IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

About to order an '07 IS250, have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-06, 11:14 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

here's some reading on hid: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlight#HID_technology

the main advantage of hid lights is the greater light output over halogen bulbs. no matter what type of colored halogen bulb you get... it will never reach the light output of real hid bulbs. and factory hid does not include halos... unless you're buying a bimmer.
Old 09-02-06, 12:22 PM
The Chad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, if you purchase a "blue bulb" that has the same draw on the electrical system of a white halogen, they won't be as bright, so you will have to use a brighter bulb which will cause an increased draw on the system and can shorten life.

I've used them on a previous car, and have real HIDs on my current ride (S2000) and I can tell you there is a major difference. The light output on the HIDs are intense, piercing through the night and through poor visibilty conditions, allowing me to see reflective signs, law enforcement, and deer much further up and farther off of the road than I ever could with normal halogen bulbs, even with the high beams on.

To me, you cannot achieve that effect with anything other than HID. Now if I were buying a Toyota Yaris, and HIDs were an 800 dollar option I'd consider not getting it, because that's a huge percentage of the car's purchase price, but 800 on a 30k car is much less. No offense, but if you can't afford that option, maybe you shouldn't look at a Lexus.

That may not be your case, though. You just want to justify the cost if you really need it. I would say yes, get the HID option because of the safety issue. I believe that this lighting should be on all cars. You can not achieve this without buying a true HID kit with ballasts.

I would skip over the factory nav if you're trying to save some coin, and get a portable unit, or for 10/month through Verizon Wireless, use their VZ Navigator which works quite well and is even cheaper yet. Use the money you save from that to buy the HID option, as you'll get more use out of them than the nav, is most cases.
Old 09-02-06, 12:30 PM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The Chad
Also, if you purchase a "blue bulb" that has the same draw on the electrical system of a white halogen, they won't be as bright, so you will have to use a brighter bulb which will cause an increased draw on the system and can shorten life.

I've used them on a previous car, and have real HIDs on my current ride (S2000) and I can tell you there is a major difference. The light output on the HIDs are intense, piercing through the night and through poor visibilty conditions, allowing me to see reflective signs, law enforcement, and deer much further up and farther off of the road than I ever could with normal halogen bulbs, even with the high beams on.

To me, you cannot achieve that effect with anything other than HID. Now if I were buying a Toyota Yaris, and HIDs were an 800 dollar option I'd consider not getting it, because that's a huge percentage of the car's purchase price, but 800 on a 30k car is much less. No offense, but if you can't afford that option, maybe you shouldn't look at a Lexus.

That may not be your case, though. You just want to justify the cost if you really need it. I would say yes, get the HID option because of the safety issue. I believe that this lighting should be on all cars. You can not achieve this without buying a true HID kit with ballasts.

I would skip over the factory nav if you're trying to save some coin, and get a portable unit, or for 10/month through Verizon Wireless, use their VZ Navigator which works quite well and is even cheaper yet. Use the money you save from that to buy the HID option, as you'll get more use out of them than the nav, is most cases.

I'm getting at the minimum Premium package with Nav. I want HIDs and must have them... but as you said, I was just trying to justify the cost of an $800 factory option to $30 bulbs.

The IS just doesn't look right without the Nav option. To me, in my opinion, there's no reason to buy a luxury car like this and not get nav. It just looks cheap.
Old 09-02-06, 03:39 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Just get the HID option and be done with it. You will reget it if you don't. The aftermarket way, if done right, will still cost you $400 or so and you won't have the AFS and leveling feature plus no warranty. Going with the cheap $40 bulb option is pretty half assed. Your buying a lexus, do it the right way!!
Old 09-02-06, 03:49 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by golfproatl
Just get the HID option and be done with it. You will reget it if you don't. The aftermarket way, if done right, will still cost you $400 or so and you won't have the AFS and leveling feature plus no warranty. Going with the cheap $40 bulb option is pretty half assed. Your buying a lexus, do it the right way!!
You hit it right on! The HID's really worth the money, especially with the AFS and leveling feature which you only get if ordering HID's as a factory option. And its a Lexus not a Toyota, nothing wrong with a Toyota but you know what I mean...
Old 09-02-06, 07:17 PM
jzalkin
Rookie

The worth depends on where you live. I am in South Florida and every road has lights. In my location, the lights have no value. I can't remember the last time I even used the brights. I use the Nav all the time though.
Old 09-30-06, 08:43 AM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just uze the xenons on my car because they distinguish the car from others on the road since most have ugly halogens. Only more expensive cars have them (and cheap hondas with those $40 bulbs) and they look a lot better. I usually try not to play the brand card, but if you spent over $30k on your car, you'd you want the world to know it?
Old 09-30-06, 07:22 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by IRCRomeo
I'm getting at the minimum Premium package with Nav. I want HIDs and must have them... but as you said, I was just trying to justify the cost of an $800 factory option to $30 bulbs.

The IS just doesn't look right without the Nav option. To me, in my opinion, there's no reason to buy a luxury car like this and not get nav. It just looks cheap.
IRCromeo, there is nothing that need to be justified.

REAL HIDs consist of 2 systems:
A. the headlight housing (projector type lens + adaptive AFS capability) and
B. the bulb system (ballast+ignitor+D2S bulb).

Those $30 bulbs you mentioned have blue tint on them which reduce the amount of light they put in front of your car, it is even less bright than the regular halogen. They may look blue (which is cool) but non functional. Also, those $30 bulbs mostly draws more current than stock headlight wiring (more than 50Watt), which may burn factory wiring because they are not designed to handle that much of a current draw...happened on my previous cars before..Big bucks to replace wirings, relays, switches.

HID kit, e.g from XenonDepot's or XenonKing's uses system B of the two of the REAL HID (see above).

The choice is up to you.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by SugarRush; 09-30-06 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-30-06, 07:24 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

"HID-look" wont have anywhere near the amount of light real HID has, it will be obvious you dont have HID. Real HID isnt just a bulb