IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Park Assist in Nav/ML package?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 04:53 PM
mkaresh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park Assist in Nav/ML package?

I saw that someone else had posted this question, but didn't get a valid response. So I'll give it another shot.

If you order ML and Nav separately, the cost is $500 less than that of the Nav/ML package. $500 is also the cost of Park Assist. Is it part of this package?

Another way to ask this question: do people with Nav/ML have Park Assist without it costing an extra $500 on the sticker?

Thanks.
Old 08-31-06, 05:03 PM
LaRock
Rookie

I have NAV/ML and no PA. I assumed PA came with NAV/ML, but this is an incorrect assumption.
Old 08-31-06, 05:11 PM
mkaresh
Rookie

Thanks.

I assume you got them in the $3,990 package and not as separate options. Any idea what the extra $500 cost of the package got you compared to ordering the options separately?

In another thread someone called Lexus about this, and was told that only with the package could you watch DVDs in the car. Sounds like BS to me, but maybe this is true?
Old 08-31-06, 06:18 PM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

mkaresh, I would say it's true. I've heard the same thing.

You can only watch DVDs with the VN package. Buying the Navigation NV and adding ML, you get the audio system, not DVD functionality. I would assume the reason why is because you can buy an IS without Nav and still buy ML.
Old 08-31-06, 07:48 PM
mkaresh
Rookie

Thanks. Doesn't seem right, but then Toyota/Lexus' pricing is often illogical in ways no other automaker's is these days.
Old 08-31-06, 07:57 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

mkaresh, the VN package (Nav+ML) has a DVD player.

Check out how to do the Nav hack to allow the DVD player while you are in Drive. The DVD player only works in Park with the parking brake applied, but it can be undone.

As for the Park Assist feature, that is an independent option, just like headlight washers and Adaptive Cruise Control. It's just a coincidence that it is priced the same as the difference between the VN package and NV+ML combo.
Old 08-31-06, 08:00 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The $940 Mark Levinson package is a 6 disc CD Changer... no DVD-A, no DTS.... NO DVD.

I have heard of someone who bought the seperate Navigation and Mark Levinson and it still played DVDs. But I have only heard of one person doing this, and I didnt want to gamble, so i paid the extra $500
Old 08-31-06, 09:15 PM
mkaresh
Rookie

Thanks, I'm now thoroughly convinced.

Looking at the Lexus site again, I guess this should have been clear:

Package:
Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Premium Audio System Package - $3,990
- Lexus voice-activated DVD Navigation System [4] with backup camera [5] and Bluetooth® technology [6]
- Mark Levinson 14-speaker, 300-watt @ 0.1% THD [7] Premium Surround Sound Audio System [8] with 7.1 architecture and in-dash, single feed, six-disc DVD/CD auto-changer featuring DVD-audio and DVD-video playback

ML alone:
Mark Levinson 14-speaker, 300-watt @ 0.1% THD [7] Premium Surround Sound Audio System [8] with 7.1 architecture and in-dash, single-feed, six-disc CD auto-changer - $940

I didn't realize so many people would pay $500 for a front seat DVD player that only works with the parking brake set (unless you mod it as mentioned above).
Old 08-31-06, 10:27 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mkaresh
I didn't realize so many people would pay $500 for a front seat DVD player that only works with the parking brake set (unless you mod it as mentioned above).
it's not just for DVD videos. you can play DVD audios which apparently sound amazing. you can also load up a lot more mp3's on a DVD than you can on a CD, so there are benefits in that $500 addition strictly related to music.
Old 11-02-06, 05:34 AM
go blue 99
Rookie

Will Lexus allow you to order a car with NV and ML seperately? I don't care about the dvd player that comes with VN for the extra $500.
Old 11-02-06, 06:31 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexuslover
you can also load up a lot more mp3's on a DVD than you can on a CD, so there are benefits in that $500 addition strictly related to music.
The DVD changer will play MP3's loaded on a DVD? Anyone can verify this?
Old 11-02-06, 07:10 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The ML head unit is different in the nav/ML (NV option). Not only does it play DVDs but its controls (including voice commands for the ML audio) are integrated into the nav display (touch screen). I don't think you can get them as separate options.

Koz
Old 11-02-06, 07:50 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
The DVD changer will play MP3's loaded on a DVD? Anyone can verify this?
It wont. It only plays mp3's from a CD. I do however like that you can browse the floders AND files seperately. It also has pretty detailed file information.
Old 11-02-06, 07:53 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

does anyone here have parking assist? can you tell us if the mirrors lower and stuff automatically in reverse?
Old 11-02-06, 07:57 AM
SilverLexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dfw350
does anyone here have parking assist? can you tell us if the mirrors lower and stuff automatically in reverse?
I dont have PA, but I kind of wish I did. My mirrors drop and rear camera turns on automatically with ML/NAV. I dont see why this would not happen if you had PA.

Does anyone know if you can add PA to your car if it doesnt already have it?

Quick Reply: Park Assist in Nav/ML package?