IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ML Owners: How often do you put it to good use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-06, 08:07 PM
nights_
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kensteele, does the software you use to encode video to DVD work for Divx/Xvid videos?
Old 10-07-06, 08:36 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nights_
kensteele, does the software you use to encode video to DVD work for Divx/Xvid videos?
yes, I believe so (haven't tried an xvid). Do you have samples some place, I could try?
Old 10-07-06, 09:51 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default There is a limited selection of DVD-A out there..

and Dolby and DTS formats work with the Mark Levinson. SACD is not supported but will play in 2.1 on the conventional CD track. The system is able to play in 7.1 but most recording is in 6.1. There are many DVD movies that have excellent sound tracks of their own especially when it comes to sound effects. OMG when you play these at 80% volume you will be shocked at the impact on your eardrums...One of my favorites is in Minority Report when Tom Cruise is being chased down into the future Lexus factory and the kinetic blaster goes off and you feel it in your chest...You bought the 14 speakers and the VGA screen so download your favorites from Youtube and Myspace and burn 'em if you like....Tower Records has a pretty decent selection of DVD-A.

Rock
Old 10-07-06, 10:02 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
...download your favorites from Youtube and Myspace and burn 'em if you like...
Yeah, that will impress! I can't think of a more disappointing way to short-sell the capabilities of the DVD/ML system by showing low quality tripe like that. 99.9999% of the crap on those sites isn't worth the download bandwidth, let alone wasting ones time (or $0.20) burning on a DVD.
Old 10-07-06, 10:12 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default It's just the fastest growing phenomena on the web...

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Yeah, that will impress! I can't think of a more disappointing way to short-sell the capabilities of the DVD/ML system by showing low quality tripe like that. 99.9999% of the crap on those sites isn't worth the download bandwidth, let alone wasting ones time (or $0.20) burning on a DVD.
and it can be full of amateurish slapstick but that's why Jackass 2 is so popular. MP3's aren't the best audio fidelity either but they sure are portable and the IPOD is an ICON. I'm just expanding on the things you can do with your ML system that you can't do with a BMW....I prefer the DVD movies as the action surrounds you like the beginning of Gladiator. There are some video/DVD-A audio but you must be stopped with the handbrake on to watch. I only wish the format had more support and software...

Rock
Old 10-08-06, 09:36 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
and it can be full of amateurish slapstick but that's why Jackass 2 is so popular. MP3's aren't the best audio fidelity either but they sure are portable and the IPOD is an ICON. I'm just expanding on the things you can do with your ML system that you can't do with a BMW....I prefer the DVD movies as the action surrounds you like the beginning of Gladiator. There are some video/DVD-A audio but you must be stopped with the handbrake on to watch. I only wish the format had more support and software...

Rock
I'm almost certain more people perceive a bigger difference between proper NTSC video and QCIF videos as found on those sites, than between audio such MP3 and WAV audio. MP3 is certainly acceptable (as proven by the market). Too bad for you that you can't get YouTube on your TV through your cable provider. I'm sure you'd enjoy watching 176 x 120 pixel videos on the big screen.
Old 10-10-06, 12:25 PM
tgara
Pole Position

I listen to AM talkradio 99% of the time, so paying for the Levenstein system would be a waste of money and equipment for me.
Old 10-10-06, 01:10 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tgara
I listen to AM talkradio 99% of the time, so paying for the Levenstein system would be a waste of money and equipment for me.
It the "Levenstein system" a special option for Jewish owners instead of the Mark Levinson system?
Old 10-11-06, 09:33 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

To the person who asked about the relative size of AC3 versus mp3, it depends on the sampling frequency, but at the same sampling frequency the AC3 ( 6 channel 5.1)will be a little more than twice that of a mp3 (two channel) just estimating from files I have here on my computer.

DTS audio has been around for a fairly long time. An entire list of prerecorded DTS audio media is at dtsonline.com.

Burning audio (AC3, DTS) tracks from a DVD onto a CD-r would be just about the only way for the non-NAV Lexus owner to get the full benefit of the ML system, that or buying the DTS audio ones. Surround music never really caught on, outside of a very narrow slice of the audiophile crowd.
Old 10-11-06, 10:25 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CRB
To the person who asked about the relative size of AC3 versus mp3, it depends on the sampling frequency, but at the same sampling frequency the AC3 ( 6 channel 5.1)will be a little more than twice that of a mp3 (two channel) just estimating from files I have here on my computer.
Hmmmm, then we could burn tons of ac3 files to a DVD and play them, instead of mp3 audio on CDR.

Let's say an average mp3 is 5 megs:

1 mp3 song = 5 megs
1 ac3 song = 10 megs

1 CDR holds 700 megs = 140 mp3 songs
1 DVDR DL holds 8500 megs = 850 ac3 songs

So, if we can burn ac3 to DVD and have the ML system play the audio, that's MUCH better, for me anyways, to have 850 songs per disc instead of 140 mp3 songs per disc.

Thoughts?
Old 10-11-06, 11:07 AM
knuckles
Driver School Candidate

It the "Levenstein system" a special option for Jewish owners instead of the Mark Levinson system?

AAHHHHH HAHAHAHAHA
Old 10-11-06, 11:15 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Technique
Hmmmm, then we could burn tons of ac3 files to a DVD and play them, instead of mp3 audio on CDR.

Let's say an average mp3 is 5 megs:

1 mp3 song = 5 megs
1 ac3 song = 10 megs

1 CDR holds 700 megs = 140 mp3 songs
1 DVDR DL holds 8500 megs = 850 ac3 songs

So, if we can burn ac3 to DVD and have the ML system play the audio, that's MUCH better, for me anyways, to have 850 songs per disc instead of 140 mp3 songs per disc.

Thoughts?

It sounds about right but I'm not sure that professionally mixed 5.1 AC3 audio is something that is easy to come by.

If you are talking about ripping songs as mp3 and then converting those to AC3 (stereo) or creating a psuedo-surround AC3 (5.1) mix out of it, I'm not sure what the quality would be like with a double conversion like that, but I doubt it would WOW anybody.

I think it would be difficult to pull together 850 true studio mixed AC3(5.1) audio tracks that you would want to listen to. The only source for them are DVD soundtracks (that usually have other non-music sounds in the mix), network HDTV soundtracks ( fifteen hours of American Idol anyone....aaAAhHHHH!) and hmmm not much else really. Most of the surround audio out there is SACD (which ML can't handle) and DVD-A (which ML can handle) and a bit of DTS audio, but there isn't even a whole lot of that. But this idea of burning some AC3 (5.1) on a CD-r is a way for non-NAV ML owners (yes, all two of you ) to show off your surround capabilities.

Last edited by CRB; 10-11-06 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-11-06, 11:24 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CRB
It sounds about right but I'm not sure that professionally mixed 5.1 AC3 audio is something that is easy to come by. If you are talking about ripping mp3 and then converting those to AC3 (stereo) or creating a bogus AC3 (5.1) mix out of it, I'm not sure what the quality would be like with a double conversion like that. I doubt you could pull together 850 true studio mixed AC3(5.1) audio tracks that you would want to listen to. The only source for them are DVD soundtracks (that usually have other non-music sounds in the mix), network HDTV soundtracks ( fifteen hours of American Idol anyone....aaAAhHHHH!) and hmmm not much else really. Most of the surround audio out there is SACD (which ML can't handle) and DVD-A (which ML can handle) and a bit of DTS audio, but there isn't even a whole lot of that. But this idea of burning some AC3 (5.1) on a CD-r is a way for non-NAV ML owners (yes, all two of you ) to show off your surround capabilities.
I was thinking of converting mp3s to AC3. I think you can convert to Stereo AC3 (I'll check tonight in Sound Forge and report on the quality)
Old 10-11-06, 12:39 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Excuse me for being a noob, but you can play DVD movies on the Nav system screen?? How? Any special hacks needed?
Old 10-11-06, 12:48 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Buds
Excuse me for being a noob, but you can play DVD movies on the Nav system screen?? How? Any special hacks needed?
You need Nav + Mark Levinson. Nav alone cannot play DVDs.

Quick Reply: ML Owners: How often do you put it to good use?