IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I love this VDIM

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-06, 12:13 PM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i never felt it kick in, well not under normal driving, i always do the pedal dance when i want to have some fun.
Old 09-08-06, 12:17 PM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

bit annoying after coming from the G where you could 100% turn it off. dont do many burn outs or kicking the rear end around corners so it dosent kick on much.
Old 09-08-06, 12:18 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think maybe you should have kept your SR20DET powered car instead.

So where in Pasadena you at?
Old 09-08-06, 12:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,064 Likes on 2,461 Posts

I think maybe you should investing in driving courses. I drive hard at times, and I've held a few competition licenses over the years. I have to intentionally push the car in ways it doesn't like to get the VSC light to come on. I've had the car in a four wheel drift without VSC interfering. You just have to be giving it the right inputs. If you manhandle it, it will fight back. You really ought to do the pedal dance and drive without it. I think you'll get a much better feel for what the car will do, and you'll stop trying to make it do things it won't.

And yeah, the IS350 drives well within the same league as a 1993 TT Supra. I seriously doubt your Celica would outperform the IS in capable hands especially on a stock suspension.
Old 09-08-06, 12:52 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

I agree with lobuxracer. I think you need to work on your skills a bit. I'm glad my family or I don't have to share the road with you. If you’re making the VDIM bells and whistles go off every other day, something is seriously wrong with your driving. Also, several SKILLED drivers like lobuxracer have posted that on the track they were able to push the car hard without the bells and whistles going off.

I know, I know, you’re a good driver. No need to reply to tell me that. Your post has already told me how good of a driver you are.
Old 09-08-06, 01:20 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by G35TOIS350
bit annoying after coming from the G where you could 100% turn it off. dont do many burn outs or kicking the rear end around corners so it dosent kick on much.
That's incorrect. You could never turn off the VSC in the G completely unless you pulled a fuse that turned everything off including the ABS.
Old 09-08-06, 01:21 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I've had the car in a four wheel drift without VSC interfering.
x2. I've posted this in past threads. Smooth is the order of the day. If you're smooth, it will let you get away with plenty.
Old 09-08-06, 01:37 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I don't think I've ever experienced VDIM interfering in corners unless I deliberately tried to test it. It does interfere a lot when I'm accellerating in a straight line, which really bugs me. I think it is way too sensitive in that respect. Even when I do the pedal dance, I can't get the back tires to break loose for more than a millisecond (chirp).
Old 09-08-06, 02:35 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So there I was, pushing hard coming down from a local mountain resort. (Lake Arrowhead for those from So. Cal.) That IS350 of mine was handling very well. Did the VDIM kick in? Nope but my VCW came on and never quit. All the way down that mountain it kept interrupting my fun. NUTS.

Oh, sorry, some of you probably don't have VCW in your Lexus IS. It stands for Very Concerned Wife!!
Old 09-08-06, 02:38 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I personally love the fact my car has vdim. A kill switch like found on the 07's would be nice, but I'd still rather have it than not have it.
Old 09-08-06, 02:46 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexustom
So there I was, pushing hard coming down from a local mountain resort. (Lake Arrowhead for those from So. Cal.) That IS350 of mine was handling very well. Did the VDIM kick in? Nope but my VCW came on and never quit. All the way down that mountain it kept interrupting my fun. NUTS.

Oh, sorry, some of you probably don't have VCW in your Lexus IS. It stands for Very Concerned Wife!!
LMAO!! Yes, all my cars come with that feature too!
Old 09-08-06, 02:50 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i guess on turn ... i like to push it ...

The celica doesn't outhandle the is350 on short 90 degree turns, but it does outhandle in wide circular turns. (I only have rear stut installed ; front are stock... that's how i got the car. )

i still have the sr20det... just sitting in garage... trying to sell all vehicles..

When i get the ecu interfering i'm not drivng like a normal person .. this is true... I am pushing the car cause I want to know it's limit, but there are turns and corners around my house where i like to push really hard. I live up a hill so it's very nice. I do try to be very safe though... i try not to enter a blind spot so fast...

I'm not picking a fight with you guys... people here seemed to be a lil mad by my post... Did i say I love your IS350?

btw i really suck at driving... that's why i got an auto ~~:smile:
Old 09-08-06, 02:59 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

the brakes on this car is awsome btw... saved me the other day... some lady tried to hit my fender
Old 09-08-06, 03:02 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by omgitsroy
the brakes on this car is awsome btw... saved me the other day... some lady tried to hit my fender
Surely she didn't TRY to hit your fender...
Old 09-08-06, 04:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,064 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Originally Posted by omgitsroy
i guess on turn ... i like to push it ...

The celica doesn't outhandle the is350 on short 90 degree turns, but it does outhandle in wide circular turns. (I only have rear stut installed ; front are stock... that's how i got the car. )

i still have the sr20det... just sitting in garage... trying to sell all vehicles..

When i get the ecu interfering i'm not drivng like a normal person .. this is true... I am pushing the car cause I want to know it's limit, but there are turns and corners around my house where i like to push really hard. I live up a hill so it's very nice. I do try to be very safe though... i try not to enter a blind spot so fast...

I'm not picking a fight with you guys... people here seemed to be a lil mad by my post... Did i say I love your IS350?

btw i really suck at driving... that's why i got an auto ~~:smile:

Naw, not mad at all. I've just been to the track, so I know how you can think you're really pushing hard, got everything working just right, and then some smart aleck just drives around you like you are stopped. And you're in the same machine...

Seriously, hit up a driving school. You'll really be amazed at how much faster you can go with a LOT more control, and without scaring the bejesus out of everyone else on the road. I'm not kidding when I say in my sig, the BEST mods are made to the driver.

Quick Reply: I love this VDIM