IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ok im pissed off now

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06 | 07:02 PM
FatFu
Driver School Candidate

Next time go to the Consumer Reports web site, pay your $14 and they will tell you every single cost MSRP and the dealers "real" costs, and anything else you can think of. Even cost breakdowns by options. I wouldn't even consider buy a car without that data. Even if the district regional distributor has a hold back, it is listed.

I know exactly to the penny what the dealer made, (way too much). But I loved the look on his face when I told him how much they were making.

However the IS was/is a hot selling model and they won't go for $500 over cost like the BMW dealers will. The IS wasn't exactly piling up on the lots.
Old 08-31-06 | 07:07 PM
cdiddy
Rookie

bwahahaah funnny stuff. i check out the website.
Old 08-31-06 | 07:09 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Well now I don't exactly feel bad for you - your first new car is a Lexus IS350 ?!? (No need to be pissed - you're doing fine) I cut my teeth on a stinkin' Olds Cutlass Supreme (showing my age now). The internet has changed the world as we know it, use it to the best of your ability and you won't be had again. I know I couldn't get such great deals on a new car purchase w/out it . . .
Old 08-31-06 | 07:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Click here if you don't mind paying a little more for a complete step by step approach to getting a great car deal.
Old 08-31-06 | 07:40 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

A good thing to do is go to cars direct. Type in the car you want and see what their target price is for your area. That will be approximately the average sale price in your area. Then work down from there.

Or do the mass mailings and online quotes. I am surprised that you didnt at least get 1K off though.... did you even ask?
Old 08-31-06 | 07:46 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

you have to look at the car buying experience over your entire lifetime (starting with this one). you win some, you lose some. i took a bath on at least 2 cars and I've paid msrp on 2 others. but here i am. and i think i'm doing pretty good and hope to have a couple 3 or 4 more good wins before i'm gone...
Old 08-31-06 | 08:14 PM
dclive
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cdiddy
nah i got the premium package. i thought that was base for everyone. guess not. total msrp is $38,234.

i called Lexus today and they told me flat out the prices said on here were full of ****. Unless it was a is250. but yeah im goin in on saturday to talk to them.
So you got the car for $40k OTD, even, and if we assume your state tax is 6.25%, that's $40623 ($38234*1.0625), so let's assume you paid about $650 less than MSRP, and let's assume there were $200 in legally permitted "fees" (title and license and additional dealer markup to handle standing in line in the DMV for you), so that's roughly $850 you got "off" of an 06. (38234-850=37384 "sales price" * 1.0625 tax = 39720.50 price with tax, plus $200 in those legally permitted fees, so that's 39920.50 total, or pretty close to $40k OTD.

It would be helpful if you'd stated what you paid, without any tax, fees, etc. (It's late; perhaps you did and I just missed it.)

Yeah, you got screwed (I got $4400 off an 06, give or take, with $180 in title/license/registration/dealer profit <yep, they make profit on all of those>), but if you're happy with it, more power to you. All you ought to do now is enjoy it.

I don't understand what returning the car would accomplish.
Old 08-31-06 | 08:19 PM
cdiddy
Rookie

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
A good thing to do is go to cars direct. Type in the car you want and see what their target price is for your area. That will be approximately the average sale price in your area. Then work down from there.

Or do the mass mailings and online quotes. I am surprised that you didnt at least get 1K off though.... did you even ask?
i remember the dealer saying i got $1500 off. I added the Ibex and Lojacks then after though..
Old 08-31-06 | 08:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

My deal got the TT&L dead on the money. I saw the DMV fees paid, it matched what I paid exactly. I've also received refunds from car deals where the TT&L paid was more than what DMV charged.

I believe this guy is in CA. Sales tax is likely 7.75% or more here, even though the base rate isn't nearly that high, most counties have additional tax. San Francisco is ridiculously high. I would never want to buy a car with a San Francisco address.
Old 08-31-06 | 08:28 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Learn your lesson and do your research next time.

You wouldn't drop your hard earned cash for anything just because it looked nice. You have to make sure you're getting a good value.

You got a good car, and although you did not get the best deal, you got a car with good value.

Since you bought it, you might as well enjoy it. Enjoy the car because you can't do anything about the price now...
Old 08-31-06 | 08:29 PM
cdiddy
Rookie

Originally Posted by dclive
So you got the car for $40k OTD, even, and if we assume your state tax is 6.25%, that's $40623 ($38234*1.0625), so let's assume you paid about $650 less than MSRP, and let's assume there were $200 in legally permitted "fees" (title and license and additional dealer markup to handle standing in line in the DMV for you), so that's roughly $850 you got "off" of an 06. (38234-850=37384 "sales price" * 1.0625 tax = 39720.50 price with tax, plus $200 in those legally permitted fees, so that's 39920.50 total, or pretty close to $40k OTD.

It would be helpful if you'd stated what you paid, without any tax, fees, etc. (It's late; perhaps you did and I just missed it.)

Yeah, you got screwed (I got $4400 off an 06, give or take, with $180 in title/license/registration/dealer profit <yep, they make profit on all of those>), but if you're happy with it, more power to you. All you ought to do now is enjoy it.

I don't understand what returning the car would accomplish.
well to basically have an 07 with nav. im curious to see what lexus will say. i think another guy in this forum traded his 06 for an 07. imma go try and find that thread. i seriously dont think i'll go through with it since there isnt much difference between the 06 and 07.
Old 08-31-06 | 08:30 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

i remember the dealer saying i got $1500 off. I added the Ibex and Lojacks then after though..
It sounds like you didnt get a terrible deal. You might have been able to knock off 1-2K more. But its too late now, dont lose any sleep over it
Old 08-31-06 | 08:31 PM
dclive
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
My deal got the TT&L dead on the money. I saw the DMV fees paid, it matched what I paid exactly. I've also received refunds from car deals where the TT&L paid was more than what DMV charged.

I believe this guy is in CA. Sales tax is likely 7.75% or more here, even though the base rate isn't nearly that high, most counties have additional tax. San Francisco is ridiculously high. I would never want to buy a car with a San Francisco address.

Here in Texas there's a Vehicle Inventory Tax (usually around $100-$200, per the car's value), which legally the dealer has no right to put on the sales invoice, but most people pay it anyway when they see it, thinking it's a fair (heh!) fee.

There's also the DMV Registration, which the dealer can charge up to $50. Of course, they all charge $50 for what they pay a clerk about $5 to do. (Bear in mind said clerk probably registers 300 cars at once.)

Car dealership owners live in nice houses for a reason.
Old 08-31-06 | 08:33 PM
dclive
Driver School Candidate

well to basically have an 07 with nav. im curious to see what lexus will say. i think another guy in this forum traded his 06 for an 07. imma go try and find that thread. i seriously dont think i'll go through with it since there isnt much difference between the 06 and 07.
Lexus dealers will be *happy* to accommodate you!

So for $8,000 or so (that's about what you'll lose, money-wise) you'll get "2007" in your manuals (vs. "2006" printed in them), and you'll get navigation.

That's very expensive for a navi system. Ever thought of a Garmin or similar map system for $500? It's not as nice as the Lexus system, but it's a lot less than $8,000, too.
Old 08-31-06 | 08:37 PM
cdiddy
Rookie

Originally Posted by dclive
Lexus dealers will be *happy* to accommodate you!

So for $8,000 or so (that's about what you'll lose, money-wise) you'll get "2007" in your manuals (vs. "2006" printed in them), and you'll get navigation.

That's very expensive for a navi system. Ever thought of a Garmin or similar map system for $500? It's not as nice as the Lexus system, but it's a lot less than $8,000, too.
Yeha screw that. Could i just buy the Lexus Navi system and have it changed out?

Quick Reply: Ok im pissed off now