IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer put 18 miles on my car installing spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 07:42 PM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer put 18 miles on my car installing spoiler?

Had the factory spoiler installed today at the stealership. I made a note of the mileage when I dropped it off last night and when I picked it up this afternoon, they had rolled off 18 miles. I was in a mad hurry for another appt. so I didn't have time to go back in and question them. Should I complain? I can understand maybe if they subbed the work out and had to send my car somewhere else but I know they had the spoiler in stock. Also, whoever drove it, parked it under a mesquite tree because it was covered in that brown crap they always rain down. And then... I don't believe they even wiped off the surfaces before they installed the spoiler because I see the same undisturbed layer of dust extending all the way up to the spoiler edge. I asked them not to wash the car because I didn't want them scratching my new wheels running it through their automatic carwash. Am I just being too ****? It just seems like lack of attention/detail on their part.
Old 09-26-06, 07:53 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think you're being unreasonable. Installing a spoiler doesn't require a road test, and even it if did, it wouldn't require driving your car 18 miles. I've had this happen with a car before, and I was VERY upset. Call them on it. Based on this and the fact that they didn't apply the spoiler to a clean surface, I'd say this place sucks. Don't go back there.

Sometimes dealers treat cars in for service like rent-a-wrecks. To me, it's not much different than stealing a car and going for a joyride. Ask them for a clear explanation as to why this happened, and if they can't offer one, speak with the GM for the dealer. Don't let this go lightly...others have, and that's why it happened to you.

The only mistake you made was leaving without documenting this with someone. Unless your service receipt shows 18 miles difference between in/out mileage, its your word against whomever decided to take your car for a spin.
Old 09-26-06, 08:09 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they probably take it to a body shop for that. I now the 2 dealers around here have their own body shop.

Pohanka has a body shop about 1 mile away from it, and Lindsay has a bodyshop that is probably 10 miles away. so i dont know if you should be too worried
Old 09-26-06, 08:33 PM
WhoDat
Pole Position

A dealership like Lexus would not allow an employee take your car out for a curz drive...they are way too **** when it comes to getting the job done on time.
Old 09-26-06, 08:46 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

They probably had to take it out for several high speed passes to make sure the spoiler was doing its job without falling off.
Old 09-26-06, 08:56 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

They were checking the downforce pressure to the rear wheels during a few high speed passes.
Old 09-26-06, 09:12 PM
MeTrO
Driver

Got to get lunch somehow! McDonalds doesn't deliver.
Old 09-26-06, 09:49 PM
AZ IS350
Pole Position

I know I should have said something right away but I had to go. My service receipt shows mileage in/out as the same so they covered themselves nicely. I'm willing to accept that they had to take it to an offsite body shop but 18mi is excessive without at least mentioning it to me.

I've decided to take it back anyway. There's a large uneven gap where the spoiler sits on the trunk lid that I don't think should be there. Unless someone can post pics showing me the same gap on theirs.

My first time personally using this stealership for service and I'm disappointed. I've come to expect a higher level of service from Lexus. I'll give them a chance to straighten this out before I trash them publicly though.

um yeah... downforce testing... thorough service on their part. The back end kept getting away from me on the freeway anyway.
Old 09-26-06, 09:54 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

You're worried about 18 miles? The guys from my dealer, Hoy-Fox Lexus in El Paso, TX put in my car 248.4 miles when I took it for them to replace the faulty ML amp. When I questioned them about it they said that they were "test driving" the car to see if they could replicate my problem Not only that, but I had a full tank of gas when I dropped it off and when they gave it back to me the car had the low gas warning light on and the needle was all the way on E... the car was running on fumes!!!

And you know what the WORST part of it all was? that they didn't replace the amp at all I had to go back again so that they could replace the freakin' amp.

I was soooo MAD
Old 09-27-06, 12:34 AM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

LOL i had 400 miles put on my car for prototyping.. the bodyshop was far.. well thats what they told me. but they were nice so i just figured that the bodyshop was far and let it go.. so.. your 18miles?? dont even worry about it.
Old 09-27-06, 01:13 AM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by AZ IS350
I know I should have said something right away but I had to go. My service receipt shows mileage in/out as the same so they covered themselves nicely. I'm willing to accept that they had to take it to an offsite body shop but 18mi is excessive without at least mentioning it to me.

I've decided to take it back anyway. There's a large uneven gap where the spoiler sits on the trunk lid that I don't think should be there. Unless someone can post pics showing me the same gap on theirs.

My first time personally using this stealership for service and I'm disappointed. I've come to expect a higher level of service from Lexus. I'll give them a chance to straighten this out before I trash them publicly though.

um yeah... downforce testing... thorough service on their part. The back end kept getting away from me on the freeway anyway.
Which dealership did you go to??
Old 09-27-06, 03:08 AM
CeoStatus0
Pole Position

yea which dealer is it.. its funny cause i thought about checking milage on my car when i pick it up.. but i'm always to lazy to bother with it.. but i am gonna keep an eye on it now

plus i'm talking my car back to the dealership this week to redo tints.. i want to see if its the same as mine haha
Old 09-27-06, 07:10 AM
bgarre
Driver

AZIS350 - What dealership did you take it to? I've had good luck with Scottsdale and Superstition so far and they actually do a good job washing the car (unless it's Black then I wouldn't). When I had my spoiler installed the "contract" group came to my work and installed it in the parking lot using 3M tape ( no holes were drilled). 18 miles seems a bit much for taping a spoiler on. I would ask them why.
Old 09-27-06, 07:43 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are way too nice/forgiving... Especially you Alex350... If a dealership did that to my car, I would demand a new car...
Old 09-27-06, 10:08 AM
bgarre
Driver

My guess was they drove the car to Scottsdale Lexus to install the spoiler.

Quick Reply: Dealer put 18 miles on my car installing spoiler?