IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What tint should I go?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-06, 12:02 PM
awol707
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So tough...

I do not want to regret the tint I end up with in the end.
Old 09-22-06, 12:15 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by likwid
I ended up getting 50% all around. I'm not a big fan on tinting, but with black int, it was getting way too hot. Didn't want to get sweated by cops, so i kept it light to keep it as stock looking at possible.
do you have pics of your tint job? just curious how the 50 compares to 35 ...
Old 09-22-06, 12:15 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jsteinwald
I got my blk/blk IS350 tinted at Song's Tint. I didn't want to get hassled by the cops, so I went with ceramic Huper Optik 35 all around. It's dark enough with the black interior, but not so dark that you can't see in. Also, I think the reflection goes great with the rims. I also did ceramic tint on the front windshield, 60%. There's no way you can tell that the front is tinted and it keeps the interior dramatically cooler.

Ask for Hann:

Song's Tint Masters
2464 W Washington Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90018
(323) 732-3760
wow you got 35% huper? when'd you get it? when i was there back in august, hann only had 30% or 40% huper. i ended up with 40 cuz i thought 30 was too dark. i woulda gotten 35 if he had it...

*edit* oops n/m i see the date stamp on your picture now hahah. i wonder why he didn't have 35% when i was there tho???

Last edited by ULTiMaX99; 09-22-06 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-22-06, 12:40 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslover
do you have pics of your tint job? just curious how the 50 compares to 35 ...
Not sure if this helps but here is 50% all around(no windshield) of our GS. Also it has a sunshade so the rear appears darker. Today is a pretty nice bright day, at night, it obviously is darker but here are a few pics. Interior is cashmere, not black, so it will most likely appear brighter vs black int.

Old 09-22-06, 01:52 PM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

The way I look at it is this.. if you get caught speeding, and the cop wants to write you up for tint... they will write you up whether it's 50 or 20%. Might as well go for the darkest possible.
Old 09-22-06, 03:26 PM
Phanatik
Driver

jsteinwald, how much did you pay for your ceramic Huper Optik tint at Song's? I was thinking about going there? Also, if anyone's in the San Gabriel Valley area and knows about California Tint on Rosemead Blvd., are they a good tint shop and do they even have ceramic tint? Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 09-22-06, 11:02 PM
awol707
Driver

Originally Posted by OutlawsX
The way I look at it is this.. if you get caught speeding, and the cop wants to write you up for tint... they will write you up whether it's 50 or 20%. Might as well go for the darkest possible.
Wow that right there sums it up. Lmfao ~

Thanks for the wise words!

But then again there are the times where you are not speeding and cops will just write up pretty much anyone for anything. The darker the more noticeable it stands out to cops.

As of now I am more than likely getting 15% and just gonna do my best to lay low.

Imma continue to look around though and try to find some pictures and put them next to each other. Mainly wanna put 35% side by side to 15%.

If anyone could help me out on this that would be great.
Old 09-23-06, 08:31 AM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had three black Honda's and I went with 15% all around on each of them. I live in Los Angeles and have been pulled over by the police twice just because of my windows and no other reason. I have a 2007 IS 250 Tungsten Pearl and i went with the same tint 15% cause i thought it looks good. If you want to come to the Valley from the Westside I got my windows done at Sunshield Tint in Sherman Oaks. The guys has been in business for over 20 years and he does all the dealers in the area including Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, Toyota etc. He is right off the 101 Freeway at Van Nuys Boulevard. The phone number is 818-906-TINT. I think he does really good work and have been happy with my tint for the last 6 years on various cars.
Old 09-23-06, 10:19 AM
awol707
Driver

Originally Posted by dstopsie
I have had three black Honda's and I went with 15% all around on each of them. I live in Los Angeles and have been pulled over by the police twice just because of my windows and no other reason. I have a 2007 IS 250 Tungsten Pearl and i went with the same tint 15% cause i thought it looks good. If you want to come to the Valley from the Westside I got my windows done at Sunshield Tint in Sherman Oaks. The guys has been in business for over 20 years and he does all the dealers in the area including Lexus, Mercedes, Audi, Toyota etc. He is right off the 101 Freeway at Van Nuys Boulevard. The phone number is 818-906-TINT. I think he does really good work and have been happy with my tint for the last 6 years on various cars.
Wow great info I wish I didn't live 7-8 hours from LA, haha! I live in P-Town which is an hour away from San Francisco.

Anyways, have you gotten any tickets so far in your new Lexus with 15% ?
Old 09-23-06, 03:00 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No tickets yet. But i try and keep an eye out for the cops and roll down those windows fast. It is illegal period to tint the driver and passenger side windows here in CA no matter what grade of tint you choose. The first time I got the ticket for my windows in my last Honda I was on the Hollywood Freeway in downtown Los Angeles and a California Highway Patrol motorcycle copy pulled me over for no reason other than my tinted windows and he gave me a ticket. I didnt get a ticket for any moving violation only solely for my windows. Granted it was a fix it ticket but nonetheless it is still a hassle. I purchased 2007 Tungsten Pearl IS 250 about 4 weeks ago. I didnt get black only for the reason that I am tired to keeping a black car looking good. My last three Honda's were all black and I just thought it was time for a change. I am happy with the TP and I think my windows look really good. Plus with the G-spyder rims the car is quite the eye catcher...
Old 09-23-06, 03:18 PM
div4our
Rookie

i dont know how strict it is in other states but in Arizona cops won't pull you over for just tint, if they pull you over for something else and notice your tint, that's when they'll write you a ticket. that being said, all our cars in my family get 5% tint as soon as possible. nothing like the az sun during the summer
Old 09-23-06, 06:08 PM
jsteinwald
Rookie

Sorry guys. My mistake... I got HO 40, not 35 (thank for catching that ULTiMaX99). It was $425 for sides and back window. The front windshield was an extra $200. It's still ceramic, but not Huper Optik. The front windshield is a different clarity, it has to be to be undetectable. I'll post more pictures of my tint later this weekend.
Old 09-23-06, 06:13 PM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

holy crap $425?
Old 09-23-06, 07:14 PM
awol707
Driver

So I have made up my mind, imma go with 15%. I may as well get what looks best with the car even though I put myself at risk with cops. Plus I left out an important factor; my brother-in-law knows a couple cop buddies in town so that will definately help if some funny cop writes me a fix-it-ticket.
Old 09-23-06, 07:18 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

rip off, i got tint on other cars for $140 sides and rear and it lasted a long time, i still need to tint mine

Quick Reply: What tint should I go?