IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Are you sure your aux. jack is in stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06, 07:16 PM
muffin57
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you sure your aux. jack is in stereo?

Hello to all.....

I just resolved a strange problem with my new is250 awd, and I'm wondering if anyone else had a similar experience. I noticed that when I played my iPod through the aux. input, it wasn't playing in stereo. I was getting the left channel through the entire car. When I first brought the car in, the service guy told me that Lexus stereos have a problem with digital information, and can't split the signal. That sounded crazy to me, when the aux. on my $70 sirius satelite boom box splits the signal just fine. Anyway, to prove that something was wrong, I played a Velvet Underground song for the tech while we were both sitting in my car. The song is supposed to be spoken word on one side, music on the other. We only heard spoken word. Then we brought my iPod to another is250awd and played that same song. We clearly heard both channels; music on one side, spoken word on the other. He agreed that something was wrong. After 3 days in a loaner, he finally figured out what was wrong, and fixed it. He also told me that he's never seen that problem before. Just wanted to share my tale, and see if anyone else had any thoughts.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 09-07-06, 08:26 PM
lexxyho
Driver School Candidate

Hello!
Did he told you how he fixed it please.
Thank you
Old 09-07-06, 08:59 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

can u tell us exactly what song that was so others especially me can try it out....
Old 09-07-06, 09:29 PM
DRIVEN1
Driver

I am happy he fixed it for you! The AUX input is definately in stereo for sure (if working properly). I have several test discs from when I used to be an official IASCA car stereo judge. These discs are used to hear channel seperation, play tracks for anlaysis by and RTA meter, Sound Quality and balance. It has some tracks that are to start on the front left and gradually move across the dash to the right. If a car is set up correctly, you should be able to close your eyes and hear the entire sound stage as recorded. The Lexus ML system is as good as you can get "stock". It could be imporved with some money and time, but for a stock system, it is very nice.

Thanks for your story.
Old 09-07-06, 10:12 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Yeah man tell us how he fixed it. There is no use posting this on here and not telling us how he fixed it. Please explain.
Old 09-08-06, 02:05 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

or at least tell us what was wrong with it
Old 09-08-06, 04:47 AM
muffin57
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure exactly how he fixed it. He tried to explain it to me, but I was lost in computer jargin. It was something with a computer chip. He told me that he had my car next to another is250 and just kept comparing the two. It was serviced by Adam at Prestige Lexus in Ramsey, NJ. The song I used was White Light, White Heat, by the Velvet Underground. If it's playing correctly, you should hear a guy talking on the left side, and just music on the right.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-08-06, 11:50 AM
chubbymike
Driver

i'm not sure if mine has the same problem. this past weekend, i was driving down to LA and so i bought a audio jack(belkin) and monster car charger to connect the ipod 30G w/ video to the car. i have an IS 350 w/ ML. when i plugged the jack to the earphone jack on the ipod and connect to the aux jack of the car, the music was only coming from 1 side (left). however, on the monster car charger, there's a separate ouput jack. so i plugged into that and then to the aux jack of the car and everything is in stereo.
anyone have that problem? is that normal??

in summary:
ipod <-------> aux. jack = mono
ipod plugged into charger <-------> aux. jack = stereo.

Old 09-08-06, 01:13 PM
muffin57
Driver School Candidate

That's a strange problem chubby.

My problem was a bit different. Mono means you're getting both audio channels out of one speaker or one side. I was getting the left channel throughout the entire car. As per your problem, it doesn't make sense that it only works out of the monster cable line out. I really don't get it. Mention it next time your car is in for service. Make sure you have your iPod with you.

I personally don't like using the iPod charger because it gives off some kind of buzzing/hissing/dentist drill type sound. I've read of other people hearing similar sounds while using the charger.

Wish I could be more help.
Old 09-08-06, 02:13 PM
david_s
Driver School Candidate

One of the first mistakes people make is to use the wrong mini cable. This is a picture of a stereo capable cable. Notice the two rings around the male ends. There are cables out there that only have one ring. These are not stereo capable.
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-06, 02:26 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think....i think....i could be wrong....but you can see if there is a problem when the music is playing. go into the audio on the nav screen and see if only one set of speaks (lets say the left side) is showing as "active". The lines cross somewhere in the middle of the car meaning the sound is balanced from left to right and from front to rear. when this happens, you see the lines crossing way on the left side for example.
Old 09-08-06, 03:07 PM
kingpcgeek
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by muffin57
guy told me that Lexus stereos have a problem with digital information, and can't split the signal.
Absolutely ridiculous explanation. Lexus stereos have a problem with digital info huh? Can't split its signal? Too bad that the aux jack is not digital. Its strictly analog, same old technology that your grandpa (or great grandpa depending on your age) used to listen to Sinatra on his HiFi.

The more then likely problem was a mis-soldered/connected wire. The aux jack has three wires: a right channel wire, a left channel wire and a common (ground) wire. Chances are they had both the left and right channel wires soldered/connected to just one side (left or right) of the aux jack. Human error, not a conspiracy by Lexus to limit your digital listening pleasure.
Old 09-08-06, 03:41 PM
muffin57
Driver School Candidate

Hi King,

I totally agree. I wasn't about to agrue with the guy on the spot, but I knew he was wrong. The extended story is that the car was in the shop twice. The first time he checked only the wiring, and came up with nothing. He told me everything looked fine and to come back with my iPod and we'd check it together. That's when I actually proved to him that something was wrong.

When I first brought it in, I really figured he'd just solder up a loose wire and I'd be on my way. Days later he calls to say he found the problem. On his behalf, he was a really nice guy. He was calling me twice a day with updates, and I could tell he was frustrated.

Anyway, I'm glad it's fixed.
Old 09-21-06, 01:15 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I am having the same problem. Has anyone found out the problem? Because I have this problem and it's really aggrivating me because my gf says she can't hear the music from her side.
Old 09-21-06, 07:06 AM
muffin57
Driver School Candidate

Hi cspec,

I'm wondering if you're really having the same problem. I could hear the music on both sides. It just wasn't coming out in stereo. If you're completely not hearing it on one side, that's a different problem. Maybe a speaker is blown or something. Either way, you have to have it looked at by the dealer. They gave me a loaner when I brought mine in, they'll probably do the same for you.

Good luck.