IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

service experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-06 | 05:23 PM
carss
Driver School Candidate

Default service experience

I took my car to the dealer today for a couple of rattles and noises from the center console (they insulated it), left side (sounds like it is coming close from the speaker on the door but cannot find it) and right side close to the door (could not find it either). I just bought it about 2 weeks ago - 2007 IS350.

When I went to pick it up the plastic border around the navigation had marks from the screwdriver they used to remove it to put insulation in. I told them about it and they said they will order a new one and replace it.

As I drive off the dealership I notice a crack on the windshield about 1 inch long (looks like a rock hit it) and a couple small ones (pin head size)! I drive back and tell them about it and they said that basically what I sign when I give them the car is a waiver that these things can happen and my insurance is responsible!

The service manager also noticed small scratch on the paint just under the drivers door. None of these were there! And what is worse is that the rattles/noises are still there. They did over 50 miles with the car but they say they forgot to take the miles down when I took it in so they are not sure how many they did.

In any case they will try to repair the windshield crack tomorrow even though they say they don't have to but since it is a new car they will. What would you do about this in my case? I am afraid to let them touch the car again, not even mention the rattles and live with them. Am I really responsible when they have the car in their hands and they are test driving it?
Old 09-27-06 | 06:06 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 500000

Dealers suck. Fix the rattles yourself or live with them.

Man, I can't count the number of dealer "horror story" threads I've read in the past week...
Old 09-27-06 | 06:20 PM
adhana2
Driver School Candidate

which dealership was this?
Old 09-27-06 | 06:23 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

If the repairs need anything that involve removing pieces then you run the risk of surface damage. This shouldn't happen, but it all to often does. Never sign ANYTHING releasing the vehicle until you've done a physical inspection first.
Old 09-27-06 | 06:49 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

FYI - a waiver of negligent conduct that has yet to occur is unenforceable. Make a list of the damages the dealer caused to your vehicle and tell the Service manager that you would like them repaired. If they cracked your windshield, they should replace it.
Old 09-27-06 | 06:57 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
FYI - a waiver of negligent conduct that has yet to occur is unenforceable. Make a list of the damages the dealer caused to your vehicle and tell the Service manager that you would like them repaired. If they cracked your windshield, they should replace it.
Certainly, but of course you would have to prove there was no damage prior to servicing.
Old 09-27-06 | 07:13 PM
ABC
Racer
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by Technique
Man, I can't count the number of dealer "horror story" threads I've read in the past week...
No kidding!! I don't even want to bring my car to them for the 5k stuff anymore. Damn... I would have thought lexus would be a notch above the rest. Guess dealers are all the same after all
Old 09-27-06 | 07:49 PM
revspeed
Driver

I brought my car in for the 5k service at LEXUS OF WESTMINSTER, my service guy was great but the cashier was a *****. She act like she owns the place and wasnt very pleasant at all. pick up the car and drove home and notice that both of my headlights have water in them..called him up and brought it back to show him the water damage. He ordered new headlights to replace em so hope everything goes smoothly during the install. Man I tell you I'm not too sure about Lexus quality anymore. Had my BMW 3 series for 5 years and no major problem at all...thinking about trading it in for the new 335i. All in all not every dealership are bad.
Old 10-21-06 | 04:17 PM
revspeed
Driver

ok...heres the follow-up so far. Called my service writer up to confirm appointment, appointment set but was told he only ordered one headlight instead of 2. We agreed that both headlights were to be ordered and replaced. Hes telling me that he only knew of one and trying to give me the runaround. Finally he agree to order the other one. Few days later went to the dealer to get is takn care of. A few hours latr got a call saying they ordered the wrong headlights....just dont know what to say anymore....have to wait till Monday now.
Old 10-21-06 | 04:39 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Mistakes happen, sometimes people have bad days. Hopefully the attitude doesn't continue. I have this friend that is super nice, he gets good service wherever he goes. His saying, "kill them with kindness.". As long as they take care of you in the end and how they go about it is what matters. You hear the same things about BMW and service. I think YMMV.