IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why is it so hard to buy a Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-06, 05:09 PM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is it so hard to buy a Lexus?

I've been getting the runaround from Lexus dealers for weeks. Most dealers told me it's hard to get what I want and I have to special order it. I spoke to my local dealer last week and he promised to call me ASAP on what the cost would be for the following:

'07 IS250RWD
Obsidian with black interior
Premium package, nav, park assist, HIDs and headlamp washers.

He calls me today and tries every way to upsell me on a 350 or a 250AWD. I told him repeatedly that I have specifics and I'm not changing. Then he huffs and puffs and tells me that he can special order what I want, but he doubts Lexus will honor the request. The end of the conversation had him telling me he highly doubts Lexus will even make the car for me and I should consider the 250AWD or 350. I told him I'll think about it and get back to him.

Why is it so hard to buy a car with the options listed right in the brochure? I've spent three weeks contacting several dealers in different states and I constantly get the runaround.
Old 09-11-06, 05:14 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Go to the Lexus website, pick "build your Lexus", and then enter your zip code.

The web site will show you the options and option packages that are available in dealer allocations in your area.

If it isn't shown in the "build it" section for your IS, you'll have to do a special order to get it.
Old 09-11-06, 05:24 PM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
Go to the Lexus website, pick "build your Lexus", and then enter your zip code.

The web site will show you the options and option packages that are available in dealer allocations in your area.

If it isn't shown in the "build it" section for your IS, you'll have to do a special order to get it.
I have done that many times. The site has the premium package and nav as options for my zip. I am in the Northeast region. The dealers keep telling me Lexus doesn't make a 250RWD for the NE region. They then try to talk me out of special ordering it and to buy the 250AWD or 350.
Old 09-11-06, 05:50 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus doesn't have a very easy special order program. From what I know about it they can merely preference a car, so that when one is built it comes for you, but they can't order a car directly for you. They may not want to do this because when they preference a car for you, it takes one away from their allotment, so they have one less car to sell of the lot.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on any of this...
Old 09-11-06, 06:00 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

salesmen want to sell you whats on the lot, period
Old 09-11-06, 06:01 PM
bgarre
Driver

Try building one in AZ at 85234. Az may have what you want. It could be a nice road trip or have it shipped by train..... I was just at my local Lexus and they have a few RW 250's in stock.
Old 09-11-06, 06:32 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IRCRomeo
Why is it so hard to buy a car with the options listed right in the brochure? I've spent three weeks contacting several dealers in different states and I constantly get the runaround.
One of the most difficult things to get over are regional allocations (desired combinations that are predetermined prior to shipping). Then you have to deal with what the dealer allocates from the region (dealer chooses how many of which models and what colors/options to provide his customers, based on their history and preferences). If the car you want is still not in this list, then you have to do a Special Order, and most salesmen are unaware of this privilage. In fact, some dealerships are unaware of this privilage.

When it comes to business, you try to do something easy for the most profit. Most salesmen won't spend too much time and hassle with a Special Order because, in the end, it's not worth it to them. It may be worth it to you, but it may not be worth it to them...

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 09-11-06 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-11-06, 06:39 PM
monz00n
Driver School Candidate

have you tried www.carsdirect.com?
Old 09-11-06, 06:44 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Buy a one way ticket to Atlanta and drive your new baby back. I have been on 3 different lots several times over the past many months. PLENTY of 250RWD in all configs to choose from. You will probably get a better deal as the south only gets RWD in the 250 and you will not have to wait!
Old 09-11-06, 06:47 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
If the car you want is still not in this list, then you have to do a Special Order, and most salesmen are unaware of this privilage. In fact, some dealerships are unaware of this privilage.
Privilage? Odd choice of words. I would say more like ability. As most every other car manufacturer has this ability.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Most salesmen won't spend too much time and hassle with a Special Order because, in the end, it's not worth it to them. It may be worth it to you, but it may not be worth it to them...
Exactly!
Old 09-11-06, 07:06 PM
9520G
Lead Lap

I got mine in jersey, even though they had none in jersey they got my rwd from maryland within a week!
Old 09-11-06, 08:31 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krazykanuk
Lexus doesn't have a very easy special order program. From what I know about it they can merely preference a car, so that when one is built it comes for you, but they can't order a car directly for you. They may not want to do this because when they preference a car for you, it takes one away from their allotment, so they have one less car to sell of the lot.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on any of this...
you may custom order one to your liking if it is not built. most dealers require some kind of deposit to order it. it takes about 3-4 months to get it.

the process you are referring to is related to their allocation. usually the know several weeks in advance what cars they are getting. if you happen to want one of those and it's in the process of being built or shipped, they will tag it for you so it cannot be sold by another salesman. this also requires some kind of deposit, takes up to 4 weeks depending on where it is in the process.

the "build your lexus" tool on lexus.com actually searches built lexuses in your region. if it comes up, it is out there somewhere, although the website doesn't specify color combos or what dealer has it. so you will have to rely on your own dealer to do the search and get you the info. some don't like to do this b/c it obviously results in more work and sometims requires they trade something with the other dealer, which may not be possible if the other dealer wants that car for themselves...
Old 09-11-06, 09:00 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexuslover
the process you are referring to is related to their allocation.
Ok. I wasn't sure if Lexus even let you get one that was truly custom, as must people don't want to wait 4 months or their dealers don't even go through with this option.

If you ask me BMW has a much more streamlined custom order program.
Old 09-11-06, 10:58 PM
kilo6_one
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
salesmen want to sell you whats on the lot, period

^^^^^^^^^^ 100% right, they want the immediate sale. They dont care what you want, need or are willing to wait for; they want to sell you something that is instock, that has overinflated option packages which will maximize there profit margin.
Old 09-11-06, 11:06 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

.. it's so you can feel special after purchasing one?

Quick Reply: Why is it so hard to buy a Lexus?