Former Bimmerphile considering IS350

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-06, 12:02 PM
dcs265
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Former Bimmerphile considering IS350

hey guys,

I just began to look at IS350s. I went to Lexus' website and priced a 2007 IS350. My primary concern is just the sport package, which adds options over the base IS350 and most importantly sport suspension (I am hoping this is infact different from the stock car). However, it is adding these options also:
-Lexus voice-activated DVD Navigation System
-Intuitive Parking Assist
-Headlamp washers

This comes out to msrp with dest to 43,265. However, I want to see the price for the car w/o any of those three options. Can I just get the Sport Package w/o any of those additional options? I was able to price this on carsdirect but not Lexus' own site. Also, is the sport suspension in the X package any different from the suspension in the Sport Package?

Thanks
Old 09-22-06, 12:04 PM
cspec
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sport suspension is a bit lower and stiffer from the stock car, and as I am Canadian, and the pricing is different, I can't really help you with the pricing, but I know that the X Package comes with a rear trunk spoiler and a front lip, and also these very nice wheels.

Cheers! And good luck with your purchase!
Old 09-22-06, 12:10 PM
acsan
Driver

The suspension is the same for either the sport or x package.
Old 09-22-06, 12:18 PM
dcs265
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the responses...

is it only springs and shocks that are different? i.e. if i got luxury package and got coilovers it would be better? seems liek sport package has relatiely low availabilty according to the dealer
Old 09-22-06, 12:24 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hi, and welcome

building your lexus on the website only comes up w/ available cars in your region (but no dealer info on where it's at, and no color info).

if you don't find what your looking for, you can always do a special order which takes about 4 months door to door. the way you can price it out is go to the Price/Options page on the website for the IS and just add up the individual options you like to determine the price.
Old 09-22-06, 12:24 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcs265
thanks for the responses...

is it only springs and shocks that are different? i.e. if i got luxury package and got coilovers it would be better? seems liek sport package has relatiely low availabilty according to the dealer
I would get luxury and then add coilovers. The sport package doesn't make enough of an appearance difference for me.
Old 09-22-06, 12:48 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you're probably better off special ordering if you really want specifics. just talk to dealers in the area to see what they can do. i don't think you'd be disappointed with the lux package and depending on how much you want to mod your car, it might be better off for you to get aftermarket coils or springs. whatever you do, good luck with your purchase and hopefully you'll be part of the lexus family soon!
Old 09-22-06, 12:57 PM
eddo1
Driver

dcs265, coming from an 95 M3 and 01 325i (non-sport), the IS350 doesn't have the "feel" of either BMWs. I think the spring rate on the sport suspension is rather set too high, there is a lot of jiggling over irregularities - sort of like the M3. This is to the point that I'm not really comfortable resting my head on the headrest. But this seems to have improved a bit as the miles rack up (now about 2000 miles) But unlike the M3, there is still quite a bit of body roll. I think the springs are shorter, but I read somewhere that the shocks are the same and the anti-roll bars are the same - I might be wrong though. Search the forum, there are a few threads about this. However, I love my IS, there is no way I'm going back to BMW unless they fix the interior and other "common" issues with their cars
Old 09-22-06, 01:43 PM
dcs265
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eddo1
dcs265, coming from an 95 M3 and 01 325i (non-sport), the IS350 doesn't have the "feel" of either BMWs. I think the spring rate on the sport suspension is rather set too high, there is a lot of jiggling over irregularities - sort of like the M3. This is to the point that I'm not really comfortable resting my head on the headrest. But this seems to have improved a bit as the miles rack up (now about 2000 miles) But unlike the M3, there is still quite a bit of body roll. I think the springs are shorter, but I read somewhere that the shocks are the same and the anti-roll bars are the same - I might be wrong though. Search the forum, there are a few threads about this. However, I love my IS, there is no way I'm going back to BMW unless they fix the interior and other "common" issues with their cars
i told myself i wouldn't go back to BMW unless it was an M, but then again for the price of an M3 i coudl ALMOST get a Cayman.. anyway, blowing engines and rear main seal issues aside, I need to go drive the sport and luxury back to back.. if the shocks/springs are the only diff and sways/antirollbars are the same, then luxury vs sport won't really matter.. i just need a somewhat exciting and very comfortable., reliable daily driver

for the weekends, i have my honda s2000
Old 09-22-06, 01:57 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Something else to consider when buying your car is that Sport package comes with the "aluminum" trim on the interior. Otherwise, with premium or luxury package, you get the wood trim...
Old 09-22-06, 03:40 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dcs265
i told myself i wouldn't go back to BMW unless it was an M, but then again for the price of an M3 i coudl ALMOST get a Cayman.. anyway, blowing engines and rear main seal issues aside, I need to go drive the sport and luxury back to back.. if the shocks/springs are the only diff and sways/antirollbars are the same, then luxury vs sport won't really matter.. i just need a somewhat exciting and very comfortable., reliable daily driver

for the weekends, i have my honda s2000
Then the IS350 is your car!!

Like what was just said, the sport and lux ride difference is minimal. Suspension mod on either model will be a better choice if "better handling" is real important to you. This car does handle very well BTW!
I went with the Lux package as I do not care for the aluminum trim and footplates on the sport package.

I have a 325I as well and it is no contest between those two. Give me the Lexus all day long! Although my wife still thinks the BMW is just as nice. You BMW'ers are hard to change
Old 09-22-06, 04:28 PM
eddo1
Driver

Doesn't matter very much between the sport and lux. I think the luxury package is probably better and then you can change the susp as you like later. By the way, the aluminum trim? It's just the silver plastic stuff that comes on the base IS. It's not real aluminum like the BMW. As a daily driver, just the base IS350 with maybe xenons will do great!
Old 09-22-06, 05:10 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if you are into audio i would recommend the mark levinson system, one of the best stock systems you can get. If you get both ML and Nav you can play DVD audio discs and watch DVD movies in the car while parked (with a hack you can do it when the car is moving)

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-22-06 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-22-06, 07:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Sport suspension = 10mm lower ride height using different springs and shocks. Same sways, and still no adjustability.

I bought the lux package mainly for the wood trim, HIDs, and summer tires. The stock suspension is pretty good most of the time. There are a few types of road surfaces it does not like at all. I can get far better shocks and springs from the aftermarket if I really need them.
Old 09-22-06, 07:53 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

you may want to consider aftermarket suspension.. several quality jdm ones are availiable.

Quick Reply: Former Bimmerphile considering IS350