IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

And so it begins out there "G35 stomps Is350"

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-06, 10:11 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
You are so typical. I don't care this I don't care that.....actually you care. You emphasize on the areas that IS beats G, but simply deny or ignore the areas that G beats IS. Now Toyota fan, go out there and try other cars, there are several brands of cars that are just as good, if not better than Lexus/Toyota vehicles.
TwiBlueG35 please exit this thread. In the future make your (valid) points without the personal commentary pointed at all members of this forum. If you can't, I'll ask you to leave.
Old 09-20-06, 10:40 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I definaltly prefer my IS350 over the new G35. Smoother, quieter more refined engine. Slightly more powerfull than the G as well. 6 speed auto and much nicer interior.

That said however, had the new G35 been out when I bought my IS or had I not been in the market for a new car until now, it would be a VERY tough choice. If pricing was the same, I'll take the IS, no question. However prices are not the same and the IS carries a premium over the G35. The permium was worth it with the 2006 G35, but the 07 is so much improved in every way over the 06 that it may be tempting for me to pocket an extra few grand and drive away with a 2007 G35.
Old 09-20-06, 10:51 PM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

07 G35 did get much nicer.. but i still like my IS better.
Old 09-20-06, 11:55 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cspec
I meant I don't care, as in it doens't phase me whether or not people likes the car or not. I have tried a lot of cars, probably more than you could imagine. I've owned a G35 Coupe actually, and an R33 GTR in Hong Kong. And maybe I am biased because well, the quality has been better in my friends Supra, and my IS350 than the G Coupe and the GTR. Does that suffice to you that in my opinion on Toyota? Or are you just like those other G owners that wants to prove that their car is better because it's cheaper and more "bang" for the buck?
wow.. i think you shut him up with this one... you pretty much named all the top cars and commented on something he's probably never going to have..
Old 09-21-06, 11:57 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, looks like we've come to the end of the road. Bout time to close this thread. Looks like you guys want to argue. Bottom line is both are nice cars. Both have pros, both have cons. There is no need for a war. I love my G35. I love my Lexus...both of them. I didn't fit in the IS and it's a sedan. Doesn't mean it's bad. Lexus just didn't make it for me.
Old 09-21-06, 03:37 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

"In short, Infiniti does a much better job of being the Japanese luxury brand that makes cars we WANT TO drive."

[Bold emphasis mine]

Key word here is "we". C & D editors for the most part, are a bunch of snobbish middle-aged guys who would always rather drive the sportiest car they can get, even when they're reviewing cars from completely sport-absent segments, or cars where sport holds no value. Sport in a minivan, a family sedan, or a prestige luxury premium sedan? Car and Driver can complain all the way, and bash other "less sporty" automakers all they want, but the fact is practically NOBODY buys a minivan, family sedan, or even prestige luxury sedan for sport.

If you want sport, go buy a sports car, or a Lotus. Otherwise, Car and Driver needs to quit being such babies, and to give credit where it is due, and to appreciate cars for what they are.

The new IS, as well as new LS both offer more than enough sport, but at the same time they remain a Lexus, and are not out to completely imitate BMW, like Infiniti is trying to do. If you want a BMW, go buy a BMW, but don't complain that a Lexus "isn't as sporty as a BMW".

In essence, they like the G35 because it has a lot of what they like; sport. They don't care about stiff suspension settings, or lack of certain luxury features. But it doesn't matter what they like, because what they like often is not what most buyers like.
Old 09-21-06, 03:55 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
"In short, Infiniti does a much better job of being the Japanese luxury brand that makes cars we WANT TO drive."

[Bold emphasis mine]

Key word here is "we". C & D editors for the most part, are a bunch of snobbish middle-aged guys who would always rather drive the sportiest car they can get, even when they're reviewing cars from completely sport-absent segments, or cars where sport holds no value. Sport in a minivan, a family sedan, or a prestige luxury premium sedan? Car and Driver can complain all the way, and bash other "less sporty" automakers all they want, but the fact is practically NOBODY buys a minivan, family sedan, or even prestige luxury sedan for sport.

If you want sport, go buy a sports car, or a Lotus. Otherwise, Car and Driver needs to quit being such babies, and to give credit where it is due, and to appreciate cars for what they are.

The new IS, as well as new LS both offer more than enough sport, but at the same time they remain a Lexus, and are not out to completely imitate BMW, like Infiniti is trying to do. If you want a BMW, go buy a BMW, but don't complain that a Lexus "isn't as sporty as a BMW".

In essence, they like the G35 because it has a lot of what they like; sport. They don't care about stiff suspension settings, or lack of certain luxury features. But it doesn't matter what they like, because what they like often is not what most buyers like.
After 20 years of subscribing to C&D, I completley agree. I think the Evo Vs Sti comparisons were the first time I really started noticing this from them since previous to that, I owned all the cars that were the most *sporty* in the class and won all the time (s2000 for expample). Always boggeled my mind that the Evo was rated by them better then the Sti (by 1 point if ?I remember) when the Sti was 1000 times the car that the Evo was and the Evo performed .01% better at 95%+ driving.

Last edited by y2ks2k; 09-21-06 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 09-21-06, 05:25 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

[Bold emphasis mine]

I thought the IS is a sports/luxury sedan.
Old 09-21-06, 05:54 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Hey everyone lets be nice. I think alot of you guys have very good points. Both the is350 and 07 G35 are nice, and if both came out at the same time then it would be a tough choice for sure. But i got my moneys worth
Old 09-21-06, 06:21 PM
QSVeilside
Rookie

Anyone that states a HIGHLY opinionated comment like, "G35 STOMPS IS350," goes straight into the ignorant fool chapter of my book.

In MOST publications, editors will state their favorites amongst competitors as: "I am slightly leaning towards blah because of blah, blah and blah." Unless there was a significant failure by the car company, there is RARELY an article that has, "Blah Stomps Blah," in the title.

So did Lexus fail with the IS so far behind Infiniti to deserve such a title? Perhaps this guy FAILED to look at the sales figures? Now GM and Ford on the other hand... It's like shorting their stock... A given.

Last edited by QSVeilside; 09-21-06 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-21-06, 10:27 PM
Oaktown350
Driver School Candidate

I read the same article, and I'm surprised a fellow owner makes sure to put "stomp" in the post. I'm a C&D subscriber and still think it's one of the better car mags. I rember one of the opinions stating with the G35 you get what you pay for. Which is a low blow, because not everyone has 40K plus to spend on a car. Giving that it starts out at 32K with 306 Horsepower is remarkable. Then in the price comparison, they made it appear that the Lexus started a tad under 40K. It would be 40K with options, but it starts around 36K without options. Competition being what it is, the G35 does look nice, but way too similar in my opinion to the current one, but having a manual with 306 Horspower is appealing. Competition is great, maybe Lexus will buck up and drop a manual in the 350 and not one out of the Tundra pickup. At the same time, I respect Lexus for what they designed the IS 350 to be a Luxury Sports Sedan. I guess shifting your own gears is too much work which takes away from the luxury feeling.
Old 09-22-06, 09:42 AM
KKelly
Lead Lap

The fact that C&D guys are car guys is why I subscribe. They even have an entry in the NASA 25 Hour Enduro again. If I am forced to ever buy a minivan I want to know which one would be the most fun to thrash (not that this will ever happen).

It doesn't indicate "bias" merely a preference. If that factor isn't as important to you than you give it less weight. Actually, as a long time subscriber, they need some new younger guys as they are starting to complain about stiff suspensions, etc. Nobody ever complained that the E36 M3 had a stiff suspension. They are getting soft in their old age.
Old 09-22-06, 01:42 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=KKelly;2139019] They are getting soft in their old age: Quote.

Nope, just getting smarter......
The magazine (C/D) still sucks and is now just a hair better than Motor Trend. You want a 'real' kids magazine Motor Trend's the one...

C/D is still, however, fun to read cause who else cares about the skid pad numbers on a cement truck more the C/D and then they will compare it to a BMW M3 and ***** about the low numbers on the truck. C/D. Only Mad Comics is funnier to read...
Old 09-22-06, 02:00 PM
Fujifuzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's all about Lexus/Toyota folks. Who's close to taking over the #1 spot?

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/global...921_733913.htm
Old 09-22-06, 08:06 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

the new g35 is a wanna be is350. infiniti is a wanna be lexus. jk!!?

Quick Reply: And so it begins out there "G35 stomps Is350"