IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

dealership service package

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-06, 10:30 AM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Most of the time you get what you pay for....

Originally Posted by Technique
Everything at the dealership is a ripoff... If they weren't making a profit off you, they wouldn't sell it... Don't think they are going to give you a "package" that will save you money... Maybe, if you were to go to the dealership for EVERY thing for your car, you might save a LITTLE, but who would waste their money going to the Lexus dealership for every 5k oil change?

I mean 'like' you think they made a profit when they, like, sold you the car? Of course they made a profit.......it's a business!!! Sure, have your car fixed by "Peppy" down the block or you can strip the oil pan bolt yourself. I'm sure 'Akbar' knows all the electronics and specs to fix your car........hey, you might even save 50 bucks in the process. Lexus filters! Hey, big ripoff........use the the 'super race' guaranteed to add 10HP model) and it's only 'half' what Lexus charges.........I mean, like, what could go wrong? You bought (or your parents) an expensive car and you/they paid the toll. The best stuff always cost more.......get use to it....Lacoste is more than the target brand.....but hey, like, they look the same.

Yes, I bought the tire package and I feel I could make out or at least break even. I don't want to worry about it and since tires, like everything else tend go up in price, I'm locked in and my contract specifies a 'super premium' tire and lists the Bridgestone RE050 as my starting point. With a tire rating of only 140 there not going to last long the way I drive...
Old 09-13-06, 10:31 AM
vertcobra9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i read everything too... it just sounded really good at the time...i deffinated wanted the clear bra... so i got that... that paint proctectant stuff where they say you never have to wax the car ever... i almost passed on it but they gave it to me for like 100 bux... then the tire and wheel thing which was 400 bux... the only thing i wish i hadn't gotten now is the service stuff for 800... what was i thinking lol
Old 09-13-06, 10:59 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Everything at the dealership is a ripoff... If they weren't making a profit off you, they wouldn't sell it... Don't think they are going to give you a "package" that will save you money... Maybe, if you were to go to the dealership for EVERY thing for your car, you might save a LITTLE, but who would waste their money going to the lexus dealership for every 5k oil change?
Let me clarify here since it might not be clear what I'm saying... Of course, they want to make a profit, BUT, you should only buy what you HAVE to from the dealership, namely, the car. ANYTHING else, such as "packages" or "add-ons" are a rip-off... Buy from someone else trustworthy, such as the sponsors of this forum, and others... Don't think your local dealer will be doing you any favors...

If I could buy a car directly from the manufacturer and have it shipped to my door I would, I hate dealerships, they add ZERO value... Purely a middleman... In fact, not only do they not add value, most of the time they spread misinformation and straight up lies...
Old 09-13-06, 11:00 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
The problem is, the vast majority of buyers don't research things before they go in, or hang out on message boards like this. And they also go into the dealership scared like a little child. They accept whatever price is shoved in front of their faces (usually nothing more than a monthly payment...) and they get taken to the cleaners.
So true. But i think as time goes on and more and more people are internet savvy (especially the "myspace" age of people in another 5-10 years when they have $$ to purchase a car) and realize the benefits to them, i think things will begin to change. It'll be slow, but it's already begun.
Old 09-13-06, 11:59 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

So I don't know anything about the tire warranty, I didn't get it.

But I did purchase the service warranty. And I'm happy I did. Saved me a few bucks because I WILL go the dealership for service and maintance; not because of the service contract but because I would have anyway.
Old 09-13-06, 12:01 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmusic
The saleman friend of mine was trained to try to keep the actual price the customer is paying out of the deal. He was told to keep saying "What amount of monthly payment are you comfortable with?" or "You can have this car for "X" dollars per month. Can you afford that?" He said he has financed cars for up to 108 months (9 years) to fit the customer's monthly payment. He was trained not let the customer realise how many months they were financing or the exact final price of the new car or trade-in until the papers were ready to sign. Then the customer was more likely not to back out of a deal if there were papers infront of them and them driving off in a new car was only moments away.
And if nobody is familiar with what we're talking about, just watch "Ding-l-ling of Cars" on AE sometime ( http://www.aetv.com/kingofcars/ ). This is how they work every deal. I just cringe to watch these people being screwed like a pooch every...time...
Old 09-13-06, 12:07 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
So I don't know anything about the tire warranty, I didn't get it.

But I did purchase the service warranty. And I'm happy I did. Saved me a few bucks because I WILL go the dealership for service and maintance; not because of the service contract but because I would have anyway.
Also, please tell us the details of the service contract. (e.g. - It covers 10 oil changes, which normally cost $80 each, but the contract costs $700, so you save $10 per oil change)
Old 09-13-06, 01:13 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtidan
Yes, I bought the tire package and I feel I could make out or at least break even. I don't want to worry about it and since tires, like everything else tend go up in price, I'm locked in and my contract specifies a 'super premium' tire and lists the Bridgestone RE050 as my starting point. With a tire rating of only 140 there not going to last long the way I drive...
Where in CA are you, SoCal or NorCal ? Which dealer did you buy from ? I've never had the tire pkg offered to me, altho I did get the spiel on Lojack, Protection pkgs, Maint pkg and the 'proprietary' (Dealer's not Lexus) extended warranty . . .
Old 09-13-06, 06:09 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Also, please tell us the details of the service contract. (e.g. - It covers 10 oil changes, which normally cost $80 each, but the contract costs $700, so you save $10 per oil change)
I can't find any of the details so I will give you an example of how it went, all hypothetical:

Mileage, Cost
5k, $0
10k, $50
15K, $75
20k, $50
25k, $100
30k, $50
35k, $75
40k, $200
45k, $300

These are the everyday price for each of the services (all fake numbers of course).

Total=$900
Discount 20%
Your total = $720

So I can pay $720 today or I can pay a total of $900 by the time the 45k mileage rolled around.

I chose the former.
Old 09-13-06, 06:37 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by kensteele
I can't find any of the details so I will give you an example of how it went, all hypothetical:

Mileage, Cost
5k, $0
10k, $50
15K, $75
20k, $50
25k, $100
30k, $50
35k, $75
40k, $200
45k, $300

These are the everyday price for each of the services (all fake numbers of course).

Total=$900
Discount 20%
Your total = $720

So I can pay $720 today or I can pay a total of $900 by the time the 45k mileage rolled around.

I chose the former.
Just be aware that the dealer will try to upsell you on each service...you bought the "minimum" maintenance. Also, did you finance the prepaid maintenance? If you did, the dealer absolutely loves you for paying interest on future oil changes.
Old 09-13-06, 07:02 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

^^^my goal is to take my car in for service and then walk out without paying for anything. if i can accomplish that.....

yes i did add in this maintenance package into the loan that i rec'd in nov. last month i paid off that loan in full (it was always my plan to payoff early). so yes i paid 10 months of interest or a few dollars more.

as far as i am concerned, i am now driving around a 2is with no car loan payments and no maintenance payments until 50k miles.
Old 09-13-06, 07:15 PM
tx_is300
Pole Position

i am in houston and when i bought my IS350, they threw in free rim/tire warranty and dent repair. think this was worth bout $800-$1000.