22.73%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2nd Gen. IS350 w/ 6 speed trans.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06, 04:39 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Lexus has already played this game with the 1st generation IS. Quoted from Edmunds.com:
When the IS debuted, buyers could have any transmission they wanted as long as it was the five-speed automatic. Much of the motoring press complained, so Lexus began offering a five-speed-manual sedan in 2002. Subsequent consumer interest in the five-speed has been minimal, however, and you might have a hard time finding them on dealer lots.
As has already been mentioned, the IS in its current form is blowing away sales figures. Keep in mind too that probably 90% of the people that own this vehicle are not car-nuts like us. And as of my writing this post, half of the "car-nuts" who voted in this thread are NOT interested in a 6-sp. Don't get me wrong, I would be "one of those people" willing to pay MORE for a manual, but it's not gonna happen.

Javier
Old 09-07-06, 05:22 PM
jet119
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Lexus has already played this game with the 1st generation IS. Quoted from Edmunds.com:

As has already been mentioned, the IS in its current form is blowing away sales figures. Keep in mind too that probably 90% of the people that own this vehicle are not car-nuts like us. And as of my writing this post, half of the "car-nuts" who voted in this thread are NOT interested in a 6-sp. Don't get me wrong, I would be "one of those people" willing to pay MORE for a manual, but it's not gonna happen.

Javier
the 1st gen IS did not offer 306 horse power....like the 2nd gen. for that reason alone it had to turned away alot of car nuts (like us) and potential IS buyers.

Originally Posted by daveortega
That's shortsighted: this segment sells a greater amount of cars with manual transmissions than just about any other segment.

And, I'd agree, it would not be a problem if the competitive landscape were going to remain the same for the next 4 years. However, it's actually changing dramatically this fall.

The 2007 G35 and 335i hit the scene, and in my opinion, raise the bar. The G35 will likely be thousands cheaper and offer IS350 performance. The 335i will likely steal the IS350's crown as the fastest sedan in the segment and match it with best-in-class dynamics. Both will offer buyers the choice of a manual. Even on the low end, the 328i improves its performance lead over the IS250.

As a buyer in the segment (and IS350 owner), all I can say is that if the competition had this advantage when I was shopping, I would be a Bimmer owner.
I agree. to be competitive in the market where buyers are so educated now, Lexus needs to offer something on that same level or better. no matter what type of market it is, to loose on the market because others are offering something that Lexus doesn't just seems very "Not Lexus Like".
Old 09-20-06, 07:36 PM
genyosai
Driver

Originally Posted by jet119
I think that is the best way to do it, but its still got plenty things thats involved.
Definitely easier than swapping the 6-speed tranny into the 350! I've poured over so much data in reference to this (i want the 6-speed in my 350 so baddly). I swapped out the auto for v160 in my Supra which was a lot of work (for one person). What I've learned so far about swapping the 250 6-speed into the 350 is worse.

Once again, I want iit so baddly that I've considered having it done by AAP in Atlanta. the only thing stopping me right now is the rumored IS500. If there's the chance of that project coming to fruition, I don't care to spend time and money into the tranny swap
Old 09-21-06, 02:56 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

i m trading my car in when they offer manual tranny. I am so sick of the computer doing the shifing for me.
Old 09-22-06, 10:43 AM
iatacs19
Rookie

I think something along the lines of DSG would be the best compromise for luxury and sport. Personally, I would love a 6-speed manual, heck I'll take a 5-speed manual over auto. I think IF the IS350 can have some kid of manual or DSG then nothing can touch it at its current price/performance/luxury segment.
Old 10-07-06, 03:30 PM
jet119
Rookie

I agree, the current IS paddle shift system just seems alittle too laggy to me and it doesnt respond that well. if you are downshifting at a higher speed... it always seems it likes to wait until the engine reaches a specific rpm point before it lets the trans. downshift, event when your are hard on the brakes. straight line acceleration, the system shift once its in/close to redline which is fine i guess but one thing i dont like is, it doesn't allow you to have a early upshift when your foot is flat on the gas. to me this will cause abrupt weight transfer during a corner if your entry is high on the rpm range but before redline lets say in 3rd gear and you dont want to be bouncing off the limiter at exit or mid corner you would like to have a early upshift before entry so you can carry more speed at exit, it will not upshift if you are on the gas it stays until it reaches the pre-determined shift point. which is redline. all in all, it just seems to me that i am not in total control of the car. Versus a manual, i select the gear i want to be in and i can stay in that gear, upshift or downshift without delay unless i want it to. its all driver preference in the end.
Old 10-07-06, 04:25 PM
penger
Driver School Candidate

Well I would assume the 328i has a performance lead over the IS250 because it actually has a 3.0 liter engine in it, if i'm not mistaken. Just a thought =P
Old 10-07-06, 04:41 PM
jet119
Rookie

it has the IS by HP and torque rating. the 335i is a different beast all together. turbo charged and manual transmission as an option. the IS350 is definally going to have tough competitor in the segment.