IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Punctured Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 10:45 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
A little known fact - it is impossible to light liquid gasoline. If you don't have vapors, all the heat in the world won't light it until you do have vapors.
True but unfortunately gasoline vaporizes so easily, there's almost no such thing as gasoline (outside a vaccum) without vapors. Also those vapors have to have the right mixture with air to ignite or explode.
Old 09-14-06, 11:44 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen road debris cause damage to gas tanks. I ran over a piece of metal once in a Nissan Maxima and it dented the resonator as well as dented and put a huge gash in the gas tank. Didn't puncture it, but came pretty close. I know a guy who ran over a steel rod and his gas tank got torn open like a can of sardines... It happens.
Old 09-15-06, 06:08 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Unhappy

Originally Posted by minger1179
Hey Nova,

let me know what goes on with your car. I would like to know and maybe we can meet up and get some VA peeps together to hang out and talk cars. I bought my car at Lindsay, did you?

Ming.
Yes I did ming, I'm from Arlington, VA. Hopefully I get my crystal white baby back soon.
Old 09-15-06, 06:32 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
We all know that windshields are exposed and get hit by rocks and other flying debris. As a result, they are shatterproof for your safety. That's ok, we can live with that. What we can't live with is coming out in the morning and finding your windshield completely shattered from overnight. That's a defective glass.

Gas tanks are not supposed to be puntured and leak gas from road debris. If someone told you "good luck on your cross country drive and be careful because if you run over something in the road, it could puncture your gas tank and your car will catch on fire" would you drive on that trip? Probably not. I think the expectation is that your car's gas tank will withstand all sorts of road debris and even minor accidents and I think car manufacturers have taken great pains to ensure this. Even so, freak accidents do happen and when they do, the circumstances should be considered. The OP swears he heard nothing and gas tanks don't just sprang a leak. Would be great to see a pic.
I totally agree. A gas tank should not just puncture like that unless you hit some SERIOUS debris. The OP says he neither heard or felt ANYTHING. That tells me it was most likely a minor impact and the gas tank should not have gashed open and started spilling hi-test everywhere! Totally unacceptable.
Old 09-15-06, 06:38 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

It was probably road debris. The same thing happened to me several years ago. I was driving my then-new `84 Audi 5000s on I-270 in Maryland and rolled over a tire chunk that another car threw at me - it acted like an electric can-opener under my car and cut through everything, including my gas tank. Check your comprehensive coverage on your insurance policy; it should cover you for this experience.

Good luck! Enjoy driving your Buick!!!
Old 09-15-06, 11:38 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

ugh...I still can not believe they gave me a buick lucerne as a loaner car...I feel like a 70 year old WWII vet with those old people stunner shades (really big sun glasses that old people wear)
Old 09-15-06, 11:51 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

I have not seen mention of this but what of the possibility of vandalism?
Old 09-15-06, 11:55 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

the thought came across my mind...but who in their right mind would try to puncture a gas tank?? A) there is a good chance you could blow something up
B)Would'nt it be easier to key the car, smash a window, slash a tire.
Puncturing the gas tank is too deliberate and too methodical, besides I was parked in a well lit and very busy street in Arlington. But hey, you never know!!!
Old 09-15-06, 12:15 PM
anwar1337
Driver

Hey, if you own a lexus then you probably own a digital camera. If you could, please take a picture of the bottom of your car showing the damage done so we can analyze the situation further. Thanks ! And if you dont then nevermind but describe the hole, like what angle it seems the hole was created from and if any sides of the hole pertrude in different ways of any sort. Thanks
Old 09-15-06, 12:20 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
ugh...I still can not believe they gave me a buick lucerne as a loaner car...I feel like a 70 year old WWII vet with those old people stunner shades (really big sun glasses that old people wear)
Hey, the Buick would be an ideal loaner for us older folks. It comes with:
• A cane holder
• Hearing aid plug-in
• Waterproof seats
• False teeth holder
• 35 mph speed limiter
• Lawrence Welk CD pre-loaded

BTW, I'll be 70 in 3 months.
Old 09-15-06, 12:33 PM
The Chad
Driver

Originally Posted by Magellan
Hey, the Buick would be an ideal loaner for us older folks. It comes with:
• A cane holder
• Hearing aid plug-in
• Waterproof seats
• False teeth holder
• 35 mph speed limiter
• Lawrence Welk CD pre-loaded

BTW, I'll be 70 in 3 months.
Try a 25mph speed limiter! lol I'm just playing.

Let's try not to steretype every single old person, especially ones that post on this board. If you own an IS, no matter what age, you don't fit the "stereotype".
Old 09-15-06, 12:41 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chad
Try a 25mph speed limiter! lol I'm just playing.

Let's try not to steretype every single old person, especially ones that post on this board. If you own an IS, no matter what age, you don't fit the "stereotype".
We stereotype EVERYBODY... Deal with it...
Old 09-15-06, 01:03 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

well I really can't take pictures if it because its at the dealership...The puncture hole itself is about the size of a quarter and it's on the side wall of the gas tank. Around the puncture is a dent about the size of a grape fruit...there are some scratches as well. Clearly something struck the gas tank...but it is unusual for an object to strike the gas take from the side. I know my state farm insurance is going to take some pictures of it soon..I will post them if they give me some copies.
Old 09-15-06, 01:04 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

stereotyping is ok...as long as youre joking.
Old 09-15-06, 01:17 PM
acsan
Driver

Hey, isn't the Lucerne Tiger Woods' car?

Quick Reply: Punctured Gas Tank