IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone have to replace the windshield on their ISX50 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-06, 06:57 PM
Mski71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have to replace the windshield on their ISX50 yet?

Just got a huge rock chip on my windshield and need to have it replaced. Must I have the dealership replace it or can I just go to a local windshield glass shop to have it done? My deductable on my insurrance is kind of high and wanted to see if it would be cheaper to pay for it myself at a local glass shop. The dealership is asking $950 for just the windshield (not including labor).
Old 08-30-06, 09:03 PM
saske
Rookie

I replaced mine but i had safelite autoglass do it. I have coverage with USAA where I don't pay a deductable for windshield replacement. I wanted the dealership to replace the windshield but they wouldn't take insurance, they wanted payment up front. I was worried about a third party putting in the windshield and getting some wind noise but I haven't had any problems. The moral to the story, no cost out of my pocket and I have a brand new windshield.
Old 08-31-06, 05:40 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

I was really curious about the wind noise issue too, know that the IS has special noise dampining glass.
Old 08-31-06, 05:43 AM
jezza
Driver

The guy I used was recommended by the local dealer (they don't do glass themselves), and the replacement glass is a Lexus part (has Lexus stamped on it just like the original, which is what I would expect).

Make sure you tell whoever does the work whether you have the rain sensing wipers or not. It took him all of 30 minutes.
Old 08-31-06, 06:29 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

i just had a rock chip yesterday myself, they told me it might take a bit to get the glass in since its a new model, so i'm guessing it will be a lexus glass. state farm does it for free, at my house. service!
Old 08-31-06, 10:27 AM
haniiip
Driver School Candidate

the good and the bad:
when i got my is250 last march, i noticed that my rear view mirror vibrates a lot more than all of my former and current vehicles. then last may, the widshield got a nasty rock chip just below the right wiper and after 2 weeks the crack eventually got longer.
long story short - got it replaced by pleasanton lexus (cash up front then reimbursed by aaa minus 50 deductible) and lo and behold --- my rear view mirror doesn't vibrate anymore!
Old 08-31-06, 10:37 AM
CeoStatus0
Pole Position

i pay an extra 5-6 bucks a month on insurance so i can have my any window replaced at no charge from state fram... the insurance people were saying lexus has a patent on new models for about a year.. so no one could make an aftermarket windshield so i would have go through the dealer regardless if i had a cracked window... i should have called other places to see if they had replacement windshileds.. but parts dept. at lexus said no one was making them... of course thats what they would say.

but 5-6 bucks a month to have any of my windows replaced by the dealer with no deductable is reasonable to me
Old 08-31-06, 10:47 AM
ExKoukiS14
Rookie

Lexus glass is WEAK!!!
Driving on Fwy101 to San Fransisco a rock hit my windshield. Within 15 minutes the crack was 10 inches long. Within a week the crack expanded the whole length of the glass.

I say the glass is weak because the actuall "nick/indentation" left by the rock was aprox 2mm in diameter. My other cars have had plenty of rock nicks and none caused my glass to crack.

I was lucky that i has just bought the car. Lexus Service replaced the glass for FREE and signed it off as "Lexus Good Will".
Saved my *** just about $950. Plus I got OEM glass. =)
Old 08-31-06, 11:53 AM
06LexIS
Driver

I replaced my front windshield not even a month after I bought the car in March, a big a*s rock hit it while I was merging onto the 580 by Livermore. Dang, was I pissed, the car had 850 miles.
I called Lexus of Pleasanton and they recommended Hacienda auto glass and body http://www.autobodynews.com/Sections...S%20story.html They do most of the windshield work for the Hendrick dealers in Pleasanton.
I spoke to David Jr, awesome guy and A+ service, I couldn't tell that my windshield was replaced at all. AAA gave me an OEM windshield because at that time there were no aftermarket windshields. Cost was around 1K, I paid 50 bucks for my deduct.
No exterior noises or draft to date.
Old 08-31-06, 06:20 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some suggestions to to consider when getting autoglass replaced: first, the windshield is very important to the structural integrity of the car. If it's not put in properly, the roof structure could collapse in a rollover. Glass handling is very important. If proper technique is not used, oils from hands get on the glass, etc, the adhesive won't adhere properly.

Also, special techniques need to be used in very cold weather, otherwise the adhesive won't cure properly, again weakening the structure, plus it will squeak as the window will flex when you drive. In normal weather, the car should not be moved for a period of several hours to one day, otherwise it will permanently weaken the seal.

Not all glass installers are competent. I know that PPG certifies installers that have special training. I learned the hard way what happens when you have a bad glass install, with a prior car. Fortunately, I found a dealer who was very aware of the safety issues and had a certified PPG installer replace the windshield.

My suggestion would be to ask them to describe their process and if they are certified before I would let them work on my car.