IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

'07 G35 6MT v 07 IS350

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-06, 06:39 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by is250_fan
thanks for the info on the g35 back seats. Can we hear from IS owners on how usable their back seats are?
It depends on what you're using them for. I take my two-year old son to daycare, and his carseat fits fine back there. The only negative is that he can (and does) reach the back of the front passenger seat with his feet.
Old 09-08-06, 08:38 PM
is250_fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to make sure that the back seat is actually usable for 2 adults. I'm in a similar situation and probably will only have my son in the back, but would like to know that I can actually use the back seat for transportation of adults.
Old 09-08-06, 11:39 PM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Well here is the REAL 2007 G35 sedan interior/exterior shots. As you can see Infiniti has redone the interior to match the "M" series.

Speculation is that the G35 sedan will have 320 HP and yes some of you can see the "steering column" paddle shifters, oh and yes they are fixed and not attatched to the steering wheel...nice, finally a japanese company taking que from ferrari.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/06/...-sedan-photos/
Old 09-09-06, 12:26 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 15951
I drove one a couple of years back, and the IS350 feels much more "nailed down" and quiet to me. However, if my budget had been smaller, this car would have been the winner.
You said "quiet"... that worth more than $10k to me. LOL.. I guess you can't compare apple and orange.

Sorry, I am just a Toyota fan.
Old 09-09-06, 04:35 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Civic Si-r
Well here is the REAL 2007 G35 sedan interior/exterior shots. As you can see Infiniti has redone the interior to match the "M" series.

Speculation is that the G35 sedan will have 320 HP and yes some of you can see the "steering column" paddle shifters, oh and yes they are fixed and not attatched to the steering wheel...nice, finally a japanese company taking que from ferrari.

Two comments:

- The design is much better than the 2006, IMO, and the rear end is vastly improved. I get pissed that the back end of our IS350s look like a Hyundai.

- The wood on the interior is fantastic. I love that it's not clearcoated - looks very "organic" in the pictures.

The only thing that would keep me from this car are rattles (ad nauseum), a louder cabin at speed, and the amazingly crappy B(l)ose sound system. I had a Nissan Maxima with the Bose system, and they essentially just overboost the bass and use crappy speakers...it sounded muddy and horrible compared to the ML.

It's going to come down to the little things when comparing the cars. The build quality of a Lexus is excellent, and things like seat comfort, interior layout, etc. make it the winner for me. However, if I was hell bent on having a manual tranny, that might all change.

Last edited by 15951; 09-09-06 at 04:40 AM.
Old 09-09-06, 05:07 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven from Ft Lauderdale to Key West (which is a good 4 hour drive) with 2 people in the back. We all arrived with no complaints. Infiniti definitely has a good product, but I think the Lexus is a lot better. Since the last G35 was such a hit, the styling of the new G doesn't look that much different than the old one. (which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it)

Between these two cars, I would still go with the Lexus.
Old 09-09-06, 05:12 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Rear end sort of reminds me of a dodge intrepid or something... But anyway, I like it 10X better than the previous style, they def did a nice job redoing the car... Those rims are sweet too...
Old 09-09-06, 08:19 AM
mort
Lead Lap

I like it better than the last model but does not come close to the IS in my opinion. Nice to have the exhaust tips on each corner. Never really liked the duals coming out one side on the old car, especially when the coupe looks so good from the back and do not like that look on the BMW 3 series sedan either. The interior reminds me of my old Infiniti FX, which is fine but the IS interior is so much better.
Old 09-09-06, 08:37 PM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

It has been confirmed by Infiniti for a while that the 2007 G35 sedan will have 306 hp, same as the IS350.
Old 09-10-06, 06:39 PM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

I just want to make sure that the back seat is actually usable for 2 adults. I'm in a similar situation and probably will only have my son in the back, but would like to know that I can actually use the back seat for transportation of adults.
The only way to find out is to go to the Lexus Dealership and have you and another "adult" sit in the back. Adults can be from short to tall and it depends on the adult size of your family and friends. Sure the rear seats are tight as everyone knows, but it's still comfy...
Old 09-10-06, 09:44 PM
brentweiss
Rookie

im not crazy about the wood in the pictures of the new G...looks cheap to me
Old 09-10-06, 10:00 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Here's a comparison of the G35 standard interior v. the IS350 standard interior. Good thing about the G35 is that it comes standard with the screen, even without Nav.

IS350 really needs the Nav screen and wood trim to look good, imo.

G35 standard interior

IS350 standard interior
Old 09-10-06, 10:01 PM
doesun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brentweiss
im not crazy about the wood in the pictures of the new G...looks cheap to me
if you check out the M in person, you would change your mind
Old 09-11-06, 06:32 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks for the info on the g35 back seats. Can we hear from IS owners on how usable their back seats are?
This past weekend, I had a 6ft individual in the passenger seat, two 5 foot females, and a 5'8" male in the rear, and nobody complained, despite the hump in the center portion. There is most definately "room" for improvement in the rear seating space department, but most other times its one other passenger. I've found anything above 5'8"(ish) all around, just does not work, especially when the height is in the legs.

Funny thing is, that same day I bumped into a 335i for the first time, but couldn't do a thing about it. We must've weighed in excess of 4,200lbs.

As for the new G35, I have high hopes for that car, as it looks great (though not better than the IS and 330/335), and appears to be shaping up nicely over the last generation...if the IS didn't exist, this would be my next choice. If this is what the sedan looks (and performs) like, I can't wait for the coupe version...I applaud infinity on their efforts. That said though, it still appears to be on the heels of the 3-series, by attempting to outdo it at its own game, rather than distinguishing itself as something different; as such, I still place my favor on the IS for giving me attention to luxury/detail. Competition is great.
Old 09-11-06, 06:45 AM
jzalkin
Rookie

I think this is a little misleading due to the angle. The Lexus being shot from the passanger side while the G35 from the driver side. You would need the same perspective to compare effectively. Showing the driver side view of any car will always make it look more interesting.

I think the design is a step up from the old G, but if recent history holds true - quality will be lacking.

Originally Posted by jrock65
Here's a comparison of the G35 standard interior v. the IS350 standard interior. Good thing about the G35 is that it comes standard with the screen, even without Nav.

IS350 really needs the Nav screen and wood trim to look good, imo.

G35 standard interior

IS350 standard interior

Quick Reply: '07 G35 6MT v 07 IS350