicle on the roadway.
Sorry, no crow pie for me today. The statute you posted clearly says one cannot stop “upon the roadway.” Furthermore, it suggests you CAN stop “off such portion of the highway,” as long as there is free passage of other vehicles, etc. I don’t know how else to interpret that but allowing one to pull over to the side of the road, out of the traffic lanes at any time like I've been doing for 40 years.

Now I hope you didn’t think I was suggesting everybody stop in the middle of a freeway to input destinations. Or did you?

At any rate, by popular demand, I will refrain from posting anything more in this thread.
Old 11-29-06 | 09:29 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 500000

As promised, the workaround we figured out has been posted:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho....php?p=2264245
Old 12-13-06 | 05:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Magellan
Sorry, no crow pie for me today. The statute you posted clearly says one cannot stop “upon the roadway.” Furthermore, it suggests you CAN stop “off such portion of the highway,” as long as there is free passage of other vehicles, etc. I don’t know how else to interpret that but allowing one to pull over to the side of the road, out of the traffic lanes at any time like I've been doing for 40 years.

Now I hope you didn’t think I was suggesting everybody stop in the middle of a freeway to input destinations. Or did you?

At any rate, by popular demand, I will refrain from posting anything more in this thread.
Just for you Magellan, I found the correct code:

21718. (a) No person shall stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle upon a freeway which has full control of access and no crossings at grade except:
(1) When necessary to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.
(2) When required by law or in obedience to a peace officer or official traffic control device.
(3) When any person is actually engaged in maintenance or construction on freeway property or any employee of a public agency is actually engaged in the performance of official duties.
(4) When any vehicle is so disabled that it is impossible to avoid temporarily stopping and another vehicle has been summoned to render assistance to the disabled vehicle or driver of the disabled vehicle. This paragraph applies when the vehicle summoned to render assistance is a vehicle owned by the donor of free emergency assistance that has been summoned by display upon or within a disabled vehicle of a placard or sign given to the driver of the disabled vehicle by the donor for the specific purpose of summoning assistance, other than towing service, from the donor.
(5) Where stopping, standing, or parking is specifically permitted. However, buses may not stop on freeways unless sidewalks are provided with shoulders of sufficient width to permit stopping without interfering with the normal movement of traffic and without the possibility of crossing over fast lanes to reach the bus stop.
(6) Where necessary for any person to report a traffic accident or other situation or incident to a peace officer or any person specified in paragraph (3), either directly or by means of an emergency telephone or similar device.
(7) When necessary for the purpose of rapid removal of impediments to traffic by the owner or operator of a tow truck operating under an agreement with the Department of the California Highway Patrol.
(b) A conviction of a violation of this section is a conviction involving the safe operation of a motor vehicle upon the highway if a notice to appear for the violation was issued by a peace officer described in Section 830.1 or 830.2 of the Penal Code.
So it is illegal to pull over on a freeway and change your destination on the nav. It's also illegal to pull over and talk on your cell phone. You are required by law to exit the freeway in order to do either of these things. 40 years of driving does not make you knowledgable of the law, just experienced with the driving task.
Old 12-13-06 | 07:50 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

^^^i think you are still confused about the difference between "on the freeway" and "on the shoulder of the freeway." the statute above talks about "on the freeway" and from what i can gather, says nothing about "off the freeway." simply, just don't stop on the freeway, pull over into the breakdown lane off the freeway if you need to stop for whatever reason.

also i thought you said something about running out of gas will get you are ticket as well?

anyway, fyi for everyone, most states have this same law about stopping on the freeway which is certainly a road with full control of access (freeway is a limited access road so that counts as full control) and no crossing at grade (no traffic lights, intersections are at a different level as in overpasses, etc)....but.......

leave standing mean left standing....and that can mean vehicle attended or unattended but somehow to me, pulling over on the side of the road to read a map is not parking, it's not stopping, and i don't think it qualifies as left standing either, i could be wrong.

o.t. but interesting (to me at least)
Old 12-14-06 | 12:17 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

No, I'm not confused at all. Ever see this sign?

This is exactly what the law means. It is illegal to pull onto the shoulder of the road instead of exiting the freeway unless your situation meets the conditions enumerated in a. 1 - 7.

Standing is exactly what you are doing if you pull over and remain in the vehicle, but do not continue with the flow of traffic.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 03-10-07 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-10-07 | 12:13 AM
BlueBerry3
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Hello everyone,

Just got my IS250 last week-end. She's (sorry, but feel like in a luxury boat ) black obsidian with ivory leather. Believe me or not, but I just read all of your 240 posts, to be sure not to miss anything.

I still got a question...

It seems that there's 2 hardware hack. One with the switch, and one without.

But What I didn't get for sure is if there is a possibility WITHOUT the switch hack to have DVD + MP3 + Phone book, without map side effects (jumps of the car). Of course I suppose without the ability to change the destination while moving.

Can you help with this ?

Also, a little UP! to that post so that it myght answer new IS owners questions and maybe interrest those newbies to find a new hack.

Also, as far we(07 owners) are concerned, we might maintain a thread or anything else were we could put all the combinations of touches on the screens (we tried without success) to discover a new menu. Certainaly, if a new combination exists, it would look like this :

On each screen, the only way the mechanic has to find the places the hidden buttons are, is if they are placed in rows. The buttons, not the mechanics ! That would mean 3 rows of 3 hidden buttons, so 9 buttons per screen. And we can eliminate the screens (or at least combinations) where shown buttons appears in place of eventual hidden buttons. You still follow me ? Don't you agree ?

So the places for hidden buttons might be :

upper left . upper middle . upper right

middle left . center . middle right

bottom left . bottom middle . bottom right

And we could have 5 touches combinations, 6 touches, 7 touches, 8 touches, etc...

Ok would anyone of the CL team be interested in giving it a try might open a topic on that subject.

Anyway, if anyone can answer my first question ?

Thank you already for your welcome on CL forums.

Blue.

Last edited by BlueBerry3; 03-10-07 at 05:08 AM.
Old 03-10-07 | 08:32 AM
nabisco
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BlueBerry3
Hello everyone,

Just got my IS250 last week-end. She's (sorry, but feel like in a luxury boat ) black obsidian with ivory leather. Believe me or not, but I just read all of your 240 posts, to be sure not to miss anything.

I still got a question...

It seems that there's 2 hardware hack. One with the switch, and one without.

But What I didn't get for sure is if there is a possibility WITHOUT the switch hack to have DVD + MP3 + Phone book, without map side effects (jumps of the car). Of course I suppose without the ability to change the destination while moving.

Can you help with this ?

Also, a little UP! to that post so that it myght answer new IS owners questions and maybe interrest those newbies to find a new hack.

Also, as far we(07 owners) are concerned, we might maintain a thread or anything else were we could put all the combinations of touches on the screens (we tried without success) to discover a new menu. Certainaly, if a new combination exists, it would look like this :

On each screen, the only way the mechanic has to find the places the hidden buttons are, is if they are placed in rows. The buttons, not the mechanics ! That would mean 3 rows of 3 hidden buttons, so 9 buttons per screen. And we can eliminate the screens (or at least combinations) where shown buttons appears in place of eventual hidden buttons. You still follow me ? Don't you agree ?

So the places for hidden buttons might be :

upper left . upper middle . upper right

middle left . center . middle right

bottom left . bottom middle . bottom right

And we could have 5 touches combinations, 6 touches, 7 touches, 8 touches, etc...

Ok would anyone of the CL team be interested in giving it a try might open a topic on that subject.

Anyway, if anyone can answer my first question ?

Thank you already for your welcome on CL forums.

Blue.
You can do that hack with no effects to the GPS
Old 03-10-07 | 10:04 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BlueBerry3

There is nothing to say that the new method is going to involve pushing unlabeled areas of the touchscreen. In fact the way to get into the diagnostic menu (that unfortunately doesn't have the override function) is to hold the "INFO" button while rapidly switching the stalk between OFF and "parking lights".