IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Former Bimmerphile considering IS350

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-06, 10:16 PM
The Chad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Test drove a lux package IS350 and then immediately got back into my S2000 (saw you have that, so this comparison might help).

Normal driving, the Lexus didn't feel all that big, and more comfortable on the crappy northern Ohio roads compared to the S2000. However, I took an on-ramp onto the expressway rather quickly, and body roll is definitly evident compared to a car like the S.

The IS350 is only available in an automatic, and I found it quite competent and fairly responsive (was in ECT Power mode), and the system didn't feel "delayed" like a lot of throttle-by-wire systems feel like. I mean it's still an automatic, and you can still tell it's a computer controlled throttle, but it feels almost as responsive as the S. I drove an E46 //M3 manual and it works the same as it being in "Sport" mode.

Steering input felt like the S. It's not the same "connected" feel you get with a BMW, but neither is the S IMHO. Interior is way nicer than the new 3-series.

Just giving you another input on the IS comparing it to a car you own.
Old 09-23-06, 08:14 AM
dcs265
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The Chad
Test drove a lux package IS350 and then immediately got back into my S2000 (saw you have that, so this comparison might help).

Normal driving, the Lexus didn't feel all that big, and more comfortable on the crappy northern Ohio roads compared to the S2000. However, I took an on-ramp onto the expressway rather quickly, and body roll is definitly evident compared to a car like the S.

The IS350 is only available in an automatic, and I found it quite competent and fairly responsive (was in ECT Power mode), and the system didn't feel "delayed" like a lot of throttle-by-wire systems feel like. I mean it's still an automatic, and you can still tell it's a computer controlled throttle, but it feels almost as responsive as the S. I drove an E46 //M3 manual and it works the same as it being in "Sport" mode.

Steering input felt like the S. It's not the same "connected" feel you get with a BMW, but neither is the S IMHO. Interior is way nicer than the new 3-series.

Just giving you another input on the IS comparing it to a car you own.
thanks for the input.. the s is great and i know waht you mean about the steering not feeling as connected as a bimmer.. btw ap1 or ap2?

I think i might wait for the 2007... i have no huge rush to get a car, and the VDIM switch in 2007 is nice.. i think i am going to go with Lux/Navi and hopefully ML if it is such 'allotted'
Old 09-23-06, 08:16 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

07s are out so thats the only choice heh, definately get the ML
Old 09-23-06, 08:58 AM
XBimmer
Driver School Candidate

Default I was in your shoes...

I was coming from an E36 M3 and needed 4 doors. Drove EVERYTHING.

Short answer, I got the IS350/Sport/ML-NAV.

The BMW may still be a better "pure" drive, but I have not regretted getting a new Bimmer instead. I DO regret not getting the 4dr E36 M3 way back when so I could keep it, as the M3 is still a WAY better drive, but man, the Lexus is a sweet car.

Paddle shifting through the twisties in the Sierra Nevadas with that much HP/LbFt is a lot of fun, and in the luxo-shell of the Lexus.

BMW is getting their butts handed to them by the IS as far as I'm concerned. Why do you think they broke down after all these years and put a couple of turbos in the new coupe? Because of Lexus spanking them.

The new 3 series is too under powered, too heavy, and WAY too expensive when optioned out like the IS350.

I got my LOADED IS350 for $41K. BMW couldn't touch it.

I thought for sure I was going to have regrets buying a dyslexus as I used to call them, but I have NOT had any regrets, and it's just the opposite. I'm happy with my purchase.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-23-06, 09:40 AM
The Chad
Driver

Originally Posted by dcs265
thanks for the input.. the s is great and i know waht you mean about the steering not feeling as connected as a bimmer.. btw ap1 or ap2?
AP2

I think the Lexus is just as capable as the BMW in most situations. Not worth the price premium IMHO.
Old 09-23-06, 10:11 AM
linh811
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XBimmer
I was coming from an E36 M3 and needed 4 doors. Drove EVERYTHING.

Short answer, I got the IS350/Sport/ML-NAV.

The BMW may still be a better "pure" drive, but I have not regretted getting a new Bimmer instead. I DO regret not getting the 4dr E36 M3 way back when so I could keep it, as the M3 is still a WAY better drive, but man, the Lexus is a sweet car.

Paddle shifting through the twisties in the Sierra Nevadas with that much HP/LbFt is a lot of fun, and in the luxo-shell of the Lexus.

BMW is getting their butts handed to them by the IS as far as I'm concerned. Why do you think they broke down after all these years and put a couple of turbos in the new coupe? Because of Lexus spanking them.

The new 3 series is too under powered, too heavy, and WAY too expensive when optioned out like the IS350.

I got my LOADED IS350 for $41K. BMW couldn't touch it.

I thought for sure I was going to have regrets buying a dyslexus as I used to call them, but I have NOT had any regrets, and it's just the opposite. I'm happy with my purchase.

Hope that helps.
I think it was actually Nissan's 3.5L VQ that drove up the horsepower. G35's were running around with close to 300hp while IS300s were closer to 200hp and 330's with around 250hp. This was 2 years ago, it's only last year that Lexus got itself a comparable motor, and this year that BMW followed.
Old 09-23-06, 11:39 AM
rt350
Rookie

Is350 interior is so much nicer. The navigation is great on the IS as well as the ML sound system. Things that drove me nuts on the BMW 330 was that dinging sound everytime the door is open, the interior smell, and the 1980 amber interior instrument lights. In addition, these cars are a dime a dozen. I see so many 3 and 5 series on the road, they all look the same.
Old 09-23-06, 12:02 PM
Swordfish
Rookie

i'm actually leaning towards the 335i coupe. From a leasing standpoint, it is a better deal. The only turnoff I really have is the boring interior compared to the IS350. I love the gadgets and clean look in the is350 aluminum trim.

I have until mid october to make my mind up.. never owned a bmw or lexus...so i only know what i read and test drive.
Old 09-23-06, 03:35 PM
Oaktown350
Driver School Candidate

Default There's always some compromise

Comparing leases, BMW wins hands down. When comparing the payments to buy and their lease payments they're almost giving the cars away. It also seems like the 335 is just the "new" hot thing for the moment like the IS 350 was the "hot" thing last year. Comparing the '06 BMW 330 to the '06 350, the 350 won for me. Believe me, I got a lot more bells and whistles then I was planning on. The rearview camera, ventilated seats, and the ML sound. I still light up when the doors sills light up; nice touch Lexus.

The biggest compromise I gave up was the manual, which I actually miss. Sequential's cool, but I never really have control. If you buy which I did, Lexus pricing is a lot better. I got mine for a little under 42k fully loaded with everything except pdc and pcs. The BMW was full of compromises, only the sports package and comfort access. I second guess my decision from time to time by not waiting for the coupe. Not the 335, I'm not a turbo person or speed demon. The IS 350 is nice, but I could have been just as happy if the IS 250 had 30 more horsepower with the manual. As far as the '06 330, I would have been really upset to wait for a redesign after 6 years and BMW dropping an upgrade the first year. I'm surprised more 330 owners aren't more upset. Basically get what works for you.

Neither BMW or Lexus is dropping any cash in my pocket to persuade you. The compromise for me was giving up the manual. For me, the new 2 door 3 series coupe is first for the exterior, the Lexus IS a close second, and a far third the four door BMW 3 series. Interior, Lexus trumps BMW hands down. In addition, Lexus is a better value and proven to be more reliable. I'm a victim of the new "hot" things myself. I like the the BMW 2 door styling. At the same time I remember having interior issues with my '01 325 ranging from the sunroof squeeking, door trim coming unglued flapping in the wind like a Yugo, and stereo issues. I haven't had any issues with the Lexus. In the end get what works for you and enjoy the ride. Writing this was also pretty good for me because I've considered the new 3 coupe which would be financial suicide, but now I realize what I will be giving up with my Lexus.

Last edited by Oaktown350; 09-23-06 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-23-06, 06:47 PM
Swordfish
Rookie

ya the lease deals for BMW are great..

As you said it comes down to a matter of preference now. I prefer the 2 door coupe at this point.

Both cars are great...