IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Aftermarket audio systems

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06, 12:08 PM
krazykanuk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket audio systems

After seeing the thread asking people to post their systems, I though how many owners have them or want them?

If I had a ISx50 I don't think I would do anything to the system, just get ML and leave it as is. Especially not do anything like replacing the head unit. I think aftermarket HUs look cheap no matter how well they're done, but thats my opinion.

Other thoughts?

Crap. Can I add a poll to this from the edit post screen?
Old 09-28-06, 12:28 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not to replace the HU, but to add subs or an amp. i dont think anyone is replacing the HU. a lot of the more sound system enthusiasts feel that the ML is not quite powerful enough. like myself, i usually listen to volume at 30+ and with some songs, the bass just doesn't sound that great. i have all the things for a custom audio setup in the trunk, i just dont have the money yet to get it put in.
Old 09-29-06, 12:31 AM
hguy4x
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can get a JL Clean Sweep. essentially it take the signal from the OEM HU and eqs so that it works better with aftermarket system.
Old 09-29-06, 11:27 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably 98% of Lexus buyers don't do anything aftermarket to their cars. Lexus knows this and for most buyers they do very good OEM sound systems

The IS does appeal to a younger buyer than the rest of the line, so that's why there are beginning to see more buyers mod'ing it. With the stereo, most IS owners that upgrade just add a small amp and sub to the stock system. Some go more wild and put multiple subs and bigger amps in. However those are still rare.

And then you have the 1/4% of IS owners that are total audiophiles. That includes me. I've been into car audio and car audio competitions for about 16 years. I've worked some on the side in recording studios. I have a moderately elabrate 7.1 home theater system, and when I get around to building a new house it will have its own very elaborate home theater. I am the head sound and recording tech at my church. I have a passion for audio.

So far I have replaced all my speakers with better aftermarket ones. I've added aftermarket amplifiers, DVD and CD changers, a 5.1 surround sound processor that would rival anything used in a recording studio, and lately a new audio/video system controller that has allowed me to keep the factory head unit and still control all my aftermarket audio sound sources. I'm constantly fiddling with it, changing something, be it the angle of one speaker or one band of the equalizer. It's a hobby for me and to be able to do it in a great car like the 2IS makes it better and more fun for me.
Old 09-30-06, 06:35 AM
sanwong
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hguy4x
you can get a JL Clean Sweep. essentially it take the signal from the OEM HU and eqs so that it works better with aftermarket system.
If you use the cleansweep you need to add a summing device
Old 09-30-06, 08:02 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by sanwong
If you use the cleansweep you need to add a summing device
thats why you're running both the LC8 and cleansweep?