IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ML Owners: How often do you put it to good use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-06, 02:18 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
you can get music videos from many places including youtube, google, or your favourite BT client. There's also the newsgroups, people's personal websites, and music forums just like this one CL and using my Mac, I can capture a lot of stuff as well as record them off network television. On the PC, I have a slingbox and tivo.

cmusic/cpsmith, thanks for the info, this sounds like a really interesting aspect of music I've never considered before, may as well make the most use of my equipment; I will use those links.

Do you have a problem with the audio being too low when you burn the video to disc? How do you fix it?
Old 09-22-06, 02:44 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How (what format) do you burn video to disc? And do you burn to CD or DVD?
Old 09-22-06, 03:50 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't have any problems with the audio on my dvd. they are plenty loud. i always make sure i raise the volume when i burn. you can do that with--->

i use iMoviesHD and iDVD and sometimes GarageBand to burn the video and audio to DVD only (never to CD). I can get several hours on a double layer DVD.
Old 09-22-06, 04:04 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The ML does not recognise MP3s written to DVD. Already tried it a number of ways, and it does not work for me. There is also an existing thread about this, but I don't recall the title.
Hmmm... well that sucks. And it really doesn't seem to make much sense to me, either. I mean if you can read DVDs, and you can decode the MP3 file format, how hard is it to combine those two capabilities? Seems like a no brainer to me, but I'll never understand anything, heh.

EDIT: One other thing. Sort of loosely related... but do you happen to know, if I have multiple MP3 CDs inserted and I'm doing shuffle play, will it only be able to pick a random track from a certain CD that I choose? Or is there a mode where it could pick any random track from any random CD, so I can maximize how many tracks it can choose from?

Thanks again.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 09-22-06 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-22-06, 05:04 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

I can take mp3s and burn them to dvd such that they will play on my ML unit. But the mp3s are converted (into some other format?) and you can't get 4.7gb/4mb(avg) songs per disc.
Old 09-22-06, 05:08 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
But the mp3s are converted (into some other format?)
They are converted to AC3.
Old 09-23-06, 01:33 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TimboIS
They are converted to AC3.
How big is AC3 vs mp3?
Old 09-23-06, 03:31 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

I've only really put the ML system in my car to use if I'm ever out waiting for someone. I usually always have a DVD movie in there and fire it up while I wait. I have yet to try out a DVD-A out though.
Old 09-23-06, 06:05 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Technique
How big is AC3 vs mp3?
I have checked into it but I have a DVD with 20 or 30 songs on it that I play often (including the album art).
Old 09-29-06, 07:34 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Okay, because of all you guys going on and on about how good a DVD-A sounds, I broke down and bought myself one. To my dismay, when I put it in, it seems that the system did not recognize the disc. It loaded the disc, but would not play anything. I currently have a DVD-video and a CD with MP3's on it. On the display, it reads "DVD-V" for the DVD and "CD" on the second touch screen button. The one with the DVD-A in it does recognize that a disc is in there, but doesn't seem to play it. Am I doing something wrong??
Old 09-29-06, 08:58 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ecr527
Okay, because of all you guys going on and on about how good a DVD-A sounds, I broke down and bought myself one. To my dismay, when I put it in, it seems that the system did not recognize the disc. It loaded the disc, but would not play anything. I currently have a DVD-video and a CD with MP3's on it. On the display, it reads "DVD-V" for the DVD and "CD" on the second touch screen button. The one with the DVD-A in it does recognize that a disc is in there, but doesn't seem to play it. Am I doing something wrong??
Do you have the Nav/ML Combo package on your IS?
Old 10-01-06, 04:54 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Technique
Do you have the Nav/ML Combo package on your IS?
Yes, I do. I tried the disc out on my house DVD player just to make sure it wasn't the disc. It worked fine.
Old 10-01-06, 05:16 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another good source of DVD-A discs is .....

www.MusicDirect.com

I bought a turntable from them last year and the order went well so I ordered a few DVD-A discs over the weekend. I'd like to see how they sound. Problem is the whole super audio (SACD and DVD-A) thing is very poorly supported by the industry. It looks likes they will go the way of the four channel phase back in the 70's. Anybody of age back then would surely remember the competing battle between the SQ (Sony) and discrete (JVC) formats. They all went the way of the dinosaur and Betamax.
Old 10-07-06, 06:15 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Does anyone know if .mp4 (AAC) files will play from a DVD with the Nav/ML system?

If not, how do I convert my mp3's to AC3?
Old 10-07-06, 07:28 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Does anyone know if .mp4 (AAC) files will play from a DVD with the Nav/ML system?

If not, how do I convert my mp3's to AC3?
No and No. Just converting an audio file to AC3 won't do it. The disc has to have the right filesystem, catalog, etc to be recognized my the ML. You need proper DVD-A authoring software to make an audio only DVD. Or simply make a video DVD, as that type of software seems to be more commonplace.

Quick Reply: ML Owners: How often do you put it to good use?