IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

So what is this brace for?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-06, 09:09 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So what is this brace for?

Not sure how many of you have looked under your car but for those who have perhaps one of you can tell me the reason for the bracing just in front of the rear wheels. There are two on them; one on each side running fore and aft and ending just in front of the rear wheels. At the front of each there is a strut contacting them from side to side (can be seen right between the two upright braces belonging to my fence). Looks strange but I'm sure there is a good reason for them being there.

Yeah. I can tell it's some sort of brace. I figured that much out. But what is the reason for it? Looks almost like an afterthought but Lexus is way ahead in their thinking for that to happen.

Maybe one of you Lexus mechanics or techies can shed some light of it. Thanks...

Check photo
Attached Thumbnails So what is this brace for?-dsc01021.jpg  
Old 09-17-06, 11:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,423 Posts

From page BO-2 of the New Car Features manual:

A brace is installed between the front attachment area of the rear suspension member and the front floor reinforcement, maintaining torsional rigidity. By connecting the braces with a pipe brace, the tendency of the tunnel in the floor to flex is reduced, thus enhancing transverse rigidity.
You really can't beat the New Car Features manual for understanding why the engineers did things the way they did.
Old 09-18-06, 12:27 AM
inecstaz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

You really can't beat the New Car Features manual for understanding why the engineers did things the way they did.
where'd you get this info from? I'd like to read it.... sounds interesting... New Car Features Manual
Old 09-18-06, 10:48 AM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Thanks for the information Did I miss something in my owner's packet............as in a 'new car features manual'?

I would go check but I'm driving a loaner (for over a week now; and no manuel) Lexus is waiting for a new rear-view mirror to arrive. The one I have won't dim and they broke the first replacement!!! Don't know how but it developed a small crack..........so they told me to keep the loaner (a brand new IS350 with only 180 miles on the clock)
Old 09-18-06, 11:42 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Haha, he did make it sound like it's in the owner's manual, didn't he? That's an exerpt from the TIS repair manual, available at techinfo.lexus.com for $10 daily or $50 monthly. There's also an annual subscription available, but I can't remember how much it is.

Javier
Old 09-18-06, 12:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

$350. I bought it because it's cheaper than the paper manuals and covers all four of the Toyota products in my driveway.

New Car Features is a book produced for every model that outlines all the engineering behind the car. It is available for techs and sales staff to understand the details of the technology used in the car. I bought my first NCF for my '94 TT Supra, and I've bought the NCF for every Toyota I've owned since. It should be required reading before performing any mod to the car. You'd be amazed how many times people come up with mods that are directly contradictory to the original design goals, and doomed to mediocrity at best.
Old 09-18-06, 12:49 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

You'd be amazed how many times people come up with mods that are directly contradictory to the original design goals, and doomed to mediocrity at best.
Are you referring to intake or exhaust mods, or things like chassis bracing?
Old 09-18-06, 12:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

All kinds of mods. Like the guys who say they want aftermarket brake discs because the aftermarket ones have curved vanes. Well, so do the stock discs. Or the guys who would remove some sound dampening gizmo and then complain about buzziness. Or a million other little detailed things you can find in the NCF. I actually think it's more useful than the FSM for someone wanting to mod the car. It gives you perspective on WHY, and you can't get that from any other piece of documentation on the vehicle. Often times if you understand why something was done a certain way, then you can figure out if it is something you can successfully modify to your liking or not. Somethings can't be modified without a great deal of re-engineering. At least the NCF gives you a baseline from which to start.