IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-06, 12:21 PM
soarer479
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 throttle body

is it throttle by wire or throttle cable? thinking of making some but i dont have an IS in front of me
Old 09-19-06, 02:07 PM
lexKimmel
Driver

What are you talking or Typing about.
Old 09-19-06, 03:19 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's by wire and the car does not have a throttle body. It's Direct Injected.!!
Old 09-19-06, 04:07 PM
jezza
Driver

Throttle body? Good grief man, it's not a Ford! j/k
Old 09-19-06, 04:21 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

What did you say theses cars don't have t-bodies news to me. Direct injection doesn't mean there is no t-body.
Old 09-19-06, 04:37 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

These cars do indeed have throttle bodies - what do you think the intake tube connects to? See the diagram below, taken from the Lexus service manual for the IS350...

Javier
The following users liked this post:
lilbaeleaf (04-19-24)
Old 09-19-06, 04:46 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

What are we talking about here, a board out t-body sounds good to me.
Old 09-19-06, 04:46 PM
Pittdawg
Driver

Originally Posted by soarer479
is it throttle by wire or throttle cable? thinking of making some but i dont have an IS in front of me
Do you modify throttle bodies, such as a port and polish?
Old 09-19-06, 05:13 PM
lexem
Pole Position

I thought these cars were drive by wire.
Old 09-19-06, 05:19 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

They are throttle by wire. Basically what that means is that the butterfly valve inside the throttlebody is controller by a motor or servo which is controlled by the computer instead of having a cable physically connecting the butterfly valve to the accelerator pedal.
Old 09-19-06, 07:33 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by javyLSU
These cars do indeed have throttle bodies - what do you think the intake tube connects to? See the diagram below, taken from the Lexus service manual for the IS350...

Javier
What was I thinking? Without the throttle body the injectors would not know how much fuel to inject. Sorry for thinking without the brain engaged...
Old 09-19-06, 07:39 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gtidan
What was I thinking? Without the throttle body the injectors would not know how much fuel to inject. Sorry for thinking without the brain engaged...
Without the TB, the fuel injectors are the least of your problems. You need three basic ingrediants for an engine to run. A compressed mixture of air and fuel and a spark

Without the TB, you're taking out one of those ingrediants which is AIR. since that is where the intake mates with.
Old 09-19-06, 10:01 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Its electronic...the pedal has no wire routing to the throttle body.
Old 09-19-06, 10:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,966 Likes on 2,402 Posts

Huh?

All the throttlebody does is restrict intake air to regulate engine airflow and thereby control engine power and speed. They only work on gasoline engines with spark ignition. A cable operated throttlebody has a wire attached to the accelerator and the throttle is directly controlled by the operator's foot. We have a "drive-by-wire" system where the ECM controls the throttle position based on operator input and operating parameters predetermined by Toyco when they wrote the code for the ECM. The throttle can actually be doing something quite different than what you think, and there are a LOT of good reasons for this.

Diesels have no throttlebody because they control engine speed and power by restricting fuel, not air. Compression ignition needs a full gulp of air just to develop enough heat to ignite the fuel.

The throttlebody only plays a tiny role in determining a/f, and TPS data is used for enrichment when the blade (butterfly valve) in the throttlebody opens quickly just like an accelerator pump on a carburetor.

Determining the actual amount of fuel the engine needs involves a number of sensors, some of which refer to base fuel maps and others providing correction factors to those base maps. There are also a number of types of fuel injection both with and without feedback sensors.

The only FI using the throttlebody data exclusively is called alpha-n, and it employs no feedback at all. It's a simple VE map with target fuel values based on rpm and throttle position. It is not used in modern emissions controlled automobiles at all because it can't be made to compensate for myriad variables in atmospheric conditions and still produce a good emissions profile. They are the "carburetor" of electronic fuel injection - simple, effective, but impossible to keep in sharp tune over a wide range of conditions and time.

There is obviously a LOT more to electronically controlled fuel injection and throttlebodies, but if you think this post is long, well, the post describing all those things would be ridiculously long and only interesting to a very few people.
Old 09-19-06, 10:39 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I wouldn't consider doing anything to the throttle body unless I was using forced induction. I'm sure Lexus picked the right sized hole for a stock motor.

Quick Reply: IS350 throttle body