IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dunlop tire wear @ 15k miles (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-06, 02:51 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, you need to explain this one, why would you buy 3 sets of tires for your car in advance ??? No concerns about dry rot, cracking or compound stiffening in KS ?!?
Old 09-08-06, 02:53 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
i sure hope these tires will work on the is500. i have three sets of them because i anticipated short tire life. i need to see the is350 by mid-2008 and i only run 12-15k a year.
Why do you have 3 sets? Are they just sitting in your garage, slowly ceramifying from heat / moisture cycles, UV, and ozone?
Old 09-08-06, 04:33 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ...so i never claimed to know everything. :)

EXTRA TIRES. sorry for the hijack....

but 1) i got them for cheap, people were getting rid of their like new stock tires when they first bought their car switch out for better tires, 2) i always keep a couple extra in case of blown tire, 3) i thought i would do my normal 25k per year and before i knew about is500 i thought i would keep my is350 car for 5+ years.

ok so help me out here,

one set of 4 tires are on rims
one set of 4 tires are not on rims
one set of 4 tires are winter tires on winter rims
one set of tires are on my car

so i have these tires in my garage, nicely stored, all wrapped up, is that going to be a problem when it comes time to use them later?

i usually keep winter tires on for 5 months and the following year (March 07) switch to one of the other sets, a set that would have been sitting around for at least 1.5 years. how long can they sit around? what do i need to do to maintain them? do i need to sell these tires and forget about this plan gone awry?

Old 09-08-06, 04:39 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Ken,

Street tires aren't going to degrade as quickly as R compounds, but it would still be better for the tires if you could store them in a dark air conditioned area in somewhat air-tight trash bags. I always stored my R compound tires double bagged in large black Hefty's in one of my spare bedroom closets.
Old 09-08-06, 05:18 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my take (like you, I'm not a tire expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last year). Since you utilize winter tires, your stock tires will hold up longer than others who don't swap tires. I'd guess you get at least 3 years use from them. I'm assuming you don't have TPMS sensors in the 2nd set of rims/summer tires (ones not on car), but do have them on the winter set ? By the nature of the IS's TPMS, it's a PITA to buy more sensors and install them on the 2nd set of summer tires, so having the 2nd set is really not beneficial to your situation. I would sell the 2nd rim/tire set, keep the set of summer tires and let nature run it's course. When your original tires wear out, replace them with your backup tires. If you should damage a rim, you have your winter rim/tire as an emergency backup while you repair or source a new rim. I think I read somewhere on a Goodyear site that keeping a tire that has not been placed into service for more than 5 years is NOT a good thing (due to cracking, compound breakdown, dryrot, etc).
Old 09-08-06, 05:27 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my second set of TPMS is on the winter tires. thanks for the info, i guess i am going to have to do more research to see if this is going to work out for the long term. my garage is mostly dark and inside those tires covers, the individual tires are wrapped in plastic. however, my garage is not climate controlled.

i sure hope the is500 will use these tires else you're right, i'm going to have to sell one set of four + rims at a minimum.
Old 09-08-06, 05:37 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

You can PM bartkat on my.is about how well they will hold up in storage. He is a retired Chief engineer from Goodyear.
Old 09-08-06, 05:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,041 Likes on 2,447 Posts

I can tell you a 5 year old set of MXX3's on my Supra was not good at all. Very hard, very slick, not at all anything you'd want to run on a performance ride.