IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Paint Issues "Pebble Finish" Blue Onyx Paint Defect??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-06, 04:17 PM
Jamesq
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Issues "Pebble Finish" Blue Onyx Paint Defect??

First Post. I have a Blue Onyx IS350 for about 3 months. During my first waxing I noticed a "pebble" finish on the drivers side passenger door. It looks like contaminants under the paint. See picture attached. I know this wasn't there before as I hand wash it every weekend. After a thorough inspection I noticed in on other doors and body panels in varying degrees of density but none on the roof, trunk lid, bumpers, or hood. I stopped by ABRA(body shop) and he said it looked like solvents working their way to the surface and he said to take it up with Lexus. Any ideas what might be causing this? I've contacted my Lexus Dealer and he says he's never heard of it.

Jamesq
'06 Blue Onyx IS350 NAV, Prem
Attached Thumbnails Paint Issues "Pebble Finish" Blue Onyx Paint Defect??-pebble-finiish.jpg  
Old 09-11-06, 04:24 PM
lexem
Pole Position

What do you wash your car with?
Old 09-11-06, 04:29 PM
Jamesq
Driver School Candidate

Meguiars NXT Car Wash and Meguiars Gold Car Wax. Sheeps Wool Mit.
Old 09-11-06, 04:32 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow... That is a tough one. So who is liable of this paint defect? The car washing detergent or Lexus? If both refuse to be liable, then i'm sorry to say you must bring it to your insurance company.

Time for a new paint job!
Old 09-11-06, 04:34 PM
Jamesq
Driver School Candidate

It seems if it was detergent related it would be on the trunk, hood, and roof also. Those are as smooth as glass
Old 09-11-06, 04:37 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow... so how are you gonna get the detergent company responsible for this damage? They would say.. "User Error" and then you are back to claiming your insurance.
Old 09-11-06, 05:30 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

This isn't the first paint issue i've seen turn up...but most of the paint issues i've seen were regarding chipping. Definitely bring it up with your dealer, and escalate it to corporate if you can't get it resolved.

I don't see it being a cleaning agent issue, as the products you mentioned are extremely popular and you would see many similar claims popping up all over the nation.
Old 09-11-06, 05:33 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Why is anyone discussing Meguiars being responsible for a paint defect? I've been using Megs products for 15 years, with no random paint bubbling. Let's get back to reality.

There was obviously a problem with your paint right from the factory. Take it back to the dealer and insist on a repaint. If this is only on specific parts of your car, it may have been damaged in transit and repainted poorly. Any good body shop would be able to quickly tell you if it's a repaint.

Good luck.
Old 09-11-06, 05:42 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 15951
Why is anyone discussing Meguiars being responsible for a paint defect? I've been using Megs products for 15 years, with no random paint bubbling. Let's get back to reality.

There was obviously a problem with your paint right from the factory. Take it back to the dealer and insist on a repaint. If this is only on specific parts of your car, it may have been damaged in transit and repainted poorly. Any good body shop would be able to quickly tell you if it's a repaint.

Good luck.
Exactly. Unless you are soaking your car in Dawn and brake fluid every day, it's pretty hard to penetrate brand new clearcoat and paint.

I would be shocked if they repainted it due to damage in transit. I've never heard of such a thing happening...but you never know
Old 09-11-06, 06:48 PM
Jamesq
Driver School Candidate

My car came straight from the Jacksonville port so I don't think it had a repaint. The picture shows my finger on the camera so you can get an idea of the size of the bubbles. Is a "non factory" repaint going to look consistant or will I be unhappy. This my first Lexus and I don't want a "cob job". I'll see what the dealer says tomorrow. They're in North Atlanta.
Old 09-11-06, 07:52 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Just curious, in what section of the doors or panels is this appearing on??

Maybe you can take a picture of one side of the car and then edit the photo with red cirlces to show where your problem areas are..

Joe
Old 09-12-06, 06:12 PM
Jamesq
Driver School Candidate

I talked with ABRA and they definately said its a paint defect since it's under the clear coat. I went to the Lexus dealership and they think the truck hauling it from Jacksonville may have sprung a hydraulic leak. Since the top, hood, and trunk are covered by plastic sheets they wouldn't have been affected. The dealer had to see the oil on it when it arrived!!!! They have a Factory guy that comes around once a month that needs to look at it and decide what to do. I'm not excited about having both sides of my car stripped and repainted as I feel it will not match the rest of the car. With only 2300 miles on it I'm not sure what's fair to ask for. Should I bring it to an independent body shop after they repaint it for an evaluation??
Old 09-12-06, 06:30 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ask for a new car, accept nothing less...
Old 09-12-06, 08:43 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed something similar(Except it was large streaks) on my Is after leaving the dealership. It was on the hood. I swore it was under the paint. But it turned out that it went away with some Meguires fine cut cleaner.

I went to the dealer again and found the same streaks on my rear bumper. It was the tire shine that they used. Who knows what it is on your car.

Another time I wiped some bird poo off my door. And it left a nice stain! I used fine cut cleaner... nothing. The stain would not come off. Eventually it just faded away... like nothing happened

See what you can get from the dealership first.... then Maybe pick up some fine cut cleaner and use it in a small area.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 09-12-06 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-15-06, 06:22 AM
Jamesq
Driver School Candidate

Lexus factory rep looked at it Friday and said they were going to buy it back and give me a new car. I'm not sure whether it will be an 06 or 07 yet but I have a feeling the 06's are almost gone. I'm going to miss Nav Overide and Blue Onyx but I'll get over it. I have almost 3600 miles on my car.

Quick Reply: Paint Issues "Pebble Finish" Blue Onyx Paint Defect??