IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ML Owners: How often do you put it to good use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-06, 01:19 PM
Buds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
You need Nav + Mark Levinson. Nav alone cannot play DVDs.
Gotcha, so technically if I had Nav + ML then all I would need to do is insert a DVD and I'm ready to go?
Old 10-11-06, 01:22 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Buds
Gotcha, so technically if I had Nav + ML then all I would need to do is insert a DVD and I'm ready to go?
Yes. Keep in mind there is a safety feature which requires the car to be in park and the emergency brake engaged. This can be bypassed (thereby enabling the ability to watch movies while the car is moving) by removing the nav unit and splicing/grounding some wires.
Old 10-11-06, 06:27 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

I was thinking of converting mp3s to AC3. I think you can convert to Stereo AC3 (I'll check tonight in Sound Forge and report on the quality)
I converted an mp3 into 2/0 (stereo) AC3... The compression ratio was 1:1 (ac3 was the same size as the mp3), but the sound quality was noticeably lower. I raised the bitrates, etc, and got about the same sound quality into an ac3 file that was twice as good. So, anyway, 850 ac3 songs on a Dual Layer DVD... Not bad... I just wonder what the navigation structure would be like, since each title can only have 99 chapters... Maybe have to make a title per "CD"???
Old 10-11-06, 07:21 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I raised the bitrates, etc, and got about the same sound quality into an ac3 file that was twice as good.
Huh?!? Seems like a huge waste of effort and time converting MP3 to AC3. You're fooling yourself if you think you're getting better quality by increasing bitrates of the conversion. Garbage in, garbage out.
Old 10-11-06, 07:26 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Huh?!? Seems like a huge waste of effort and time converting MP3 to AC3. You're fooling yourself if you think you're getting better quality by increasing bitrates of the conversion. Garbage in, garbage out.
Dude, read the thread before you post.

Summary (for the reading impared ) -

1) I want to burn mp3s to DVD
2) The ML system cannot read mp3s on DVD
3) The ML system CAN read ac3 on DVD

Hence the reason why I burned ac3 to DVD. To fit 850 songs on a single disc (DVD), instead of just 150 songs on a single disc (CD).
Old 10-11-06, 08:10 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Dude, read the thread before you post.

Summary (for the reading impared ) -

1) I want to burn mp3s to DVD
2) The ML system cannot read mp3s on DVD
3) The ML system CAN read ac3 on DVD

Hence the reason why I burned ac3 to DVD. To fit 850 songs on a single disc (DVD), instead of just 150 songs on a single disc (CD).
Well for the IS impaired. I have an iPod, that's why it's a huge waste of time. Why settle for 850 songs, when you can have 10,000 songs in higher quality.

I guess my point is, whay are converting MP3s to AC3. Why not convert the original sources to AC3. Unless all YOU have is bootlegs.

Last edited by TimboIS; 10-11-06 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-11-06, 08:24 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

I can read and I have an iPod, that's why it's a huge waste of time. Why settle for 850 songs, when you can have 10,000 songs in higher quality. Especially from someone that actually has an IS.

I guess my point is, whay are converting MP3s to AC3. Why not convert the original sources to AC3. Unless all YOU have is bootlegs.
I don't have an iPod.

As for the converting, all of my mp3s are 256kbps, high quality rips from the original CDs. But only have maybe 4-5 of the original CDs left...

But, even if I had the original CDs, the last thing I'd want to do is re-rip 100s of CDs... Much easier to do a batch convert of mp3 to ac3.
Old 10-12-06, 12:33 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Well for the IS impaired. I have an iPod, that's why it's a huge waste of time. Why settle for 850 songs, when you can have 10,000 songs in higher quality.

although i have an ipod, i like using the big nav screen, hell i paid for it!
Old 10-12-06, 02:08 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Wow, I bought a DVD-Audio disk today just to check it out on the ML. Very, very nice. They only had a couple dozen different astist so not much of a selection. I got Santana and the police. The Santana disk sounds incrediable. DVD-A's seem to pretty much kick ***. It sounds so much freakin better than what comes out of the IPOD or a CD for that matter.
Old 10-12-06, 04:45 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by golfproatl
Wow, I bought a DVD-Audio disk today just to check it out on the ML. Very, very nice. They only had a couple dozen different astist so not much of a selection. I got Santana and the police. The Santana disk sounds incrediable. DVD-A's seem to pretty much kick ***. It sounds so much freakin better than what comes out of the IPOD or a CD for that matter.
which santana album was it?
Old 10-12-06, 04:58 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kensteele
which santana album was it?
Supernatural
Old 12-02-06, 04:53 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by golfproatl
Supernatural
got it. inserted the dvd-a expecting to hear some awesome sounds....nothing. it won't play at all in my ml player, am i doing something wrong?
Old 12-03-06, 12:30 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The ML does not recognise MP3s written to DVD. Already tried it a number of ways, and it does not work for me. There is also an existing thread about this, but I don't recall the title.
I've heard it has been done. I too need to keep searching for the thread, but I believe there is a software that converts mp3s into "AC-3" format which is what DVDs use.

Also, unrelated but is there a way to burn dvd-a information onto a dvd disc!?
Old 12-03-06, 12:38 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

got it. inserted the dvd-a expecting to hear some awesome sounds....nothing. it won't play at all in my ml player, am i doing something wrong?
Oh NOOOO! Keep us posted!
Old 12-03-06, 09:08 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The ML system should recognize it and show the disc as 'DVD-A' and play it as like any disc. Perhaps the disc is defective? Not unheard of....

Quick Reply: ML Owners: How often do you put it to good use?