IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

dumb nav

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06 | 09:06 AM
Pwyll
Driver

My biggest complaint is that very often, the NAV tells me there is "no such street" address, when I know the address and the people have been living there for years. I would say 50% of the time, I get the "no such street address" memo....anyone else?
Old 09-28-06 | 09:16 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pwyll
My biggest complaint is that very often, the NAV tells me there is "no such street" address, when I know the address and the people have been living there for years. I would say 50% of the time, I get the "no such street address" memo....anyone else?
That has never happened to me...
Old 09-28-06 | 10:08 AM
rys
Pole Position

Generally this is an error as a result of semantics, like the difference between "N Brand Ave" and "Brand Ave" for instance. I agree, this is an annoyance - If you wanted to check which address the system uses (you will need to actually be at the location), you can define a memory point and the system should save a street address as well.

Also, you can search by phone number or name (for businesses).

-Brian
Old 09-28-06 | 12:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I don't get it that often, but I have found some roads I think should be in the database that are not. When they are not, they show up in light blue on the screen and you get a warning that turn by turn directions are not available for the road. If you try to enter the address for this kind of road, it will error out and tell you the address doesn't exist. I discovered this while trying to enter the address for Holt Equipment (a Caterpillar dealer) in Pleasant Grove, CA. They've been there for more than 10 years, but the road they are on isn't in the nav's database in a way that allows me to enter any address on it.

Once I got there and asked the nav to plot a course home, it warned me about the road and the turn by turn directions not being available, but still charted the course and started the turn by turn as soon as I got to a road in the normal darker blue. At least it still has full warp capability even on unknown roads.
Old 09-28-06 | 02:25 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

In my opinion, people seem to be way too dependent on the NAV system. I know, for myself, that I get lost ALL THE TIME, so I tend to use it a lot. But if you're using it to guide you to a destination that you know how to get to, don't get pissed off if it tells you a different way to get there. Just go your normal route, if you so choose, and let the NAV re-route itself. I do it all the time, and it re-routes in seconds.

I always drive from Orange County to Santa Barbara and vice-versa so it always wants me to take the I-5 because it's faster, and somehow it ends up in most of the 3 routes it calculates for me. So instead I just drive the way I want, which is through the 60 to the 101, and it re-routes by itself.

Just use your own judgement... it's not like the NAV chick talking to you is going to get mad if you don't follow what she says. My friends always ask if she gets pissed off when I keep missing my turns (which I do a lot). Luckily the NAV doesnt. Could you imagine if she said, "FOCUS, dumbass, and listen to what I'm saying. Now make a U-turn".
Old 09-28-06 | 04:34 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I use it because I have the ETA setting showing arrival time, not how much longer it will be to destination. It helps me a lot when I have an appointment and I know I'll arrive either with some cushion, or with no cushion at all, and I need to pick up the pace if I'm going to be anywhere close to on time. It helps a bit when you call the client and say, "I'm expecting to arrive at XX:XX." You don't sound quite so clueless.