IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

After Market Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 11:50 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you get permanent holes in your trunk, for one...
Old 09-01-06, 05:59 AM
tgara
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cali_Girl
Is drilling not good?
Right, you'll get permanent holes. That means if you ever decide to remove the spoiler, you'll have holes in your trunklid. Plus you have the possibility of water entry into the holes, etc. Not a good approach in my view.

Adding the spoiler with double-sided 3M Molding Tape is quite easy, and will give you the option of removing the spoiler without holes.

BTW, my wife's Crystal White IS250 is just like yours. She doesn't have a spoiler, but is considering one. If I were to add it to her car, I'd use the tape route I described above, and not drill holes.
Old 09-01-06, 07:03 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

I drilled and bolted mine because I will have peace of mind it will stay on. If you have peace of mind with the 3M tape, I say go ahead and tape it. Each person is different. If you decide to changeout the spoiler later, I hear people have a hard time removing the 3M tape. They had to use a screwdriver or something to scrape it off. I wouldn't want to do that to my trunk door. I will never change my spoiler, it's permanent. As for the holes, I used a rust inhibitor. Also, I looked at the inside of the trunk, there's no way water will get in. Not saying 3M tape is not a good route. Everyone just has a different way of thinking.
Old 09-01-06, 08:06 AM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

Interesting!!! Never thought of the possibility of water getting in the holes and resulting in rust. Now that is something I have to consider prior to getting a spoiler. Once installed, I have no intentions of ever removing it. But I have to weight the pro and con here. I really want and like the spoiler. I feel the back is somewhat naked without one. How strong is the double sided tape? Will it withstand weekly washing? Will it last indefinitely....or at least 6 years? As long as it doesn't just fly off on the freeway, perhaps something to consider.

How does Lexus install it? Holes or tape? If they drill, would they put rust inhibitor?
Old 09-01-06, 08:23 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Lexus would drill holes and use the rust inhibitor. I went with the Lexus installation instructions. I used the rust inhibitor around the holes. As you are drilling, very small unpainted parts around the holes will become exposed. You'd want to protect the holes at both sides of the trunk door with rust inhibitor. IMO $188 + self install + aligned perfect = can't beat that.
Old 09-01-06, 08:25 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For water to get into the holes, that must mean the double sided tape isn't that good, right? If you drill the holes and torque down the bolt, it will put more pressure on the tape, creating a tighter seal.

Just using tape will work for this application. The spoiler is very low profile and does not create that much drag. I bolted my spoiler down and have no concern of water leaking into my trunk.
Old 09-01-06, 08:36 AM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

For those who drilled:

You have water leak issues?
Old 09-01-06, 08:43 AM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where i live in the summer when its 117 degrees the 3m heavyduty separated the 3m from the car (different car) i would go with drilling the holes, if your worried about water put a thin bead of silicone on the hole to hopefully fill any tiny areas where water could get in.

would having the dealer install it provide any security warranty wise for those who are worried? it may be worth the cost...... IDK, anyway id like to do a spoiler and i would do the drilling the hole route.
Old 09-01-06, 08:48 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

usually the bolts that hold down the spoiler will get some rust inhibitor + orings goes around it. It will get wedged b/t the trink lid and spoiler and screw head and inside the trunk to seal. Thats how it was when I got the OEM spoiler on my prelude, 6 years no rust
Old 09-01-06, 12:29 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

Got a quote from Longo Lexus. $244 for spoiler + $208 for 2 hour labor = $452. They have to drill and bolt it down.
Old 09-01-06, 12:41 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cali_Girl
Got a quote from Longo Lexus. $244 for spoiler + $208 for 2 hour labor = $452. They have to drill and bolt it down.
Ouch! If you lived in NorCal, I'd help you out. It took me 45 minutes, not 2 hours. It's really simple if you've done it already. The most nerve racking part is the drilling. Maybe a CL member down there can help install it for you.

As for leaks, I've only had mine on for two weeks and it hasn't rained yet (typical CA weather). I've washed it one time, spraying water directly at the spoiler, checked for leaks, nothing.

Last edited by Flipsonic; 09-01-06 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-01-06, 12:51 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ouch $452??? the labor cost just as much as the spoiler itself! i did mine in less than an hour... it's really not that hard. im sure you can do it yourself provided you have a drill.

i'd help you install it but i'd feel horrible if something messed up. if it was my own car the only person i could get mad at is myself for screwing up.
Old 09-01-06, 12:53 PM
flyfl1pguy

Yes $452 is pretty steep. . . .Why don't you look into some body shop and ask . .
Old 09-01-06, 01:49 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that $208 is steep for install, but at least it would be fully warranteed. If you install it yourself, you would void the warranty for rust protection of the trunk lid as well.
Old 09-01-06, 02:14 PM
tgara
Pole Position

Originally Posted by onihc
For water to get into the holes, that must mean the double sided tape isn't that good, right?
You're assuming the double-sided tape acts as a moisture barrier. This is incorrect. Its an adhesion tape, not a moisture barrier. I've used the 3M tape to add fancy rear sill plates to my Lincoln LS, and let me tell you, it sticks really hard. Once the acrylic glue is pressed on and set, the part will not come off without a fight.

Cali, if you're worried about installation, bite the bullet and have the dealer install it. Yes, its expensive, but if something goes wrong, you'll be able to complain and have it fixed under warranty.

Quick Reply: After Market Spoiler