IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Interest in 06 IS Chrome Moly Strut Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06, 02:01 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on the LMS website its about $250 for each bar, so somethign under that i would guess.
Old 09-21-06, 02:10 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is 250 for both I'm in for sure.
Old 09-21-06, 02:21 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by car_lost
on the LMS website its about $250 for each bar, so somethign under that i would guess.
Seems like an awful lot of money to pay for an "appearance" mod that nobody will see. That is unless you pay someone else to change your oil, or put groceries in your trunk.
Old 09-21-06, 03:34 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no one answered whether it would require removal to take out the engine cover. and also, how much does each of the bars weigh?
Old 09-21-06, 03:41 PM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ff_
Seems like an awful lot of money to pay for an "appearance" mod that nobody will see. That is unless you pay someone else to change your oil, or put groceries in your trunk.
+1. IMHO its a pretty sweet mod, ranks right up there with the "type R" stickers and swapping the "H" for the "A" on the civics and integras. This is a lexus, leave the poser rice mods to the ricers??
Old 09-21-06, 04:44 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So are some of you guys claiming this upper strut bar mount does not benifit the handling?

It is suppose to reduce chassis flex.
Old 09-21-06, 04:49 PM
acl15
Lead Lap

it's a performance and handling mod...
Old 09-21-06, 06:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Not a chance. It's a total flexible flyer bling mod. With pivot bolts at both ends it's almost completely useless for stiffening a chassis. If it were fully rigid, maybe some slight improvement but nothing you could possibly feel, and probably not measure even on a road course. Definitely not with stock width tires.

I wouldn't run it on my dog's lawnmower.
Old 09-22-06, 05:44 AM
frylai
Driver

I don't think anyone is right or wrong here...I m no expert but I've learnt a few things about strut brace with my old Gen 1 IS.

Strut Brace works when...

-It's single piece
-You turn over 40mph
-Better with aftermarket coilovers

Dosent work when...

-You can bend the bar with your own hands
-when your stock suspension is as comfortable as a cadillac'
-when you drive like a grandma

I ordered a front an drear will place feedback when I get it...

Matt
Old 09-22-06, 06:26 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by frylai
Dosent work when...

Bingo! Putting a strut bar on a car that handles like a floaty, bouncy Buick is like dressing a piece of fresh dog poop up in fancy white linen. All you end up with is dirty, stinky linen.

Old 09-22-06, 08:16 AM
Lupin5
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Not a chance. It's a total flexible flyer bling mod. With pivot bolts at both ends it's almost completely useless for stiffening a chassis. If it were fully rigid, maybe some slight improvement but nothing you could possibly feel, and probably not measure even on a road course. Definitely not with stock width tires.

I wouldn't run it on my dog's lawnmower.

Your dog has a lawnmower.
Old 09-22-06, 09:01 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by frylai
I don't think anyone is right or wrong here...I m no expert but I've learnt a few things about strut brace with my old Gen 1 IS.

Strut Brace works when...

-It's single piece
-You turn over 40mph
-Better with aftermarket coilovers

Dosent work when...

-You can bend the bar with your own hands
-when you drive like a grandma

I ordered a front an drear will place feedback when I get it...

Matt

Works when:

You have a strut suspension or you have a very high mount upper wishbone that uses the front shock tower for support.

Doesn't work when:

You don't have a strut suspension or your upper wishbone mount is not part of the shock tower.

In the case of the 1IS and 2IS, the rear will not benefit in any way. The upper mount is part of the rear subframe, so there will be zero benefit to the rear of the chassis. In the case of the 2IS, the sheet of metal between the rear seats and the trunk provides more stiffening than any bar could ever hope to provide. This is a brilliant move on Toyco's part for chassis stiffness.

The front MAY benefit, but not from the type of bar they are offering. There should be no pivot bolts in a successful design, and this design has two of them, so in any situation requiring load transfer, the pivot joint will tend to move before anything good happens. If it were a solid design, there might be a discernable difference, but a great deal of this will also depend on how well the chassis is designed. Given the small height difference between the upper control arm mount and the front subframe rail (~100mm), I'd call this pretty marginal.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 09-22-06 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-22-06, 09:16 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by t0e
It’s funny how people were slamming these in another thread, saying they wouldn’t do anything for the car.

But yet when L-tuned list them everyone starts asking for prices. At least be consistent…

Here is a link to that thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=238945

P.S.

Nothing against L-tuned or any previous posters, just some comments I had read in the other thread.
Where's the inconsistency? I still think there's no benefit for a "Shock Tower Bar" on this car.
Old 09-22-06, 09:27 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

ON top of that, the brackets look very under-engineered (flemsy), and the bars don't even look good.
Old 09-22-06, 10:08 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The front MAY benefit, but not from the type of bar they are offering. There should be no pivot bolts in a successful design, and this design has two of them, so in any situation requiring load transfer, the pivot joint will tend to move before anything good happens. If it were a solid design, there might be a discernable difference, but a great deal of this will also depend on how well the chassis is designed. Given the small height difference between the upper control arm mount and the front subframe rail (~100mm), I'd call this pretty marginal.

i agree. from my opinion, only one whole bar will benifit. this bar is 3 pcs. if it was welded together, then it will help.

Quick Reply: Interest in 06 IS Chrome Moly Strut Bar?