Tires for life package/deal

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-06, 01:04 PM
chuckler
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tires for life package/deal

Hey guys,

I just put down an speical order for an 07 IS stick at Lexus of Cherry Hill, NJ and one the main reasons I decided to do business with them was because they offered me tires for life. They said the tires last for about 15k-20k miles so this is a reallly good deal. So yes I bit.

But after thinking about it....stupid me I never asked them what was the catch? Anyhow, today I get a call from Ray Catena Lexus of Monmouth, NJ (3rd largest lexus in the country) wanting my business and they said people who bought cars from lexus of cherry hill with the tires for life thing isn't what its cracked up to be. They don't really give you tires if it pops or it wears faster than it should. blah blah blah.

So now i'm at a lost...has anyone here have experience for this tires for life thing.

FYI, lexus of cherry hill gave me 1500 off msrp and ray catena is offereing 2500 off msrp

your input would be appreciated. thanks
Old 09-20-06, 01:11 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I purchased My 06 IS350 from lexus of cherry hill two months ago and they offered me the same thing, catch is that you have to all the service performed through them.
Old 09-20-06, 01:22 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

yea.. i asked 'em what the catch was... they'll do all your tires but you have to come in for all the maintinence... i asked 'em bout oil change.. they said about $100.... which i thought was a lot.. and it wasn't worth it because i would have to travel a distance since it's dealership specific...

there might be a minimum days for cancelation.. try to look into it...

they do a pretty good job by saying.. you'll need tires every 10k and that the tires cost 1k.
Old 09-20-06, 01:22 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

i heard on most of these to qualify you have to go to every scheduled maintainence which is pricey. I never really believed in the scheduled maintainence, I never took my prelude in I only did oil changes coolant changes elsewhere and nothing goes wrong

the 18" tires according to member experience can easily last over the 15k even over 20k
Old 09-20-06, 01:29 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

yea.. you have to have all the scheduled maintinence.. this is why i didn't think it was worth it...

and 4TehNguyen... they said 10k miles and cost 1k. They were full of crap to start with on the package...

THINK BOUT IT everyone.. if you were to do business do you think lexus would think about losing money just so that you get get free tires... "there's no such thing as a free lunch"
Old 09-20-06, 01:41 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Personally, I'd rather have complete control over my next tire purchase. Sure the OEM Dunlops/Bridgestone are pretty good, but in 2 yrs, who knows what the next gen HP tire will bring. If today, I'd be leaning towards Michelin PS2 as my next set, and I'm sure in 18 months I'll change my mind again . . .
Old 09-20-06, 01:43 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckler
Hey guys,

I just put down an special order for an 07 IS stick at Lexus of Cherry Hill, NJ and one the main reasons I decided to do business with them was because they offered me tires for life. They said the tires last for about 15k-20k miles so this is a really good deal. So yes I bit.

But after thinking about it....stupid me I never asked them what was the catch? Anyhow, today I get a call from Ray Catena Lexus of Monmouth, NJ (3rd largest Lexus in the country) wanting my business and they said people who bought cars from Lexus of cherry hill with the tires for life thing isn't what its cracked up to be. They don't really give you tires if it pops or it wears faster than it should. blah blah blah.

So now I'm at a lost...has anyone here have experience for this tires for life thing.

FYI, Lexus of cherry hill gave me 1500 off msrp and ray catena is offering 2500 off msrp

your input would be appreciated. thanks
Someone is yanking your chain. The tire program (at least the premium tire and rim package) covers the tires as they wear out and rims. Whenever the tread get down to 3/32 or 4/32, I forget) they will replace the tires with a similar tire. Includes balancing, etc. also road hazard is part of the deal meaning if you have blow out etc your covered. Funny you asked because I just now returned from my dealer and we discussed this very matter.

Relax. Depending on how you drive you should at least break even on the deal or even come out ahead.

I also returned a loaner that I put 140 miles on and can tell you without hesitation that the Bridgestone tires ride a helluva lot smoother than the Dunlap's. I thought I was driving home in a GS not an IS....what a difference.
Old 09-20-06, 01:58 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Buyer beware. These deals only ever benefit the dealer.
Old 09-20-06, 05:08 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Buyer beware. These deals only ever benefit the dealer.
yes
Old 09-20-06, 07:55 PM
celica2nv
Rookie

they also are owned by burlinton toyota where i bought my car and they offer the same package...you just have to have all ur service done there.
Old 09-20-06, 07:59 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need tires every 10k miles? LOL
Old 09-20-06, 08:59 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by celica2nv
they also are owned by burlinton toyota where i bought my car and they offer the same package...you just have to have all ur service done there.
You know they tell you that (you have to have all your service done there) but the contract does NOT say that at all. Do as you please with your service and you still have the tire deal. At least that's what MY contract says and I'm sure it's the same as yours.....
Old 09-20-06, 09:31 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

It's a total scam........Typical dealer fluff......If you don't do all your service with them, they can and will cancel the contract.

I was about to dive in to this same deal untill they dropped that on me. "You want me to do what" Every service here? What if I move?

Canceled canceled canceled.

If the thing is totally free, you have nothing to loose. Otherwise get a better deal on the car or go elsewhere......And any dealer can order your car. Your order won't be submitted to Lexus intill the end of the month anyway, so if you want o go shopping again, go for it.
Old 09-20-06, 11:03 PM
likwid
Driver School Candidate

I purchased this and then read through the contract and it stated that you had to follow the maintenance schedule, had to have a alignment each year, and that all services had to done at that specific dealer or they could void the contract. I didn't think it was worth it so i cancelled it. If you plan on following the maintenance schedule, have everything serviced at the dealership, and plan on keeping this car for a while, then it might be worth.
Old 09-20-06, 11:25 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

call me a sucker, but i took the plan b/c i got the 5 yr. plan at the cost of the 3 year plan. the roads here in L.A. suck period. i figured that with the first 3 services free, and not moving to a new state, that i'd take it.

they replace the rim if you can't park, or bust a rim on a pot hole. who knows what the rim itself costs. of course, that would limit you to staying with the stock rims.

AND, the closer gets $25 commish for closing it on you.

Quick Reply: Tires for life package/deal