IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ok im pissed off now

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 02:52 PM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Anyway, if you paid 40K without Tax on an IS without any packages(lux/Sport/Nav)... you are in bad shape. There is not much you can really do about it.
+1 man. I emailed 10 dealers and said this is what I want and this is what I want to pay for it. dont bother emailing me back if you cant do it. three emailed back and of the three i got out for $36 after taxes. mass emails to dealers works great when you're buying a car. that way all the dealers can see who's offering what. they come to you and its a no haggle situation
Old 08-31-06, 03:22 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cdiddy
i got the premium package but that was about it. i put 6 thousand down so my balance is 34 grand remaining.
Sorry friend but you gotta be a little more precise.

First it seemed like you had a base model. Then it has premium. Still not sure if it was $40K with or without tax. Not trying to flame you. Just want to make sure we're all on the same page.
Old 08-31-06, 03:29 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Don't feel that bad, mine has Nav and ML but i paid 44K OTD back in December... I looked on Kelly Blue Book today, it's only worth 30 in a trade-in.
Old 08-31-06, 03:49 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the more informed you are about everything the better deal you'll get. some people go in there not knowing a thing about anything and just let the dealer sell em whatever at whatever price.
Old 08-31-06, 03:52 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

I paid 43k OTD last Thanksgiving and now with 12k miles KBB says:

Trade-in:
Excellent- $29,750
Good- $28,075

Private Party:
Excellent- $33,285
Good- $31,505

BTW I have sports package and rear spoiler but no ML. Good thing I'm not planning to let go of this car any time soon.
Old 08-31-06, 05:53 PM
cdiddy
Rookie

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Wait cdiddy, so you paid $40 including taxes... or 40 plus taxes?
40 is with the taxes already
Old 08-31-06, 06:03 PM
WhoDat
Pole Position

Ok, I paid 28, 300 for my SMG 250 Nav (no ML)...traded in my old car for 8 grand after taxes I think it was 32 or 33 grand.
Old 08-31-06, 06:06 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdiddy
i see everyone on here with 40k out the door with Nav+ ML. WTF! i got my ride for 40k w/ nothing on it. i feel like going into Lexus and giving my **** back. im about to call my dealership up to trade or something. would yall do the same?
It's not clear to me how much you paid for your car. Keep the taxes and registration fees separate. Just tell us the MSRP of the car and what the dealer charged you for the car before taxes, tags, etc. Some states have no sales tax so you really need to focus on the MSRP and the amount that it was reduced by. Out the door price can mean different things to different people, so stick with MSRP.

If you didn't get a discount, then it's really your own fault for not being a smart shopper. You need to know as much as the dealer before you go in and what other people are paying for comparably equipped cars. I went to a dealer and they said no discount--I said thank you very much and found this forum and found that people were getting between 2000-3000 off the msrp without too much effort for an IS awd250. So that was my target, and I kept looking until I hit my target of 2500 off msrp. Also, buy through the internet sales manager. You don't have to feel pressured by some sales person, e-mail a bunch of them and as another poster said, let them come to you.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you were an uninformed buyer who did not do much, if any homework--so you got hosed.

As to the new models coming out, it's common knowledge that dealers stop taking orders for the current year model in June-July, and the next model year starts coming out in September-October. Well now you know.

The dealer is not your friend, his goal is to maximize his profit on each car sold. Consider the amount you overpaid on this transaction a tuition payment. Next time, you won't likely make the same mistake.

And calling your dealership to trade-up or something--what do you hope to accomplish? Do you realize that as soon as you drove out of the dealership, your car became a used car, and your dealer likely give you 10-15% less than you paid a few hours ago. Also, as a 2006, it is worth even less now because the 2007's are coming out.

It's a shame that you overpaid, but you were the one signing the check.
Old 08-31-06, 06:07 PM
cdiddy
Rookie

Originally Posted by al503
Sorry friend but you gotta be a little more precise.

First it seemed like you had a base model. Then it has premium. Still not sure if it was $40K with or without tax. Not trying to flame you. Just want to make sure we're all on the same page.
nah i got the premium package. i thought that was base for everyone. guess not. total msrp is $38,234.

i called Lexus today and they told me flat out the prices said on here were full of ****. Unless it was a is250. but yeah im goin in on saturday to talk to them.
Old 08-31-06, 06:35 PM
cdiddy
Rookie

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
It's not clear to me how much you paid for your car. Keep the taxes and registration fees separate. Just tell us the MSRP of the car and what the dealer charged you for the car before taxes, tags, etc. Some states have no sales tax so you really need to focus on the MSRP and the amount that it was reduced by. Out the door price can mean different things to different people, so stick with MSRP.

If you didn't get a discount, then it's really your own fault for not being a smart shopper. You need to know as much as the dealer before you go in and what other people are paying for comparably equipped cars. I went to a dealer and they said no discount--I said thank you very much and found this forum and found that people were getting between 2000-3000 off the msrp without too much effort for an IS awd250. So that was my target, and I kept looking until I hit my target of 2500 off msrp. Also, buy through the internet sales manager. You don't have to feel pressured by some sales person, e-mail a bunch of them and as another poster said, let them come to you.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you were an uninformed buyer who did not do much, if any homework--so you got hosed.

As to the new models coming out, it's common knowledge that dealers stop taking orders for the current year model in June-July, and the next model year starts coming out in September-October. Well now you know.

The dealer is not your friend, his goal is to maximize his profit on each car sold. Consider the amount you overpaid on this transaction a tuition payment. Next time, you won't likely make the same mistake.

And calling your dealership to trade-up or something--what do you hope to accomplish? Do you realize that as soon as you drove out of the dealership, your car became a used car, and your dealer likely give you 10-15% less than you paid a few hours ago. Also, as a 2006, it is worth even less now because the 2007's are coming out.

It's a shame that you overpaid, but you were the one signing the check.
Its all good. Im a first time buyer so i'll learn next time.
Old 08-31-06, 06:42 PM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

One good thing is... you can always make more money. No biggy. As long as you're happy with the car, who cares... if you're not in terrible debt and in good health driving your car, just be happy you even have a chance to own one of the best rides on the road.
Old 08-31-06, 06:42 PM
k_dizzle
Pole Position

yeah this better teach you a lesson!
Old 08-31-06, 06:44 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Dont sweat it ciddy. Everyone has to learn sometime, it was your first time so now you know how not to do it. It was an expensive class in purchasing a car. GOod thing is the investment in this class will help you in future purchases via being a more informed buyer.

Enjoy the ride, thats all that counts now. But do try to talk to them to find out what can be done. I wish you the best.
Old 08-31-06, 06:53 PM
cdiddy
Rookie

Yeah i love the car. The reason i didnt get the Nav was because i didnt think i would need it. But then i discovered this site after the fact and saw everyone else was getting their cars with it for decent prices which is good for them. But yeah other than not having the Navi, everything is good. I love the power and eyes that look at me when i drive lol. Not alot of people can say they have a Lexus. Yeha after talkin to my Mom and friends. I dont think it would be worth it to trade it in anymore. i'll just stick with it. No biggie. Rims and maybe the tanabe exhaust will be my next project. Cheers!
Old 08-31-06, 06:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,389 Posts

I don't even want to tell how bad I was had on my very first new car buy. It was a bad year to be a buy to start with, but they saw me still wet behind the ears, and I got it good. Hasn't happened again.

Quick Reply: Ok im pissed off now