IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-24, 05:47 PM
ELexis
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts

Understood Yamehoo, thank you. If removing the unit is easy enough, then will remove the throttle body entirely from the location to perform the cleaning service. Any additional details if replacing the gasket as well, or is it simple as removing the existing gasket and replacing with new gasket?
Old 03-07-24, 09:37 PM
Yamehoo
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Super simple to remove the gasket, clean the surface around and behind it a little bit and put the new one back in.
Old 03-08-24, 03:09 AM
ELexis
Instructor

It appeared removal / installation of the gasket was a simple procedure, but didn't want to overlook something.that may have been unique to this particular procedure during the process. Again thank you Yamehoo!
Also, hadn't known Toyota produced a throttle plate cleaner as well; TOYOTA Genuine Toyota Fluid 00289-1TP00 Throttle Plate Cleaner - 14 oz. Can

Last edited by ELexis; 03-08-24 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-08-24, 03:39 PM
Yamehoo
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

That's what I use to clean my throttle, one bottle can last you for years
Old 03-08-24, 05:32 PM
ELexis
Instructor

Any ingredients to consider being included / beneficial prior to purchasing CRC Throttle Body & Air intake cleaner vs.TOYOTA Genuine Toyota Fluid 00289-1TP00 Throttle Plate Cleaner?
Old 04-10-24, 03:51 PM
ELexis
Instructor

Noticed when vehicle ECT switch is set to POWER mode, and when throttle is tapped while rolling forward, engine revs and stays revved for a moment, when the accelerator is not pressed, before returning to normal ideal.
I understand setting ECT switch set to POWER increases the RPMs however, feels as though something is sticking. Is this normal operation, or perhaps issue due to throttle body (dirty), TPS sensor becoming faulty, etc.
Vehicle has satisfied the past recall for valves.
Old 04-10-24, 11:19 PM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Putting the ect mode in power makes the throttle response more aggressive and changes the transmission to be biased to be in a lower gear. I haven't seen your car and what it is doing, but it sounds like normal behavior for that mode.

I personally always drive my car in the normal position. The car doesn't actually make more power and I am not fond of the jerkiness from the power mode.. I could see where someone would use power when tracking the car to avoid extra shifts.
Old 04-11-24, 03:29 AM
ELexis
Instructor

Usually keep vehicle out of POWER mode as well, and not experienced with how engine "normally" operates when POWER mode is engaged. Just thought it not normal when the accelerator is tapped and engine revs and " hangs on to the high RPMs", after the accelerator / pedal is released. Seems somewhat of a delayed response.
I'll be performing the cleaning service for the throttle body with it removed as previously suggested, using of CRC Throttle Body & Air intake cleaner. Will see if perhaps it remedies the condition or just may be the way engine behaves when in POWER mode as you stated. Thank you for the follow up!

Last edited by ELexis; 04-11-24 at 03:42 AM.
Old 04-11-24, 06:12 PM
ELexis
Instructor

Located additional discussion about removing throttle body to perform the cleaning service here (overlooked on initial search).Also states to torque throttle body bolts to 7 ft. lbs. (see diagram below).

Throttle body cleaning
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-cleaning.html

Old 04-12-24, 10:16 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,272 Posts

I'm not sure if you already did this or not, but it is safe to manually open TB for cleaning when the ignition is off. Do not wedge it open with anything solid as its a soft material and it can be damaged. Only use a rag or maybe some firm foam to hold it open. Be warned that blade is pretty sharp.
Old 04-12-24, 11:26 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
I'm not sure if you already did this or not, but it is safe to manually open TB for cleaning when the ignition is off. Do not wedge it open with anything solid as its a soft material and it can be damaged. Only use a rag or maybe some firm foam to hold it open. Be warned that blade is pretty sharp.
Another Is you can actually pull it out further, and rest it on its front side. The bypass coolant hose is pretty long. This helps when letting the cleaner soak on the backside. Afterwards just guide the bypass back in once bolting up the TB.
Old 04-12-24, 11:43 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Another Is you can actually pull it out further, and rest it on its front side. The bypass coolant hose is pretty long. This helps when letting the cleaner soak on the backside. Afterwards just guide the bypass back in once bolting up the TB.

Ya I pulled mine off to clean from both sides. Plenty of hose for that! True!

A public FYI - each time the engine is shut off, the cylinders with open intake valves allow combustion gasses to enter the intake. More short drives equals more goop behind the TB throughout the intake. Of course through the PCV system, crankcase vapor is getting in the in intake tube and MAF.
Old 04-12-24, 04:41 PM
ELexis
Instructor

I'd rather perform the cleaning service with the bypass coolant hose still attached and only the throttle body removed (after removing the four 10mm bolts and the one electrical connector). Should have enough space to access both front and rear of the throttle plate. If it's needed, would slowly opening the throttle plate slightly to access the inside throttle housing where the throttle plate attaches, cause an issue with the throttle body disconnected from electrical connector?

Old 04-18-24, 03:28 PM
ELexis
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Ya I pulled mine off to clean from both sides. Plenty of hose for that! True!

A public FYI - each time the engine is shut off, the cylinders with open intake valves allow combustion gasses to enter the intake. More short drives equals more goop behind the TB throughout the intake. Of course through the PCV system, crankcase vapor is getting in the in intake tube and MAF.

I understand it probably best to remove the negative battery cable while performing the cleaning however, interested if you performed the cleaning without removing any cables.

Old 04-21-24, 06:45 AM
ELexis
Instructor

With power ON and engine off / not running, if the pedal is pressed, should the throttle plates move, or, are the throttle plates only responsive when the vehicle is running (which would eliminate using a Throttle Pedal Depressor like the Lisle 48700, to keep pedal down and throttle plates opened).

Lisle 48700 Throttle Pedal Depressor

Quick Reply: IS350 throttle body