IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Xenon Depot Grommets, Top notch

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06, 07:30 PM
StockIS350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenon Depot Grommets, Top notch

Hey guys and gals, here is a few lazy pictures of my HID install, I'll post more pictures when I take them, but as you can see the Xenon Depot kit comes with very nice grommets, I've gone through some heavy rain, those of you in Miami, now what I'm talking about, and no condensation.

All the wires go through one grommet, only one hole, no huge drilling of the dust cap.

The result, very pleased, very high output of light

Last edited by StockIS350; 09-08-06 at 08:24 PM. Reason: linked pics
Old 09-07-06, 07:32 PM
Kepeli
Pole Position

Can't see images here?
Old 09-07-06, 07:52 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

i didnt' get gromeets from xd =/
Old 09-07-06, 07:53 PM
menech
Lead Lap

yah they look nice from the pics I've seen

My xenon depot kit was missing the grommets...when Imaputz and I installed ours he put alot of silcon around the hole to seal it up. I didn't do mine when we installed and got some condensation so I just sealed mine up this week and think it should be ok now.
Old 09-08-06, 07:38 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

My XD kit did not come with the grommets as well.

Steve from Xenon Depot did mentioned that even with the gommets, you will need to drill 2 holes on each dust cap. (One BIG hole for the bulb wires and one smaller hole for the ignitor wires). The XD kit only comes with one grommet for the bulb wires right? You still need to "seal' the other smaller hole with either silicon sealant or small grommets from home depot.

This is what I did:
I bought 2 grommets from Home Depot with 0.5" ID.
I drilled just 1(one) hole with 0.5" diameter on each of the dust cap.
Then, I removed the plastic connectors from the kit wires (bulb connectors were grey and ignitor connectors were white) per Steve's instruction and run the wires through the holes and the 0.5" grommets.

Then I wrapped all the wires with heatshrink tubing. The heatshrink material filled up the hole really well and make it snug fit, rubbing with the wall of the rubber grommets. Then I applied silicon sealant to any visible gap between them.

Finally, re-installed the plastic connectors to the wire-ends.

So far so good, no condensation after 2 tropical storms , 5 carwashes, and countless days with high humidity in Maryland Eastern Shore climate.

Last edited by SugarRush; 09-08-06 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-08-06, 09:05 AM
menech
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SugarRush
My XD kit did not come with the grommets as well.

Steve from Xenon Depot did mentioned that even with the gommets, you will need to drill 2 holes on each dust cap. (One BIG hole for the bulb wires and one smaller hole for the ignitor wires). The XD kit only comes with one grommet for the bulb wires right? You still need to "seal' the other smaller hole with either silicon sealant or small grommets from home depot.

This is what I did:
I bought 2 grommets from Home Depot with 0.5" ID.
I drilled just 1(one) hole with 0.5" diameter on each of the dust cap.
Then, I removed the plastic connectors from the kit wires (bulb connectors were grey and ignitor connectors were white) per Steve's instruction and run the wires through the holes and the 0.5" grommets.

Then I wrapped all the wires with heatshrink tubing. The heatshrink material filled up the hole really well and make it snug fit, rubbing with the wall of the rubber grommets. Then I applied silicon sealant to any visible gap between them.

Finally, re-installed the plastic connectors to the wire-ends.

So far so good, no condensation after 2 tropical storms , 5 carwashes, and countless days with high humidity in Maryland Eastern Shore climate.
ahh thats a great way to do it! I had to drill the big hole to get the grey connector through...would have been nice to use a .5 hole saw, those wires are really small. I tried to remove the connectors but couldn't really figure it out and didn't want to snap or break the plastic.
Old 09-08-06, 09:46 AM
JoesIS250
Driver

im just about ready to purchase the 6000k kit from xenon depot but im still trying to find a good shop here on north jersey to install them. i really dont wnat any problems with the lights going out or wires hanging from the engine bay. if anyone knows of a good shop id appreciate the tip
Old 09-08-06, 10:44 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by menech
ahh thats a great way to do it! I had to drill the big hole to get the grey connector through...would have been nice to use a .5 hole saw, those wires are really small. I tried to remove the connectors but couldn't really figure it out and didn't want to snap or break the plastic.
Menech (and others who want to know how to remove the bulb and ignitor plastic connectors):

Steve from Xenon Depot have put together a writeup including photos on how to remove the plastic connector of his XD HID kit. He did offer to email the details to 2IS Club Lexus members who want to go this route when installing the XD kit.

Please email him at steve@xenondepot.com
He will send it to you for sure.

This may be useful for those who do not want to drill two holes on each dust cap in order to fish the wire through.

Last edited by SugarRush; 09-08-06 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-08-06, 03:22 PM
StockIS350
Rookie

NEGATIVE, what you guys see in the gallery is all the wires needed going through the one grommet, no need to drill
Old 09-08-06, 03:35 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by StockIS350
all I can say is look in the photo gallery, and advise me how to attach these photos
Went ahead and linked the pics into your first post.

For a how to, go here (I used method B to attach multiple pics):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...362#post971362
Old 09-08-06, 04:15 PM
StockIS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by EXE.UCF10
Went ahead and linked the pics into your first post.

For a how to, go here (I used method B to attach multiple pics):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...362#post971362
thank you sir, I appreciate it