IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

dealership service package

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-06, 07:34 AM
vertcobra9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dealership service package

did any of you guys get the dealership service package it was like 895$ it covers all of your 5000 mile services and half off of the 15000 mile inspections or something like that. Also is the tire package a rip off that covers flats and bent rims?
Old 09-13-06, 07:40 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vertcobra9
did any of you guys get the dealership service package it was like 895$ it covers all of your 5000 mile services and half off of the 15000 mile inspections or something like that. Also is the tire package a rip off that covers flats and bent rims?
Everything at the dealership is a ripoff... If they weren't making a profit off you, they wouldn't sell it... Don't think they are going to give you a "package" that will save you money... Maybe, if you were to go to the dealership for EVERY thing for your car, you might save a LITTLE, but who would waste their money going to the lexus dealership for every 5k oil change?
Old 09-13-06, 07:43 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't buy it. Then again, I change my own oil, and I rarely waste my time or money on the intermediate (15K, 30K) inspections. They're usually a big waste of money early on.

But I did buy the tire/wheel protection package, and only because there is so much road debris on FL roadways. I've used it 3 times now since March. The only problem with that warranty, is that the dealership will rape you whenever they can. I had a large gouge in the sidewall of one tire, and a rather large adjustment "key" for a sprinkler system puncturing the tire through the entire tread, and both times the dealer flat-out refused to replace the tire. Both times, I took it to Goodyear center first to get their opinion, and both times they said "No way can that tire be fixed. No way. And it's not safe to drive on it like that." So, buy at your own risk.
Old 09-13-06, 08:03 AM
vertcobra9
Driver

well i got all that stuff and i already signed papers is it too late to go back and change?
Old 09-13-06, 08:04 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
I didn't buy it. Then again, I change my own oil, and I rarely waste my time or money on the intermediate (15K, 30K) inspections. They're usually a big waste of money early on.
I totally agree, especially with the 15k/30k inspections... I mean, it's a brand new car!!! What is there to inspect??? Silly...

Anyway, whenever you get your oil changed, especially at the dealer, they take a look under the car anyway, a quick visual inspect... Which is all they really do at the 15k/30k "checkups"... Except it's free with the oil change, hehe...
Old 09-13-06, 08:32 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have already signed the papers, then you and the dealership are legally bound to them, unless you can prove that they were fauding you in some way. If they explained the fee, then they are not responsible for it.

I have several friends that were car salemen at one time in their careers. One of them told me the "dealer prep" package at his dealership was just a check of the oil level and a wash, for $899. His sales manager added it on to every vehicle's sticker price and probably 95% of his customers never questioned it.
Old 09-13-06, 09:27 AM
vertcobra9
Driver

but in massachusetts you are entitled to a 3 day right to recision ... on any contract... so i might just go back and change that stuff
Old 09-13-06, 09:35 AM
likwid
Driver School Candidate

You should be able to cancel them because they are optional contracts. I bought the lifetime tires and wheel warranty and was able to cancel it 2 weeks later. You'll probably get a pro-rated amount back, but you should get most of it back.
Old 09-13-06, 09:46 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cmusic
I have several friends that were car salemen at one time in their careers. One of them told me the "dealer prep" package at his dealership was just a check of the oil level and a wash, for $899. His sales manager added it on to every vehicle's sticker price and probably 95% of his customers never questioned it.
That's plain BS. I'm surprised buyers never caught that. With the internet & public forums like CL, dealers won't be able to get away with crap like this. I'd question any add'l fees that were over $50. Purchasing nowadays, you will find that everything is negotiable . . .
Old 09-13-06, 09:52 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socalJD
That's plain BS. I'm surprised buyers never caught that. With the internet & public forums like CL, dealers won't be able to get away with crap like this. I'd question any add'l fees that were over $50. Purchasing nowadays, you will find that everything is negotiable . . .
The problem is, the vast majority of buyers don't research things before they go in, or hang out on message boards like this. And they also go into the dealership scared like a little child. They accept whatever price is shoved in front of their faces (usually nothing more than a monthly payment...) and they get taken to the cleaners.
Old 09-13-06, 10:03 AM
Kepeli
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Technique
Everything at the dealership is a ripoff... If they weren't making a profit off you, they wouldn't sell it... Don't think they are going to give you a "package" that will save you money... Maybe, if you were to go to the dealership for EVERY thing for your car, you might save a LITTLE, but who would waste their money going to the lexus dealership for every 5k oil change?
Isn't the goal of every business to make a profit?

I wouldn't buy it but I do go to Lexus for every service no matter what. Even with cars I owned in the past, I have always used the dealer for service. It is also a good negotiating tool if I buy another Lexus.
Old 09-13-06, 10:05 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
The problem is, the vast majority of buyers don't research things before they go in, or hang out on message boards like this. And they also go into the dealership scared like a little child. They accept whatever price is shoved in front of their faces (usually nothing more than a monthly payment...) and they get taken to the cleaners.
sad but true...
Old 09-13-06, 10:16 AM
Kepeli
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cmusic
I worked for a dealer and we had a dealer added package on every car. If I recall right it had door edge guards, pin stripes and some sort of paint protectant for like $1,000. We never put any of those items on the car unless the people came back saying they never got them but out of every 100 cars that went out maybe 2 people would come back saying they never got those items. We even used it as a bargaining tool saying we would give them to them free and take $1,000 off on the car and still never install them and people still never came back but they always thought they were getting a good deal. You would be surprised how many people are clueless. They are sooooo nervous about buying a car they leave a dealership and forget half the crap you tell them.
Old 09-13-06, 10:20 AM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

Slight hijack...
I was at Discount Tire the other day looking at wheels and they offered to sell me their road hazard warranty on my factory Bridgestones, for something like $34/ea. front, $40/ea. rear. I bet they can only offer this on newer, low mileage tires though. Mine have less than 1k on them still. Might be worth a look if you live in an area with crappy roads or have bad luck with tires in general.
Old 09-13-06, 10:23 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
They accept whatever price is shoved in front of their faces (usually nothing more than a monthly payment...) and they get taken to the cleaners.
The saleman friend of mine was trained to try to keep the actual price the customer is paying out of the deal. He was told to keep saying "What amount of monthly payment are you comfortable with?" or "You can have this car for "X" dollars per month. Can you afford that?" He said he has financed cars for up to 108 months (9 years) to fit the customer's monthly payment. He was trained not let the customer realise how many months they were financing or the exact final price of the new car or trade-in until the papers were ready to sign. Then the customer was more likely not to back out of a deal if there were papers infront of them and them driving off in a new car was only moments away.

I do have to say that my Lexus saleman and sales manager explained everything about my deal before any papers were drafted up. Then as I signed the papers the sales manager read each line of each paper to me to make sure I knew what I was signing beforehand. This was Lexus of Lexington, KY.

Quick Reply: dealership service package