IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Punctured Gas Tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 09:40 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Punctured Gas Tank

Soo get this...last night at about 11:30 pm, I'm driving around town (arlington, va) dropping some friends off...just as we get to our destination, we pick up the scent of gasoline. I automatically assume that its the nearby gas station or whatever. I come to a stop light and then drive off, my rear tires start slipping and the smell of gasoline is stronger than ever b4. I look out the rear view mirror and see a huge puddle of liquid trailing my car, then I look out the side of my car and see gasoline spewing from the left side. I don't recall hitting anything, nor do any of my friends. We pull over to inspect the gas tank and find a gaping hole the size of a quarter. And me being the lucky guy that I am, happened to pull over right next to a drainage system. So we had to call the fire dept. hazmat and lexus 24 hour road side assistance (which is teh suck). Anyway I go to lindsay lexus this morning only to find out this gas tank incident is not covered under warranty...so I have to shell out 1300 bucks for a brand new tank. Has anyone ever heard of such a crazy story? or anything like this happening to anyone? im pissed.
Old 09-14-06, 09:48 AM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
Soo get this...last night at about 11:30 pm, I'm driving around town (arlington, va) dropping some friends off...just as we get to our destination, we pick up the scent of gasoline. I automatically assume that its the nearby gas station or whatever. I come to a stop light and then drive off, my rear tires start slipping and the smell of gasoline is stronger than ever b4. I look out the rear view mirror and see a huge puddle of liquid trailing my car, then I look out the side of my car and see gasoline spewing from the left side. I don't recall hitting anything, nor do any of my friends. We pull over to inspect the gas tank and find a gaping hole the size of a quarter. And me being the lucky guy that I am, happened to pull over right next to a drainage system. So we had to call the fire dept. hazmat and lexus 24 hour road side assistance (which is teh suck). Anyway I go to lindsay lexus this morning only to find out this gas tank incident is not covered under warranty...so I have to shell out 1300 bucks for a brand new tank. Has anyone ever heard of such a crazy story? or anything like this happening to anyone? im pissed.
I feel your pain (as Bill would say) but why would Lexus cover it? A cracked seam perhaps, but a hole the size of a quarter? Nope, looks like an 'act of god' as they say. This is not to say I wouldn't be upset but 'sh.t happens'.
Old 09-14-06, 09:51 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow...i dunno what to say my friend, but that really sucks. hopefully everything turns out fine and you find out what happened. maybe the thing that punctured your tank is inside the tank, i doubt it though.
Old 09-14-06, 10:01 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Plug up the hole with some JBWELD. That stuff fixes everything.
Old 09-14-06, 10:07 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude, be glad your *** didn't blow up!!

Anyway, Arlington, there's lots of construction on the roads, especially with all the condos being built... You probably got unlucky and a piece of sharp metal debris (like shrapnel) or something kicked up from your tires and ripped the tank... Improbable, but what other explanation is there?

you may want to consider repairing it instead of buying a new one for $1300... Also, your insurance SHOULD cover that under your comprehensive deductible since it's "road hazzard"... You should always have your comprehensive deductible as LOW as possible since it's only a few dollars a year difference (my deductible is $250 for comprehensive)...
Old 09-14-06, 10:09 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

thanks guys...I gotta go back to the dealership today and talk to james woods....can you believe they gave me a cotdamn buick as a loaner car???
Old 09-14-06, 10:10 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

im guessing road debris caused it, did you remember running over anything
Old 09-14-06, 10:28 AM
IRCRomeo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NovaIS350
thanks guys...I gotta go back to the dealership today and talk to james woods....can you believe they gave me a cotdamn buick as a loaner car???
I thought a Lexus is required as a loaner...
Old 09-14-06, 10:29 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

yeah well apparently they didnt have enough lexus loaners...so I had to get a buick from enterprise
Old 09-14-06, 10:32 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

nah I dont...there is a lot of construction going on..so it could have been anything. Hey at least I was with two really sexxy..and very nice girls who were willing to console me...rub my back and tell me everything was going to be ok... thank god for women.
Old 09-14-06, 10:32 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

You are very lucky some didn't drip on your exhaust piping and ignite.
***********BOOM**************
Old 09-14-06, 10:36 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Solara (grins and throws up middle finger jokingly**)<--sarcasm. You don't think any of that crossed my mind when I saw a stream of gasoline shooting out of my car? the girls were flipping out man!! I was flippping out too...someone must have smacked my sally *** and brought me back to reality,.
Old 09-14-06, 10:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

to guarantee yourself a loaner you have to schedule at least 5 days ahead, in this case he didnt have that luxury of time with a fast leaking fuel tank and all
Old 09-14-06, 10:38 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

yeah thats what the lady at the front desk told me...
Old 09-14-06, 10:42 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok - does this worry anyone else as much as it does me??

road debris puncturing a gas tank?????

uhhhhhhh...

I'd be down there bolting on some sheets of steel or aluminum from Home Depot!!

Quick Reply: Punctured Gas Tank