22.73%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

2nd Gen. IS350 w/ 6 speed trans.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 11:57 AM
jet119
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gen. IS350 w/ 6 speed trans.

Hello everyone, this is my first post but i've been reading and following this forum for awhile now and i was woundering just how many of you would like to see an IS350 in manual 6 speed? any thoughts?

Last edited by jet119; 09-06-06 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-05-06, 12:04 PM
menech
Lead Lap

sign me up!
Old 09-05-06, 12:30 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wounder can you drop the motor from a 350 Automatic into a 250 6spd.

Just swap the motor..... ecm...
Old 09-05-06, 01:04 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be nice for competitive comparisons, but I don't think Lexus will do it.

The IS350 is selling beyond expectations. I can understand if it was not selling well because of a lack of a manual tranny, but Lexus is going to stand by their creed: automatic trannies are easier and more lux than manual trannies. Since they are selling well, they don't need to provide a manual.

I think if Lexus needs a competitive edge for the IS when compared to the 3-Series, G35, or A4, it would be with their pricing and amenities, not their transmission choices.

Or how about this for discussion:

Are you willing to pay MORE for the manual transmission than the automatic if Lexus decides to develop one in the future? R&D for a good manual tranny is going to cost, so would you eat the extra costs for a manual?
Old 09-05-06, 02:38 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If my memory serves me right, (and that's up for debate sometimes) I paid over $800.00 for the six speed stick in my C5 Corvette. 'Course I just couldn't imagine an automatic in a Corvette. The auto was standard equipment and the "stick" was extra. I hated it but I paid it.

I would have paid extra for a manual (stick) in my 350 if it had been offered. But that's just me. I did buy it anyway and "Yup, still love it even with an automatic".
Old 09-05-06, 06:32 PM
jet119
Rookie

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
It would be nice for competitive comparisons, but I don't think Lexus will do it.
i think you are right, from a manufacturing POV they dont have to if the car is selling well, but IMHO they should give potential buyers the OPTION, other competitive brands like nissan 350z,G35 and Audi etc. all have it, and i have to say i am biased towards a manual transmission in modern day sport sedan, I just would prefer to have both a great looking car and a fun car to drive around in.

Originally Posted by Lexustom
If my memory serves me right, (and that's up for debate sometimes) I paid over $800.00 for the six speed stick in my C5 Corvette. 'Course I just couldn't imagine an automatic in a Corvette. The auto was standard equipment and the "stick" was extra. I hated it but I paid it.
Still got the C5? i am in the middle of a C5 to C5R project, i'll see if i can take some pics and post it. we are in the middle of installing a C5R body kit. just got it fitted last weekend, just have to remove, paint and resecure....when we have more time rims should be here this week. they are awesome cars out of the box
Old 09-05-06, 09:30 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

In my opinion, Lexus should make the 6spd manual available both in the IS250 coupe and the IS 350 coupe, if there are any, in the future.
Old 09-06-06, 12:40 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Forget manual -- semi automatic!
Didn't the MR2 have a manumatic?
Old 09-06-06, 04:36 PM
jet119
Rookie

Originally Posted by istundra
I wounder can you drop the motor from a 350 Automatic into a 250 6spd.

Just swap the motor..... ecm...
I think that is the best way to do it, but its still got plenty things thats involved.
Old 09-06-06, 05:25 PM
bartkat
Driver School Candidate

I think the poll should have a third option, such as "don't care" or "doesn't matter".
Old 09-06-06, 05:36 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

The majority of Corvettes (C5, C6) on the road are automatics. *chuckle* My old man had a C5 Auto, then got a Z06 after I kept teasing him about it...now he sold it to get a C6 with an Auto (!) he of course has a bum knee.

The majority of cars sold are autos. I would love to have a 6sp IS350 Coupe...but I'm afraid manual gearboxes are going to be a thing of the past. Autos can technically shift faster, flawlessly, and with unequalled consistency if put side by side to a human operator using a manual.
Old 09-06-06, 06:12 PM
jet119
Rookie

i recently had an opportunity to drive an E46 m3 with the SMG shift system, the system works awesome,no clutch yet it will shift like a manual, it even rav matches the gears, maybe lexus can come up with something like that in the future...
I am definally looking for input like this, its definally going to help me decide on my IS project.
Old 09-07-06, 05:54 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Default Automanumanic

From what I have read from reviews the SMG in the E46 M3 is more abrupt than an actual manual when slowing down. I believe the best of both worlds belongs to Audi so far with their DSG transmission. I agree with MikeFD3S, manuals will be a thing of the past. A good story to tell the grand kids.
Old 09-07-06, 06:00 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't get one in stick even if they made it so it doesn't matter to me either way. If I can have the same gear ratio's with an auto, that's where my money is going. I just wish the manual mode worked more like a manual than an auto.
Old 09-07-06, 03:47 PM
daveortega
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The IS350 is selling beyond expectations. I can understand if it was not selling well because of a lack of a manual tranny, but Lexus is going to stand by their creed: automatic trannies are easier and more lux than manual trannies. Since they are selling well, they don't need to provide a manual.
That's shortsighted: this segment sells a greater amount of cars with manual transmissions than just about any other segment.

And, I'd agree, it would not be a problem if the competitive landscape were going to remain the same for the next 4 years. However, it's actually changing dramatically this fall.

The 2007 G35 and 335i hit the scene, and in my opinion, raise the bar. The G35 will likely be thousands cheaper and offer IS350 performance. The 335i will likely steal the IS350's crown as the fastest sedan in the segment and match it with best-in-class dynamics. Both will offer buyers the choice of a manual. Even on the low end, the 328i improves its performance lead over the IS250.

As a buyer in the segment (and IS350 owner), all I can say is that if the competition had this advantage when I was shopping, I would be a Bimmer owner.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen. IS350 w/ 6 speed trans.