Normal vs. PWR mode- The mileage experiment

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06, 07:18 AM
muffin57
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Normal vs. PWR mode- The mileage experiment

Hello.

I wanted to see the difference I'd get in mileage on a tank of gas in NORMAL mode vs. a tank in PWR mode. I drove almost identical routes on both tanks. Lots of stop and go, back road driving. In NORMAL mode, my is250 AWD went 353 miles, while in power mode, I only got 287 miles. I feel like that's a pretty significant difference. It's too bad, I love driving in PWR mode. Anyway, I'm just curious about other peoples thoughts on this. Also, does anyone know exactly what's happening inside the engine when you're in PWR mode.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-06, 07:29 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Downshifts sooner/easier and upshifts at higher RPMs.

Koz
Old 09-21-06, 07:31 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by muffin57
Hello.

I wanted to see the difference I'd get in mileage on a tank of gas in NORMAL mode vs. a tank in PWR mode. I drove almost identical routes on both tanks. Lots of stop and go, back road driving. In NORMAL mode, my is250 AWD went 353 miles, while in power mode, I only got 287 miles. I feel like that's a pretty significant difference. It's too bad, I love driving in PWR mode. Anyway, I'm just curious about other peoples thoughts on this. Also, does anyone know exactly what's happening inside the engine when you're in PWR mode.

Thanks.
PWR mode does not affect the engine at all. It is a different ECT (electronically controlled transmission) program, meaning that the automatic transmission will shift at different times, hold on to gears longer, downshift faster when you floor it, etc. By tending to pick lower gears, and stay in them for longer, PWR mode can in theory get worse gas mileage. However, nothing in the engine itself changes.
Old 09-21-06, 07:34 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a IS250 RWD and I just don't feel the extra umph when in power mode. Maybe it's just me. No biggie, I didn't buy it for the umph.
Old 09-21-06, 07:47 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

it's funny how you say engine doesnt' change.. it would be amazing if you can change your engine by a switch of a button... mechaically things don't change but electronically the throttle reponse is a lot better...

0 -60 times with and w/o power mode.. has anyone tried?
Old 09-21-06, 07:54 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

0-60 should be the same. a better comparison would be a couple laps around a track with and without ECT PWR.
Old 09-21-06, 07:58 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

i have a gtech.. i should do some runs with it
Old 09-21-06, 08:13 AM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Its your foot that affects the mileage...
Old 09-21-06, 08:16 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

if i drive w/ pwr mode all the time, would it damage the transmission?
Old 09-21-06, 08:32 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ThoLe
if i drive w/ pwr mode all the time, would it damage the transmission?
The tranny will be fine. The engine isn't doing anything abnormal to the tranny, while the relative amount of torque being applied through the drivetrain is the same, well within tolerance. You'll break traction (if it weren't for the TC), sooner than your tranny.
Old 09-21-06, 09:06 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lol, all this milage talk amuses me... Gas could go to $10/gallon and I still wouldn't think twice about "milage"...

Funny thing is, even when I had my viper and was active in the viper forums there were people talking about how to get slightly better gas milage out of the viper! ROFL...
Old 09-21-06, 09:45 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Technique
lol, all this milage talk amuses me... Gas could go to $10/gallon and I still wouldn't think twice about "milage"...

Funny thing is, even when I had my viper and was active in the viper forums there were people talking about how to get slightly better gas milage out of the viper! ROFL...
The American fanufacturers wish there were more people out there like you... But most people do in fact change their consumption of products (including gasoline) based on price. Hence the recent rise of the Japanese makes at the expense of the American counterparts...

I think most people on this forum would at least consider gas mileage in their decision. It's a big part of why I chose the IS350 over the S4 (and to a lesser extent, the G35). But if you've got no problem forking over massive amounts your hard-earned cash to ExxonMobil, more power to you.
Old 09-21-06, 10:00 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

i had an issues getting the is250 manual... my main reason why i didn't get it is because the is350 got better gas mileage. I figure.. more power better gas...
Old 09-21-06, 10:14 AM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Technique

Hahahaha... I know exactly how you feel... I drive my car in POWER mode only and coming from an average of 12mpg to 20+ is a nice change for me!
Old 09-21-06, 11:04 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

i don't mind the power mode... i can still get around 19~25 mpg.. my old celica got me 16mpg~19mpg...

Quick Reply: Normal vs. PWR mode- The mileage experiment