IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tires won't break loose from a stop

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 04:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,052 Likes on 2,455 Posts

I've had the joy of sharing (on occasion) a Toyota with ECTi. If one driver is not aggressive and the other is, it's a PITA for the driver with less seat time. In my case, it's me.

Yes, they do learn continuously, but just like seeing your mpg go up towards the end of the tank, the more time it has with a particular style, the more you have to coerce it to get it to come over to the dark side.

The point in my post was, if you don't want to lose everything else like your station presets and nav preferences, don't disconnect the cable, just pull the fuses as prescribed in the service manual, and you'll have the factory preset initial settings and a blank canvas for learning how you drive. If your style is significantly different from the learned profile, it will adapt to you much more quickly.
Old 09-28-06, 04:31 PM
06i
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I've had the joy of sharing (on occasion) a Toyota with ECTi. If one driver is not aggressive and the other is, it's a PITA for the driver with less seat time. In my case, it's me.

Yes, they do learn continuously, but just like seeing your mpg go up towards the end of the tank, the more time it has with a particular style, the more you have to coerce it to get it to come over to the dark side.

The point in my post was, if you don't want to lose everything else like your station presets and nav preferences, don't disconnect the cable, just pull the fuses as prescribed in the service manual, and you'll have the factory preset initial settings and a blank canvas for learning how you drive. If your style is significantly different from the learned profile, it will adapt to you much more quickly.
i c i c... reason being, i babied it during break in, and now drive a bit more aggressive. and don't want to have to pull fuses if it will eventually learn my style
Old 10-13-06, 01:24 PM
Tuxlex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That's a bit excessive. Here's what Lexus says:

If you just pull the fuses, you won't lose any of your other stored settings like radio presets, and navigation information. Yes, you will lose ALL your nav stuff if you remove power from the unit. AMHIK.
So where are these two fuses that Lexus say's to pull.

Your post say's to pull the EFI and ETCS fuses from the Engine Room
No. 2 relay block, junction block located inside the engine
compartment.

Is this the fuse box in front of the battery.
I don't see any labeling for EFI, ETCS, or Relay 2 in there.

If this works, I'll permanently wire a relay to them to automaticaly
discconnect them when the ignition is turned off. Hey, not elegant
but if it works it will use my driving habits of the day.
Old 10-13-06, 01:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,052 Likes on 2,455 Posts

This "relay block #2" is the box on the driver's side just in front of the shock tower.

The EFI fuse is the 25 amp fuse next to the 20 amp fuse at the front of box (front of car orientation), and the ECTS fuse is the 10 amp toward the back on the right, third from the back.

The locations might be silkscreened onto the cover. I haven't looked at it myself yet, but the locations are from the factory EWD.
Old 10-13-06, 06:32 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ability to break the tires loose from a rest depends on so many things. Surface type, tire condition, temperature, etc. has been mentioned, but there are plenty of others. Air pressure, camber, toe-in, spring rates, engine break-in, and heat soak can also have an impact.