IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What tint should I go?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-06, 08:22 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by awol707
So I have made up my mind, imma go with 15%. I may as well get what looks best with the car even though I put myself at risk with cops. Plus I left out an important factor; my brother-in-law knows a couple cop buddies in town so that will definately help if some funny cop writes me a fix-it-ticket.
Cops can make you take your tint off on the spot if it is too dark. I know plenty of people who this has happened to. If you play dumb, the cop will start the peal for you and won't leave until you take it off.
Old 09-23-06, 09:34 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jsteinwald
Sorry guys. My mistake... I got HO 40, not 35 (thank for catching that ULTiMaX99). It was $425 for sides and back window. The front windshield was an extra $200. It's still ceramic, but not Huper Optik. The front windshield is a different clarity, it has to be to be undetectable. I'll post more pictures of my tint later this weekend.
aw man.. no fair. he charged me 475. maybe he gave you a better deal since you got the windshield tinted as well. oh wells... i'm still happy with it. woulda been even more happy at 425 tho hahah.
Old 09-24-06, 12:45 AM
likwid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres a couple pics with 50%

Before:

After:
]

I wanted to keep it as stock looking as possible, it came out pretty good.
Old 09-24-06, 10:10 AM
JasonC
Pole Position

It's just personal preference but I think anything darker than 35% is getting into the "pimp my ride" territory. I have Madico Advanced Ceramic film 40% all around and love it.
Old 09-24-06, 11:23 AM
jsteinwald
Rookie

ULTiMaX99, man, you are right. I am getting over a head cold and just checked my receipt, and it was 475, not 425. I better lay off the NyQuil.

To the person who thought it was a rip off... ceramic tint is a world of difference compared to dyed or metallic tint. With those 2, you need to go dark to keep out heat. However, with ceramic, you get better heat rejection with a lighter tint. Also there is no interference with navigation or radar detectors on ceramic, whereas there is interference with the metallic tints. As far as dye goes, those will turn purple in just a few years, if that. They have a test of the different tints at Song's with a heat bulb and different tints. You can definitely feel the difference.
Old 09-24-06, 11:24 AM
jsteinwald
Rookie

Here are some more pics of HO 40 all around with Ceramic 60 on the front windshield.
Attached Thumbnails What tint should I go?-front_windshield.jpg  
Old 09-24-06, 11:31 AM
jsteinwald
Rookie

Here's another pic.
Attached Thumbnails What tint should I go?-front2back_angle.jpg  
Old 09-24-06, 11:36 AM
flaunty
Rookie

Was having a hard time deciding what % to go, but thanks to you guys appointment is set up for Tuesday. 35% all around.
Old 09-24-06, 11:42 AM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by likwid
Heres a couple pics with 50%

Before:

After:
]

I wanted to keep it as stock looking as possible, it came out pretty good.
Honestly, I can barely see the difference between them. I think that anything less than 35% isn't worth tinting.

I like the light tint on the windshield. Thats where I think a lighter tint is good because its illegal.
Old 09-24-06, 12:19 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jsteinwald
ULTiMaX99, man, you are right. I am getting over a head cold and just checked my receipt, and it was 475, not 425. I better lay off the NyQuil.

To the person who thought it was a rip off... ceramic tint is a world of difference compared to dyed or metallic tint. With those 2, you need to go dark to keep out heat. However, with ceramic, you get better heat rejection with a lighter tint. Also there is no interference with navigation or radar detectors on ceramic, whereas there is interference with the metallic tints. As far as dye goes, those will turn purple in just a few years, if that. They have a test of the different tints at Song's with a heat bulb and different tints. You can definitely feel the difference.
that tint demo with the heatlamp is awesome! that's what eventually sold me on the ceramic...
Old 09-24-06, 12:25 PM
BottomsUp
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
that tint demo with the heatlamp is awesome! that's what eventually sold me on the ceramic...
I've had non ceramic tint on my accord for 5 years and it looks as good as the day i got it. No purple at all.
Old 09-24-06, 02:02 PM
likwid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by krazykanuk
Honestly, I can barely see the difference between them. I think that anything less than 35% isn't worth tinting.

I like the light tint on the windshield. Thats where I think a lighter tint is good because its illegal.
Thats the way I wanted the tint. I'm not big on tint, I like the stock look. With black interior it was getting way too hot, so I just wanted to get a light tint that would reduce heat and keep the stock look so I wouldn't have any problems with cops. It came out the way I wanted it to. I'm happy with it.
Old 09-24-06, 02:58 PM
awol707
Driver

I like how the 35% looks. I will definately go 60% on the windshield. Hm...
Old 09-24-06, 09:08 PM
Phanatik
Driver

What do you all think about Titanium tint? How's that compared to Ceramic or Metallic?
Old 09-24-06, 09:32 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

if you want performance then go with ceramic tint. nothing beats it in reducing heat. if you don't care about reducing heat and just in it for the looks then get dyed or metallic tint.

Quick Reply: What tint should I go?