IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Punctured Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 03:29 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Sue over this?!? There was no negligence or defect on Lexus' part. Anything can be punctured. Next you'll be suing over a flat tire. Get real!
Ya sure... I think a few hundred people sued firestone over the exploding tires on Ford Explorers... I think they even sued Ford as well...

If my fuel tank ruptured from some minor road debris that I couldn't even feel, then I would demand a new fuel tank or sue... Or maybe both... Who knows... Sounds like a nightmare of a safety hazard... I really hope this was an isolated incident... Otherwise we'll have a recall on our hands...
Old 09-14-06, 03:32 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

they sued because the tires were proven to be defective and the explorers were proven to be defective, I dont see how your gas tank is defective, its not suppose to be indestructable, i can take a hammer and punch a hole in it if i wanted. If you are suing anyone you should sue the city for road debris
Old 09-14-06, 03:35 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
Ya sure... I think a few hundred people sued firestone over the exploding tires on Ford Explorers... I think they even sued Ford as well...

If my fuel tank ruptured from some minor road debris that I couldn't even feel, then I would demand a new fuel tank or sue... Or maybe both... Who knows... Sounds like a nightmare of a safety hazard... I really hope this was an isolated incident... Otherwise we'll have a recall on our hands...
You just proved my point. Either that or you are gullible. It's an isolated incident, with unsubstantiated circumstances. For all we know the guy was drunk, joy riding and hit something @ 11:30 at night. Tanks just don't spring a 1/2" leak without some noise or impact.
Old 09-14-06, 03:42 PM
monz00n
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can sue anyone here in america. for anything. anyone remember mcdonald's hot coffee case a few years back?
anyway, i'd like to see a pic of that hole. strange indeed.
Old 09-14-06, 03:57 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would talk to the service manager and ask him/her to contact Lexus at a higher level and try to get this repair authorized under your warranty. I had a similar indicident happen (but not with my gas tank) on my 2000 Honda Accord and the service advisor told me the same thing. That I would have to pay for the part which was $800 (my electric seat broke) and I went to the service manager who contacted Honda and Honda ended up picking up the entire cost and labor to fix the seat. So try this route and see what happens. Good luck and let us know the end result.
Old 09-14-06, 04:03 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

maybe someone shot it?
Old 09-14-06, 04:14 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need a pic of this... to understand. Is the hole clean cut? Does it looked drilled? Or does it look like a large rock caused the hole?
Old 09-14-06, 04:17 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Whats all this talk about sueing? yes it was scary, yes it was a hassle, and yes I do not have my car. But sueing over something like this is ridiculous. Even my sister, who happens to be a lawyer was saying, you should sue them. whats wrong with the world today. And in response to Timbo IS, I definitely wasn't joy riding, I was dropping some friends off...no one, I mean NO ONE in the car felt or heard anything, but we did get a big wiff of 93 octane.
Old 09-14-06, 04:22 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

I talked to the service director today, he said he has seen rare cases just as this one, usually caused by improper placement of the stands on lifts when rotating tires etc. He asked me if I had swapped the tires out recently and stuff, I said hell no this car is less than 2 months old, why would I do that? So now my insurance company is getting involved (state farm is the shi*!). Hopefully everything works itself out and I will be reunited with baby.
Old 09-14-06, 06:38 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
I talked to the service director today, he said he has seen rare cases just as this one, usually caused by improper placement of the stands on lifts when rotating tires etc. He asked me if I had swapped the tires out recently and stuff, I said hell no this car is less than 2 months old, why would I do that? So now my insurance company is getting involved (state farm is the shi*!). Hopefully everything works itself out and I will be reunited with baby.
This sounds like a comprehensive claim that might be covered by your insurance policy, similar to a rock hitting your windshield. Lexus would not cover a cracked windshield caused by a flying rock--why should they cover a punctured gas tank, unless it was caused by negligence at the dealership (your example of being on the lift to change tires) or if there truly was a manufacturing defect such as a seam that separates.

Good luck, but sounds like your best bet is to read your insurance policy closely and talk to your agent/claims adjuster.

Based on some of the posts, now I know why we have so many frivolous lawsuits.
Old 09-14-06, 07:13 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by monz00n
drilling=friction. friction=heat. heat+gas=kaboom!
Your equation was almost right... Spark (ignition)+gas=kaboom. If heat+gas=kaboom, then gas tanks across the world would spontaneously explode every summer...

Javier
Old 09-14-06, 08:22 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
This sounds like a comprehensive claim that might be covered by your insurance policy, similar to a rock hitting your windshield. Lexus would not cover a cracked windshield caused by a flying rock--why should they cover a punctured gas tank, unless it was caused by negligence at the dealership (your example of being on the lift to change tires) or if there truly was a manufacturing defect such as a seam that separates.

Good luck, but sounds like your best bet is to read your insurance policy closely and talk to your agent/claims adjuster.

Based on some of the posts, now I know why we have so many frivolous lawsuits.
We all know that windshields are exposed and get hit by rocks and other flying debris. As a result, they are shatterproof for your safety. That's ok, we can live with that. What we can't live with is coming out in the morning and finding your windshield completely shattered from overnight. That's a defective glass.

Gas tanks are not supposed to be puntured and leak gas from road debris. If someone told you "good luck on your cross country drive and be careful because if you run over something in the road, it could puncture your gas tank and your car will catch on fire" would you drive on that trip? Probably not. I think the expectation is that your car's gas tank will withstand all sorts of road debris and even minor accidents and I think car manufacturers have taken great pains to ensure this. Even so, freak accidents do happen and when they do, the circumstances should be considered. The OP swears he heard nothing and gas tanks don't just sprang a leak. Would be great to see a pic.
Old 09-14-06, 08:27 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dstopsie
I would talk to the service manager and ask him/her to contact Lexus at a higher level and try to get this repair authorized under your warranty. I had a similar indicident happen (but not with my gas tank) on my 2000 Honda Accord and the service advisor told me the same thing. That I would have to pay for the part which was $800 (my electric seat broke) and I went to the service manager who contacted Honda and Honda ended up picking up the entire cost and labor to fix the seat. So try this route and see what happens. Good luck and let us know the end result.
I agree. Give a shot.
A friend of mine complained directly to Lexus USA about a dealership over something, and it worked. The dealership came back to him and kissed his foot afterward.
Old 09-14-06, 08:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,423 Posts

A little known fact - it is impossible to light liquid gasoline. If you don't have vapors, all the heat in the world won't light it until you do have vapors.

That's why fuel/air bombs use two explosions - one to disperse the fuel and form a vapor cloud, and a second incendiary charge to light it off.
Old 09-14-06, 09:34 PM
minger1179
Driver School Candidate

Hey Nova,

let me know what goes on with your car. I would like to know and maybe we can meet up and get some VA peeps together to hang out and talk cars. I bought my car at Lindsay, did you?

Ming.

Quick Reply: Punctured Gas Tank