IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

where to get engine cover clips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-06, 01:47 PM
sdpq
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to get engine cover clips?

I messed up some of the engine cover clips doing some installs and was wondering where to get replacements, any ideas besides the dealer?
Old 09-11-06, 01:57 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I got mine from the dealer, mainly because I didn't feel like searching around for some other ones. We searched the exploded diagram of the engine bay on the parts department computer, and discovered they are Lexus part # 90467-07211, and cost $1.74 each. They've changed the clips, though - these fill out the hole better and don't break NEARLY as easily. However, they are unfortunately a bit more difficult to take out than the original clips. To take these out, you have to work your fingernail into the center lip of the button, instead of just pressing the small head all the way down like on the original clips. Anyway, I like the new ones WAY better than the old ones...

Javier
Old 09-11-06, 03:26 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about the engine cover, or engine bay trim panels? The plastic retainer clips on the 3 black panels suck. I just removed them all since the panels all stay in the right place without them.
Old 09-11-06, 03:29 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

those lil black push clips are expensive! paid 1.95 each for mine from the dealer...
Old 09-11-06, 03:49 PM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

This is good info for everyone to know. Unless you take your IS to Lexus for service, you can bet that every mechanic type that has to service under your hood is going to butcher those clips all to hell trying to remove them. I had a jackass car stereo installer lose one and break two of mine last week trying to run power to the sub amp.
Old 09-11-06, 04:14 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Honestly, I haven't figured out how the clips are supposed to work. What is the little button for in the center? I accidentally pushed one of the buttons in once, and couldn't get it to pop back out again.

BTW, I wonder how many quick-lube places will know how to handle those things when they check the air filters... just another reason to DIY...
Old 09-11-06, 05:24 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Gernby
Honestly, I haven't figured out how the clips are supposed to work. What is the little button for in the center? I accidentally pushed one of the buttons in once, and couldn't get it to pop back out again.
A nice diagram on how to pop the center button back up by spreading the legs of the clips are nicely illustrated in the Owner's Manual. There is a big illustration in one of the pages, if I am not mistaken, under the section: how to replace your headlight bulb.
Old 09-11-06, 07:34 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

you're suppose to press the button in the middle down. then take out the entire clip. when the clip is out you can spread the legs to pop the button in the middle back up. place the clip back in to the hole and press the button down to lock the clip.
Old 09-12-06, 06:40 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Well, if pressing the button "locks" the clip in the hole, then how do you get the clip back out to "unlock" it?
Old 09-12-06, 07:03 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AZ IS350
I had a jackass car stereo installer lose one and break two of mine last week trying to run power to the sub amp.
That makes him a jackass?
Old 09-12-06, 08:14 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
Well, if pressing the button "locks" the clip in the hole, then how do you get the clip back out to "unlock" it?
the button has 3 positions. middle position when it's "flush" is the locked position. when you press it down it goes into the unlocked position and you can pull the entire clip out. when the clip is out you have to pull the button back up so the button is actually sticking out of the clip. this is when you put the entire clip back into the hole and press the button down to the middle locked position. i wish i had a picture or something... would make describing it a lot easier...
Old 09-12-06, 08:27 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
the button has 3 positions. middle position when it's "flush" is the locked position. when you press it down it goes into the unlocked position and you can pull the entire clip out. when the clip is out you have to pull the button back up so the button is actually sticking out of the clip. this is when you put the entire clip back into the hole and press the button down to the middle locked position. i wish i had a picture or something... would make describing it a lot easier...
That makes sense.
Old 09-12-06, 11:06 AM
flyfl1pguy

Just go to the dealer.
Old 09-12-06, 02:04 PM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

take them off a loaner next time you have the car in for service hehe
Old 09-12-06, 02:14 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by G35TOIS350
take them off a loaner next time you have the car in for service hehe
... and evil prevails ...

Quick Reply: where to get engine cover clips?