IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Shifting auto tranny from "D" to "N" at stop lights for fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 03:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,042 Likes on 2,448 Posts

xtraboost - No. If you are making comments like that, you couldn't have read the thread.

I bought a $43k vehicle in '94 that got 18 mpg around town and I've never complained about it. My chief complaint is I absolutely cannot get the mileage on the Mulroney sticker no matter how hard I try. I don't care about the absolute mileage, and I really don't care about the cost of fuel. I do care that an engine touted as being best in class doesn't produce best in class efficiency when everything about it screams it should.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 09-15-06 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-15-06, 03:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Don't assume it. Realize it.

It's throttle control. If you use a manual tranny, you press the clutch to minimize fuel being used, and RPM goes to "zero" (not really all the way, but enough to not kill the engine). The less RPM, the less gas used. Neutral in idle has higher RPM than Drive at a stop.

According to my experience, you use MORE gas in neutral than drive at a stop.
You're failing to account for load. RPM is only one parameter for fuel consumption. Load is the second, and there is significantly greater load in D than there is in N. It's probably pretty close to a wash.
Old 09-15-06, 04:24 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

i've always coasted to a stop in neutral since i thought i'd be saving gas. I guess not. So I would actually save more gas if i coast to a stop while in drive ? interesting.
Old 09-15-06, 04:28 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You're failing to account for load. RPM is only one parameter for fuel consumption. Load is the second, and there is significantly greater load in D than there is in N. It's probably pretty close to a wash.
True. But is the difference significant or insignificant?

That is the true problem with this thread.

There is a difference between N and D. Is it a significant difference? Absolutely not!
Old 09-15-06, 04:33 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe there is a 5 page thread on this subject.

*Chris was here*
Old 09-15-06, 06:27 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Don't assume it. Realize it.

It's throttle control. If you use a manual tranny, you press the clutch to minimize fuel being used, and RPM goes to "zero" (not really all the way, but enough to not kill the engine). The less RPM, the less gas used. Neutral in idle has higher RPM than Drive at a stop.

According to my experience, you use MORE gas in neutral than drive at a stop.
I checked the difference in idle RPM in D and N at several stop lights today, and it is less than 75 RPMs in my car. If you are seeing a 200 RPM difference, I would suspect a faulty idle control valve. Either way, I still think the load is way more significant than the RPM, and I've seen the difference on the guage at stop lights.

I don't understand why this thread has progressed the way it has. I'm surprised that there have been so many posts about my reasons for caring, and so little about the possible harm that could come from switching to N at stop lights. That said, I'm at 24.3 MPG right now after using 2/3 of a tank of all city driving.
Old 09-15-06, 08:55 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gernby
.... and so little about the possible harm that could come from switching to N at stop lights.
Because anyone knows that if they comment on that aspect, they're just pulling it out of their ***, I mean who could possibly know the answer to that question?
Old 09-15-06, 09:22 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kensteele
Because anyone knows that if they comment on that aspect, they're just pulling it out of their ***, I mean who could possibly know the answer to that question?
I guess anyone with automatic transmission design and / or repair experience, or anyone who regularly uses N at stop lights without ill effects would be qualified to answer the question.
Old 09-17-06, 03:57 AM
AREITU
Driver School Candidate

I skipped from page 1 to page 5. I don't know if anyone mentioned this in pages 2-4 but light throttle still cycles the injectors quite a bit so if you drive around light throttle all the time, you're getting nowhere fast but basically using the same amount of fuel as if you applied more throttle. Aside from anticipating stops, letting off the gas very early (like when you see brake lights, or half a blcok before a light) and coasting a lot, that sort of thing, the best thing to do is accelerate briskly to a cruising speed and stay at that speed. On my cars, I usually cruise right above the speed where the torque converter locks in the highest gear in the car. In my V6 Accord, that's about 53mph @ 1600rpms, in the MPV it's about 45-50 mph, in the LS400 it's...I dunno because I just hit cruise control.
Old 09-17-06, 06:45 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

When I say that I'm using extremely light throttle, I mean that I'm accellerating just enough to not be the slowest car away from a stop light, and the tranny will shift to the next gear between 2K and 3K. If I gave it any more throttle, the ECU would richen up the fuel mixture (use more fuel) and the tranny would hold the lower gears longer (use more fuel).
Old 09-17-06, 05:07 PM
MeTrO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is anyone else tired of trying to reply to this guy for fear that, instead of taking it as comments to a question he asked, he will find some grammatical error or remind you that you know less than him; just ask him....I'm sure he'll agree.

Your question has been answered many times already....it is the OPINION that it will cause more wear and tear on your transmission, thereby outweighing any cost sacings in your mpg saving "procedure."

If you need a more engineer-like response, maybe you should consult the Toyota/Lexus Engineer forum.....or start one.
Old 09-17-06, 09:02 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Ken,

If "N" was for towing, then why is it right next to "D" with no obstruction in shifter movement? If I were designing it specifically for towing, I would put it right next to "P".
I'm guessing for safety reasons.
If your throttle/brake ever gets stuck, it's easier to slide it one notch than several.
Old 09-17-06, 09:05 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

I've already seen that it is "significant" enough to consider. For the past month, I've been entertaining myself by trying to get the best possible MPG by driving as conservatively as possible: using the brakes as little as possible, maintaining as much speed as possible around corners, anticipating stop lights, drafting other cars, using extremely light throttle, and staying near the speed limit. I've just recently added the "D" to "N" thing to my procedure, since I was getting so irritated watching my "Tank AVG" drop a point at each long stop light. Shifting to "N" fixed that problem.
Drafting behind other cars?

I think that's one of the stupidest things you could possibly do to save gas.
Not only is it illegal and dangerous (is your life worth saving a few pennies on gas), you risk rock being kicked up by the tires and chipping your hood/bumper.
Old 09-17-06, 09:40 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

It's amazing what one small question can turn into. I stoped reading after the second thread...

For the record, I switch to N all the time, and I dont have to guess that it wont harm the Tranny--any more than leaving it in pwr Mode all the time.
Old 09-17-06, 11:43 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by MeTrO
Is anyone else tired of trying to reply to this guy for fear that, instead of taking it as comments to a question he asked, he will find some grammatical error or remind you that you know less than him; just ask him....I'm sure he'll agree.

Your question has been answered many times already....it is the OPINION that it will cause more wear and tear on your transmission, thereby outweighing any cost sacings in your mpg saving "procedure."

If you need a more engineer-like response, maybe you should consult the Toyota/Lexus Engineer forum.....or start one.
No. I have not found this to be true at all.

Quick Reply: Shifting auto tranny from "D" to "N" at stop lights for fuel economy