IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

No Nav destination override on '07 IS

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 10:25 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow that sucks. i am sure someone will figure it out sooner or later.

if not, you always have the hardware hack (switch install), although that is much more invasive.
Old 08-29-06, 11:39 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

The NAV override works fine in the pre production 2007 LS460 Lexus Marketing showed us earlier this year. But then again, the Gen 5 nav it had does not have the current software update back then.
Old 08-30-06, 01:23 AM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hotdawg
I picked up my '07 IS350 on Saturday

One thing I've not seen posted here yet... I can't override the Nav destination restriction using the menu, volume, etc. trick. Pressing on the upper left corner of the display does nothing. I've read the posts and followed the directions, but no luck. Looks like this method is gone.

It's still a SWEET ride.

'07 350 Black sport/Nav/ML
You have to push upper left.. than lower left.. and repeat..
Old 08-30-06, 04:01 AM
|mpulse
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hip_hop77
You have to push upper left.. than lower left.. and repeat..
Yeah, looks like he's doing it right.
Originally Posted by hotdawg
I've tried the nav hack about 10 times now. It does NOT work. Yes, I'm doing the Menu, Volume, top left corner, bottom left corner, top left corner, bottom left corner. Adding a bottom right corner to the end does nothing either. I've tried with the car running, ACC or IGN-ON, no dice.

The diagnostic menu DOES appear when you do the headlight switch trick.

Oh, and someone asked... the version on the map DVD is 06.01.
What's the headlight switch trick?
Old 08-30-06, 06:00 AM
duckduck
Pole Position

I guess the only way to do a Nav "Override" would be to actually cut into the wires (Nav Hack) on the '07. Bummer
Old 08-30-06, 06:48 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by duckduck
I guess the only way to do a Nav "Override" would be to actually cut into the wires (Nav Hack) on the '07. Bummer
Unforunately, the only electrical nav hack that does the same thing as the software overide is the one with a bad side effect: it makes the nav updates jumpy.
Old 08-30-06, 07:11 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Unforunately, the only electrical nav hack that does the same thing as the software overide is the one with a bad side effect: it makes the nav updates jumpy.
Correct. And I'm assuming you're talking about putting a switch in the VSS circuit.

I did that on my Infiniti M45, and not only does it make it jumpy, it can lose your position entirely, causing you to have to stop to re-acquire it (which of course defeats the whole purpose, doesn't it?). All in all, not a good solution IMO.
Old 08-30-06, 07:13 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
From what I've read, the only reason the nav gets jumpy is because people did not properly perform the hack. If you ground and terminate everything cleanly and properly, there should be ZERO side effects from the nav hack.
Old 08-30-06, 07:43 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
From what I've read, the only reason the nav gets jumpy is because people did not properly perform the hack. If you ground and terminate everything cleanly and properly, there should be ZERO side effects from the nav hack.
Well, the issue is that when you interrupt the signal from the VSS (vehicle speed sensor), the Nav has to reply primarily on the signal from the satellite, which updates only at certain intervals, hence the jumpiness.

OEM systems (at least MOST of them) seem to rely a bunch on inputs from the on-board yaw sensors, steering position sensor, and VSS to display location. Aftermarket systems, however, don't require all this stuff, and the Garmin units I've had (with no VSS, of course) display position smoothly. But I think they smooth it via their software.

When I cut the VSS in my Infiniti and installed a switch so I could program while moving, I experienced some really weird stuff. As an example, I was on an interstate last year on a trip, and switched on the "hack" to program in a destination. The highway curved off to the right after I switched it, and when I switched it back to normal, the Nav showed my vehicle to be about 3 miles to the left of the highway (it didn't register the righthand turn in the road). For 100 miles it showed me zooming along through fields and lakes and mountains, until I stopped for gas and it "caught up with itself".

Another time it just kept repeating "Proceed to the highlighted route" until I couldn't stand it anymore and stopped to let it find itself.

Unless the IS Nav hack is somehow able to bypass the Nav control unit itself and not bypass the DISPLAY , the display will be jumpy.
Old 08-30-06, 07:51 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

What about the "Watching DVDs while the car is in motion" hack? I believe that is a different sensor and will NOT affect the nav in any way, correct?

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Well, the issue is that when you interrupt the signal from the VSS (vehicle speed sensor), the Nav has to reply primarily on the signal from the satellite, which updates only at certain intervals, hence the jumpiness.

OEM systems (at least MOST of them) seem to rely a bunch on inputs from the on-board yaw sensors, steering position sensor, and VSS to display location. Aftermarket systems, however, don't require all this stuff, and the Garmin units I've had (with no VSS, of course) display position smoothly. But I think they smooth it via their software.

When I cut the VSS in my Infiniti and installed a switch so I could program while moving, I experienced some really weird stuff. As an example, I was on an interstate last year on a trip, and switched on the "hack" to program in a destination. The highway curved off to the right after I switched it, and when I switched it back to normal, the Nav showed my vehicle to be about 3 miles to the left of the highway (it didn't register the righthand turn in the road). For 100 miles it showed me zooming along through fields and lakes and mountains, until I stopped for gas and it "caught up with itself".

Another time it just kept repeating "Proceed to the highlighted route" until I couldn't stand it anymore and stopped to let it find itself.

Unless the IS Nav hack is somehow able to bypass the Nav control unit itself and not bypass the DISPLAY , the display will be jumpy.
Old 08-30-06, 07:51 AM
mofogasm
Pole Position

you cut the speed wire and tap it to another wire which makes it so that the nav is not jumpy.
Old 08-30-06, 08:00 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Posts in this thread and others seem to indicate that there is hack for the IS that results in a non-jumpy nav.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=hack

"There's another nav hack for the IS that's better than this one, where the speed sensor and display output circuits are disconnected from the nav unit but then spliced into the display unit's speed input. There is no switch required and it allows smooth map operation simultaneously with no speed lockouts."
Old 08-30-06, 08:21 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Anyone else with an 07 and NAV tried the destination override sequence? I would be surprised if it's "gone" completely... More likely it's simply changed to something else...
Old 08-30-06, 08:49 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Technique
Posts in this thread and others seem to indicate that there is hack for the IS that results in a non-jumpy nav.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=hack

"There's another nav hack for the IS that's better than this one, where the speed sensor and display output circuits are disconnected from the nav unit but then spliced into the display unit's speed input. There is no switch required and it allows smooth map operation simultaneously with no speed lockouts."
But with the cutting of the wires, unless you want jumpy nav or install a switch,you are not going to be able to change your destinations in the '07 models...
Even people who have done the "Nav Hack" have to do the volume menu override in order to input destinations while in motion. The only way to get around that is to completely bypass the speed wire, which is where the jumpy nav comes into play.
Old 08-30-06, 09:37 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Payam
But with the cutting of the wires, unless you want jumpy nav or install a switch,you are not going to be able to change your destinations in the '07 models...
Even people who have done the "Nav Hack" have to do the volume menu override in order to input destinations while in motion. The only way to get around that is to completely bypass the speed wire, which is where the jumpy nav comes into play.
Ah, this makes sense now... Well, hopefully someone will find a bypass sequence in the 07 model. If not, I'll just install a switch. But then again, it seems like the bypass takes maybe 10-15 seconds to perform, and this must be done each time you start the car. If that's the case, I will probably install a switch regardless...

Quick Reply: No Nav destination override on '07 IS