IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Borrowing My Car, Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-06 | 10:07 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 200000

Question Borrowing My Car, Tips?

Well, lets say you HAVE to let someone (My brother) borrow your car for a day or longer. What would you tell them to be careful of in your IS? I came up with this so far:

-Large wheels (Watch curbs for curb rash, and potholes)
-Low front bumper (Watch high inclines and parking stops)
-Break-In (My car is new Don't rev too high)
-Park far away to prevent scratches
-Car gets squirrely in the wet.

Last edited by VikH; 09-21-06 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-21-06 | 10:13 AM
hiwind
Driver School Candidate

you know theres places your friend can go like Hertz or Enterprise, I would never lend anyone my vehicles! Trust NO-One!!!! Nobody will treat your car like you will,

Only people i'd trust driving my cars are my parents, not even Gf Lol
Old 09-21-06 | 10:15 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Tell that person that if the car comes back in less than what it started out with, expect some royal payback. jk

Then again, how "important" is this person?
Old 09-21-06 | 10:19 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 200000

Well, he's my bro who is visiting from NYC, so I won't let him rent a car.
Old 09-21-06 | 10:22 AM
ExKoukiS14
Rookie

just make sure you wash your car WHEN he gets there. It will show him how much you love your car and that he'll be very carefull since it's brand new.

Good points you arleady brought up was the breakin period, RWD, and parking far. Other then that...he's your brother. -he'll understand.
Old 09-21-06 | 10:23 AM
jamthiede
Driver School Candidate

I always have to remind my wife not to open the car door with her left hand. Over the last couple of years she's scratched up her car door pretty bad by repeatedly hitting her wedding ring against the door panel when pulling the handle. I think she finds my constant reminders annoying, but I don’t want my car all jacked up.
Old 09-21-06 | 10:33 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by VikDiddy
Well, he's my bro who is visiting from NYC, so I won't let him rent a car.
Why not. Or better yet, rent a car for him. I do that when my parents visit. $40 a day is well worth any family tiff.
Old 09-21-06 | 10:38 AM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Guys tend to know how to treat cars better. Never... I mean NEVER let your girlfriend drive your car EVER. I learnt from my mistake.
Old 09-21-06 | 11:03 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

I agree with the posts above, no one will treat your car the way you do. Also, this is a HUGE reason why I'm glad that on the '06 IS, there is no buttom screaming "PUSH ME, PUSH ME" for VSC/TRAC disable (at least that stays on) you have to know about the pedal dance...

Javier
Old 09-21-06 | 11:03 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Unless he rents a vehicle, you and your insurance assume his driving responsibilities. If he damages any property, you take the insurance hit on your vehicle. Family is one thing; accidents rarely happen; but you could loose everything on a liability decision beyond your control.

I rent vehicles when visiting out of town for just this reason, and because they are family.
Old 09-21-06 | 11:45 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

i let 2-3 people constantly drive my car. drinking and driving is very bad
Old 09-21-06 | 12:51 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cspec
Guys tend to know how to treat cars better. Never... I mean NEVER let your girlfriend drive your car EVER.
Both are bad. Girls are bad drivers and many guys will abuse the car. They do stuff that I do but it's my car so I can do what I want to it. They can't. I virtually never let anybody else drive my car.
Old 09-21-06 | 03:19 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 500000

Never loan your car out...

I borrowed my friends brand new M3 once... I had some fun in the back seat with a girl I met that night at a club... The special order cinnamon color leather back there was never the same after

He was pissed off at me until he traded it in 2 months later and got a new one!! lol...

Moral of the story = Lend your car to whoever you want, prepare to be upset when you get it back, but remember, over time, you'll get over it...
Old 09-21-06 | 03:36 PM
LDYNRED
Driver

Originally Posted by cspec
Guys tend to know how to treat cars better. Never... I mean NEVER let your girlfriend drive your car EVER. I learnt from my mistake.
SOME guys treat their cars better. There are still quite a few that aren't as meticulous. Either way, very few people have been allowed to drive my car and most of the time I was in the car with them. Only one person has been allowed to drive my car unattended and that's my husband. Of course, even he had to wait a couple of weeks before I let him drive it
Old 09-21-06 | 03:36 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

what you don't know can't hurt you...

Quick Reply: Borrowing My Car, Tips?