IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

'07 G35 6MT v 07 IS350

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06, 12:56 AM
cdiddy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll wait for the g35 coupe comes out. maybe i'll trade in my is350 for that if it impresses me.
Old 09-07-06, 07:30 AM
admiralT20
Driver School Candidate

I am sure the 2007 G35 is a great car, and will bring another dimension to the segment, however I do not think it is a direct one-to-one comparison with the IS350. They both have their strong points and weakness and in a way are complimentary
I will enjoy IS for another 2 years before thinking of switching when I need a Sedan.
Old 09-07-06, 07:35 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by admiralT20
I am sure the 2007 G35 is a great car, and will bring another dimension to the segment, however I do not think it is a direct one-to-one comparison with the IS350. They both have their strong points and weakness and in a way are complimentary
I will enjoy IS for another 2 years before thinking of switching when I need a Sedan.
What do you mean by a "sedan"? I usually think of a sedan as a 4-door and a coupe as a 2-door...
Old 09-07-06, 12:48 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
What do you mean by a "sedan"? I usually think of a sedan as a 4-door and a coupe as a 2-door...
Old 09-07-06, 02:09 PM
admiralT20
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Technique
Well, to be honest with you, I can't use it to sit 4 people. I am almost 5 ' 11" and my wife is 5' 9" and honestly we just can't fit anyone in the back seat. My in-laws were around two weeks ago, and it was so annoying because I wanted to take them around in the car but there isn't practical space to accomodate 2 adults in the back.
So I am using it as a Coupe'. In about 2 years when the kids come, I may have to get something with more leg room at the back.
Old 09-07-06, 02:24 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by admiralT20
Well, to be honest with you, I can't use it to sit 4 people. I am almost 5 ' 11" and my wife is 5' 9" and honestly we just can't fit anyone in the back seat. My in-laws were around two weeks ago, and it was so annoying because I wanted to take them around in the car but there isn't practical space to accomodate 2 adults in the back.
So I am using it as a Coupe'. In about 2 years when the kids come, I may have to get something with more leg room at the back.
Ah, makes sense... Sport sedans (e.g. - The Lexus IS) are sometimes not practical for 4 adults... In fact, I remember certain cars with small back seats used to be called 2+2's, but the rear seats were really just a joke, not even kids could fit in the back
Old 09-07-06, 03:02 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Man there is no comparision! Infiniti is a Lexus "wanna-be"....
Old 09-07-06, 03:34 PM
daveortega
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I think Infiniti will do well with the new G35, just as how they did a few years back.

People will know what makes each car beneficial for them. A lot of drivers out there will prefer the luxury, and a lot of drivers will prefer the performance.

People prefer Lexus for the luxury. I think that if Infiniti focuses on the drivers that prefer performance, it will take away from BMW sales, not Lexus...
When Infiniti "did well" for itself with the first G35, the IS300's sales tanked (and not the 3-series).

With that said, the new IS is a bit more luxury focused than the last car. However, with it's 306-hp motor and advertising calling itself "the fastest car in it's class," it's untrue that Lexus hasn't tried to appeal to the performance crowd.

I think the 2IS early sales gains have a lot to do with no one else matching it's performance--this will surely diminish with the newer G35 and 335i on the scene. Both of those cars have the moves, power, and appropriate trannys and that will surely reduce the gains the 2IS would have made. The 335i will win the comparison matchups (and continue it's strong sales surge), and the G35 will re-gain sales it lost over the past year.

What's the 2IS' remaining advantage? Interior quality? Doesn't seem like a whole lot.
Old 09-07-06, 04:18 PM
is250_fan
Driver School Candidate

good point about size. Isn't the g35 the largest entry level lux sedan? Would be interest in hearing from is owner on how usable the back seat actually is.
Old 09-07-06, 04:49 PM
vegaseric
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by is250_fan
good point about size. Isn't the g35 the largest entry level lux sedan? Would be interest in hearing from is owner on how usable the back seat actually is.
I'm not a sedan owner, but I've driven a few of the G35 sedan loaners. The back seat is comfortable, even for 6' passengers. The G35 sedan would be a decent alternative to the IS if you're looking for rear legroom in a entry-level luxury sedan.
Old 09-07-06, 08:17 PM
lexem
Pole Position

I currently have a G35 Coupe (is350 on order). After taking to car in countless times for rattles and warranty work, I've driven many g35 sedans. They are larger and have plenty of room for 4 tall people. The coupe's rear seats have plenty of leg room but no headroom (must be under 5'6").
I saw picture of the 07 g35 sedan. I don't like it. It looks just like their FX console and has too many different colors everywhere (orange, red, white, blue, light blue). Why would they make the interior look like there SUV? I like my 2003 coupe better. The gearbox on my coupe is freaking great. I must give them that. The performance is good (even in the auto). The seats of the coupe hold you in and don't let you slide around. Now that all the problems are fixed I will hate to let it go but then again I can't wait until the IS comes in. I never really like the consoles or lighting of the 3 series BMW.

I went to the Lexus dealer this afternoon to drive the IS again. They had a 250 but they let me take it out by myself for a while. I must say the 250 is nice but I can't wait to test driver the 350 by myself
Believe me you cannot compare the quality of the whole car to Infiniti. Lexus has done it's homework. Hands down the winner is Lexus. I would recommend the Infiniti is you couldn't afford the Lexus. The only problem I see with the IS350 is the seats. I slide a little in them. I might just be use to the coupe I have. What do you guys think of the seats (as far as holding you in position)?
Old 09-07-06, 08:26 PM
nmes923
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hip_hop77
the new inetrior is actually pretty nice... well much better than b4...
and how do you know if g35 is faster w/ am supercharger than is350??
is350 supercharger isnt out yet... i give props to g35... they done well this year... i still love my car ofcourse.. and would not change my decision.
sorry about that your right i dont know if its faster. but i have heard stories of G35 being extremely fast with superchargers but if someone makes a very reliable superhcarger for a lexus then the IS350 will probably be faster :-p but still the g35 is a nice car. it has a great look to it and draws attention to wherever it goes. especially once you put an exhaust and rims and stuff they are both very nice cars. It just depends on the buyer
Old 09-07-06, 08:26 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lexem
What do you guys think of the seats (as far as holding you in position)?
They're not as good in this regard as the coupe. The seats in the coupe were well bolstered, firmer, very comfortable and you definitely didn't slide around in them. The seats in the IS are a little softer, less bolstered and slightly more comfortable. When I first got the car, I noticed a little sliding. However, it seems that my rear end has made it's imprint and I don't slide in them any longer.
Old 09-08-06, 04:08 PM
is250_fan
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the info on the g35 back seats. Can we hear from IS owners on how usable their back seats are?
Old 09-08-06, 04:45 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Describe your situation, what are you looking to do w/ the back seat ?
The IS is my daily commuter - 95% of the time it will only be me and maybe another adult in the passenger seat. Since it is the 2nd car, I needed 4 doors and a workable backseat in case I needed to take my 2 preK kids with me. The backseat is fine for my kids for the next 5-7 years. I tell friends & colleagues that my IS is not the designated carpool/people mover vehicle . . .

Quick Reply: '07 G35 6MT v 07 IS350