IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bent Volk Progressiv ME, ...a wheel story

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-06, 12:39 PM
glilly
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Volk Progressiv ME, ...a wheel story

So it's been awhile since i've posted. (Still waiting to take the car in for that leather issue, but been too busy with car shows). Anyway, as most of ya'll know, I'm one of many with the Volk ME set-up, however, I chose to go with the 19x8 (most have gone with the 19x8.5) in the front because they were in-stock and I avoided the 3-4 month wait. When I ordered them, Mackin said they looked exactly the same. Skip forward a bit, ...when Discount Tire mounted the rims, they damaged the lug holes on both front rims. I complained and they ordered me a new set. I actually became content with the wheels, mostly because I was too lazy to go in for the swap. But, one Friday I pulled too close to a curb at the bank's drive-thru and lightly grazed the rim while turning to pull out. I thought, well now's a good tme for the swap. It was like getting a free "get a new rim" card. So discount swaps the rims and I have 4 perfect wheels. Fast forward to last Thursday, as I leave Lexus for the 5k service, i'm meeting some friends at my shop to head 1000 miles to Atlanta for Nopi Nationals, I hit a pothole on the freeway "BAM". I pull over, check the rim, and yes, it's bent. So I head to Discount (near my shop) and have them look at it, they say it's only cosmetic and will hold air. I do ask if my old rims were still there (just in case), ..yes they were. So I meet my friends and we head off to Atlanta, 3 hours into the trip, "bing" the TPMS light comes on. 22psi. Soooo, ...I call Discount back, end up paying $400 for one of the old wheels, wife overnights it to the hotel. I did find a Discount to put some beadlock goo in the bend to hold air temporarily. Next day I end up at the only place I can find that can handle a 19" rim, they damage the lug area even more, and basically destroyed the wheel taking the tire off. So now I have a heavily scratched and bent spare rim, a good rim and a rim with medium scraches in the lug holes. Fast forward again, ...i'm at the car show and see a Scion tC with 19x8.5 ME's, ...they are a bit different, ...very mininal, but I can notice. So I think i'll buy back the 2nd wheel at Discount if they'll offer it up at a cheap price, ...they did (got it for $200) - however, it's the one that has a very minor curb rash. Ok, end of the story, I promise... So now I have (4) 19x8's, 2 that need repair and repaint, but I know it's gonna be hard to match Volk Mercury Silver, so should I have all 4 repaired and repainted, buy the 19x8.5's and sell the 19x8's as a set? ...or just be content, not spend anymore $$$ and keep the wheel (with minor rash) as spare and the bent one as a souvenier?

Sorry for the long story, but I had to get it of my chest. and yes, these wheels bend easily (or so I believe).

Thanks for reading, ...oh and here's a pic of the car at Nopi Nationals (because everyone love a thread with pics) ...sorry no pics of the damaged wheel, unless you request it. I displayed for BF Goodrich as part of my sponsorship, didn't compete, ...just there for fun.

Greg

Old 09-24-06, 02:39 PM
bobjackson
Driver School Candidate

wow...i would say try not to sink more $$$ than you already have. good luck with whatever you decide though.

and is that zerin's A4 in the background?
Old 09-24-06, 02:55 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

please post pics of the wheel if you have them...i am thinking about getting these wheels
Old 09-24-06, 03:00 PM
glilly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bobjackson
wow...i would say try not to sink more $$$ than you already have. good luck with whatever you decide though.

and is that zerin's A4 in the background?
Sure is!! you know him? We drove up together.

Actually, I blame him for some of the additional wheel problems. if we hadn't stopped by APR in Auburn to have his ECU re-flashed and buy his new exhaust, I wouldn't have been referred to the wheel shop who messed up the wheel.

j/k **** happens.
Old 09-24-06, 03:05 PM
glilly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by james6290
please post pics of the wheel if you have them...i am thinking about getting these wheels
I don't have any pics of the damaged wheel on hand. I'll snap a few tommorrow at the shop. Are you thinking about new ones, or mine as used ones? Just FYI - if i do decide to sell them as a set, you'd be getting a full set of repaired and repainted 19x8's (not staggered, obviously). But this would work well on a 250/AWD.

Greg
Old 09-24-06, 03:10 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glilly
I don't have any pics of the damaged wheel on hand. I'll snap a few tommorrow at the shop. Are you thinking about new ones, or mine as used ones? Just FYI - if i do decide to sell them as a set, you'd be getting a full set of repaired and repainted 19x8's (not staggered, obviously). But this would work well on a 250/AWD.

Greg
Probably new, unless the repair was amazing to go along with an amazing price, why, are you selling them?
Old 09-24-06, 03:26 PM
bobjackson
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by glilly
Sure is!! you know him? We drove up together.

Actually, I blame him for some of the additional wheel problems. if we hadn't stopped by APR in Auburn to have his ECU re-flashed and buy his new exhaust, I wouldn't have been referred to the wheel shop who messed up the wheel.

j/k **** happens.

ya, but haven't talked to him in a long while. i used to own/drive an audi and we had a pretty good houston crowd.
Old 09-25-06, 08:54 AM
glilly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by james6290
Probably new, unless the repair was amazing to go along with an amazing price, why, are you selling them?
I'm too damn meticulous about my rims, ...now that a couple are scratched, and one needs repair, I've thought about repainting and repairing all to "like new" condition and selling as a set. ...I think this is would be the oinly way to have the paint match properly, ...once sold, i'd order two more "new" for myself in 19x8.5.

still just thinking, as my minds works in weird ways.

Greg
Old 10-04-06, 11:45 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Bent Volk Progressiv ME, ...a wheel story

Hello Greg,

I read your post and it sounds like you are very passionate about your wheels and that anything shy of perfection will NOT sit well with you. That said, I think you should see the wheels and get new ones so that you, Greg, will be satisfied.

Now, I just hope your wife/girlfriend understands as far as $$$ goes.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!
Old 10-04-06, 12:34 PM
silversx
Driver

how deep was the pothole to bend your rim.. how many inches deep.. was it a common type of potholes you see everywhere or a real big sh&thole

theres potholes and imperfections here everywhere in socal.. which makes me want to just stick with the stock 18s.. no sense in upgrading to another 18.. and 19 will get destroyed easy