Do 2IS look like Scion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-06, 08:27 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do 2IS look like Scion?

What do you think?.............

A stranger at the market came up to me today and said, " I love your car, it's a Scion right? I'm considering buying one for my son. How much did you paid, $18,000?"

GRRRRR Finally told her it's an upscale Toyota....didn't tell her it's a Lexus (don't want to shock her)......then drove off.

Personally, I think the Scion is a great looking car, but it never crossed my mind that it closely resembles the 2IS until this lady mentioned it.
Old 09-22-06, 08:29 PM
shox
Pole Position

If you don't look close, from a far the shape might give it a Scion appearance but if she was talking to you, she's an idiot! One thing is, we have 2 more doors than a tC. Second, NOTHING IS THE SAME!!! Only the shape of the body, but that's it, the headlights, tail lights, grill, wheels, NUMBER OF DOORS, etc.

She's not quite with it IMO
Old 09-22-06, 08:33 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

After her comment, my first thought was being an idiot for paying close to $40K for a Scion look-a-like.
Old 09-22-06, 08:33 PM
vcept
Driver School Candidate

you should have slapped her for insulting your car..
Old 09-22-06, 08:49 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

She must have not been wearing her prescription glasses...there's no way our 2nd Gen IS looks anything like a Scion...I would've told her its a Lexus, but then she still might have not gotten the clue...
Old 09-22-06, 08:58 PM
x_kage_x
Driver School Candidate

This is the first time I've heard anyone else mention this...but quite often I'll catch a Scion out of the corner of my eye and think its a 2IS.

I've mentioned it to a couple of people, and no one else sees it, but I tell them there is something about that car that looks like mine.

I had considered posting here and asking if anyone else had done the same, but didn't want to get berated...nice to know at least one person out there is as crazy as I.
Old 09-22-06, 09:19 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new CL looks like a Scion.
Old 09-22-06, 09:27 PM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by x_kage_x
This is the first time I've heard anyone else mention this...but quite often I'll catch a Scion out of the corner of my eye and think its a 2IS.

I've mentioned it to a couple of people, and no one else sees it, but I tell them there is something about that car that looks like mine.

I had considered posting here and asking if anyone else had done the same, but didn't want to get berated...nice to know at least one person out there is as crazy as I.

No, I don't think you're crazy. Lets make that 3 people. I kind of thought the same too........seeing more than a dozen tc a day on the hwy. But never let myself to believe that the tc and 2IS look somewhat similar until this lady told me how good my "Scion" looks. Maybe its the size and lack of side molding. I don't even notice the 2 dr versus 4 dr. unless I look closely.
Old 09-22-06, 09:28 PM
IS250HuNnY
Lead Lap

but quite often I'll catch a Scion out of the corner of my eye and think its a 2IS.
hahah me too i dunno wut it is but i sometimes mistaken the tcs too
Old 09-22-06, 09:32 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, don't take it as an offense. Sometimes the people that make those comments are not very knowledgeable about cars. As an example, one time I was back in PR with my fully modded 1994 Toyota Corolla and went to a video shop to rent some videos. As I'm going out a guy who appears to be in his 50's asks me, hey that's a nice car, Is that the new Honda Accord? and this happened in 2002!!! Granted, I've taken good care of my Corolla, so it still looks new, but c'mon there's no way my car looks like a 2002 Honda Accord.

Some other people (even young guys) have confused my Corolla with a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Acura, Infiniti, etc... it seems unbelievable to us car freaks, but it's just that there's people out there who don't pay too much attention to cars.
Old 09-22-06, 09:37 PM
yov6cam
Driver

why should we care about people who can't even tell a scion from a IS, they just won't get it. IT's like trying to explain to someone who can't tell a regular 325 to a M3, don't bother.
Old 09-22-06, 09:38 PM
flyfl1pguy

Nope it doesn't look like a Scion to me.
Old 09-22-06, 10:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,978 Likes on 2,406 Posts

I own 2 Scion tCs right now (one is for sale) and yes, I think there is a family kind of resemblance. Especially from the front. And I guarantee you, my tC with Tein SS-Ps, Hotchkis sways, and 245/40/17s on 8.5" rims will give an ISx50 a serious run for the money in tight quarters despite having FWD. I'd be happy to prove it, but I've returned the car to stock for sale and sold all the suspension pieces.

Most people have no clue about cars. They're lucky to even figure out the brand, much less the model. If you're happy with your car, what does it matter what someone else thinks?
Old 09-22-06, 11:06 PM
AlterZgo
Driver

Pssst... You're not crazy. MANY people think the IS looks like a Scion tc. Nothing wrong about that. They're both nice looking cars.

Think about it. A $30K MBZ C230 looks like a $130K MBZ S600. No big deal. It's familial resemblance.

Those who feel offended by this need to gain a little bit of self esteem and not let their car define who they are.
Old 09-22-06, 11:16 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Default PICS. Mine and theirs

There are similarities, but...

Quick Reply: Do 2IS look like Scion?