IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need Parking Hint for front Low End

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-06, 09:42 AM
leadfoot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Parking Hint for front Low End

Happy Labor Day Weekend! So, we all know the 250 and 350 have real low front ends. Parallel parking is pretty tough, but doable if you have your mirrors set right. Here's my thing. I park in a carport that has a long cement slab across the front (for low storage, I guess) that is about the same height as those stupid cement stops in parking lots. I have to pull all the way up, within 1-2 inches of the thing, due to the parking configuration to allow my "neighbors" (other cars) to have room to park and manuever ( its an L shaped garage, who's the genius who came up with that one?!?!?!?). Has anyone come up with a clever way to guide them, to prevent from scraping the front end? The driveway is very long, narrow, and "one way" so turning around to back it in is not an option .
Any and all suggestions welcome. I have not been pulling all the way (the easiest, but most incendiary method to my neighbors!!) for now for fear of scratching my baby. This method is really wearing thin on the nerves of others.

Last edited by leadfoot; 09-03-06 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-03-06, 09:52 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are all kinds of parking aids on the market. before i had my 2is, i had a sensor that i could mount on the wall ahead and it would flash yellow then red when i needed to stop; you could calibrate it.

now the 2is has parking assist and sensor that i now use and it works great (i don't suppose you have that option). you may want to go with something as simple as marking the pavement outside your drivers window and just opening the door and looking down until you line up.
Old 09-03-06, 09:55 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a tough one. Maybe something like this: http://www.brandsonsale.com/parking-stop-mat.html Maybe you can nail one into the ground?
Old 09-03-06, 10:10 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

You could always hang a tennis ball on a string from the ceiling above where your car parks. As soon as your windshield hits the tennis ball, you know to stop.
Old 09-03-06, 11:09 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Payam
You could always hang a tennis ball on a string from the ceiling above where your car parks. As soon as your windshield hits the tennis ball, you know to stop.
thats what i do... except it's not a tennis ball.
Old 09-03-06, 12:28 PM
leadfoot
Driver School Candidate

Default Update :)

Has anyone ever tried these? Now that I know what to look for, I am having much better luck! Or do you know of a better one?
http://www.ipiproducts.com/parkingtarget/
"Same Place" Garage Parking Every Time!
"Roll Up To And Over"
The Sure and Easy Way to Park
Only ONE Needed per Vehicle Peel-&-Stick, Easy to Install--- Never Miss Your Oil Leak Mat---- No Assembly Required-- Allows For Maximum Storage Area Great Gift Idea ---MADE IN USA
Old 09-03-06, 03:41 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by leadfoot
Has anyone ever tried these? Now that I know what to look for, I am having much better luck! Or do you know of a better one?
http://www.ipiproducts.com/parkingtarget/
"Same Place" Garage Parking Every Time!
"Roll Up To And Over"
The Sure and Easy Way to Park
Only ONE Needed per Vehicle Peel-&-Stick, Easy to Install--- Never Miss Your Oil Leak Mat---- No Assembly Required-- Allows For Maximum Storage Area Great Gift Idea ---MADE IN USA
wow, that looks pretty cool! wonder if someone will steal it tho.
Old 09-03-06, 04:35 PM
BN06
Rookie

Default This may seem rather obvious . . .

( I know you threw in the disclaimer about the long driveway but our car(s) are not very long. If you have room to pull in head first and back out than you have enough room to three point or otherwise. If you have the NAV option it is almost too easy.)

but something we teach our drivers from day one is to:

"back first"

In other words, never pull head first into a parking space. Always back into a parking space. In our case it is for expedited egress. In your case it is to protect the lower front fascia. Either way, it is a win-win. It will become habit after about three weeks so try it, you may find it is a simple solution with some collateral benefits.

B

Last edited by BN06; 09-03-06 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-03-06, 05:16 PM
DanIS350
Rookie

I agree with the tennis ball method - it is the most precise (although in a carport it might be swayed by the wind, so be careful).

In addition, though, I would go to Lowe's or Home Depot and find some styrofoam tubes (even pool noodles might work). Split the tube open with a utility knife and affix it to the cement edge. That way, if you do eventually hit the slab, you might do less damage.
Old 09-03-06, 06:58 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

http://www.brookstone.com/store/prod...ry&prodtemp=t2

got me one a them, works great, never moves and near impossible to drive over, and not too tall for my non lowered IS350...
Old 09-04-06, 09:35 PM
PMok
Lead Lap

here is what i do when I park, not just at home but also in any parking lot where I have to be careful about hitting something up front like a low curb or cement block. In most cases you are parking next to another car... use it as a reference point.

As you pull in, make a note of how far in the car is parked, and whether its front end is in a spot where you want your front end to be. Sometimes it's too far in, over the cement block, or sometimes its too far out, take that into account and then use their side mirror as a reference point. I find that most cars have about the same distance from side mirror to the front end, obviously some cars have longer hoods and such but this usually works for me, I will pull in even with the other car's side mirror or stop short by a few inches to be safe.

Another trick is to use the other car as a mirror of sorts, hopefully it is clean enough that you can see the reflection of your car in the other car. Yeah these are not as cool as having special gadgets to help you park, but they are free and you can use them everywhere not just in your carport.
Old 09-08-06, 10:28 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

I have an easy one for you all...

One you get your car parked exactly where you want it, simply make a box around you drivers side rear tire with strong Blue painters tape or even a colored permanent marker
Obviously the tape would only work if your floor / cement is clean & smooth when you put it down.

When you pull it in all you have to do is open your door and look back at your drivers side tires and stop when its in the box or use your drivers side mirror.

Works for me every time!!

Joe Z
Old 09-08-06, 10:34 AM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

try this...it also sticks to the ground...

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/inde...id=3518&cid=19
Old 09-08-06, 12:00 PM
Heltah
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My ford truck has a total of 4" clearance front and back in my garage
I got tired of the tennis ball and got the aluminum parking mat from
summit It looks sweet on the epoxy coated garage.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...05&D=%2D172705
ultrasonic lights
adhesive parking mat -
adhesive parking mat - aluminum (diamond plate)
flexible pole - not recommended lol

Last edited by Heltah; 09-08-06 at 12:09 PM.